Strawberries - when to throw out???

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok my bf brought home a few strawberries on Sunday and I decided to make strawberry shortcake. So I cut up the berries, added sugar, etc. and put them in a bowl in the fridge with the plan of eating them Monday evening.

Wellllllllllll I forgot. I forgot they were even there until this morning when I was looking for something else, lol. Question is, are they still ok to eat 3 days later or should I throw them out?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there mushy spots? or dried up looking spots? ... I'm guessing you'd know to toss them if there was mold.

If they look and feel fine I don't see why you couldn't eat them.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Are there mushy spots? or dried up looking spots? ... I'm guessing you'd know to toss them if there was mold.

If they look and feel fine I don't see why you couldn't eat them.
I agree....smell them too, if they smell funky, toss them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'll try them when I get home then! I just didn't know if they would spoil faster because of the sugar.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think the worst that would happen would that they would be soft and mushy but not spoiled.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you don't mind a slight hijack... I put some strawberries in a jar of Chambord (black raspberry liqour)and let them sit for oh, about 3 WEEKS. MmmmmHmmmm... Awesome!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If they're not mushy, they should be alright to use. We're bringing in the strawberry crop right now, and usually they're okay for 5 or 6 days in the fridge.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when in doubt- toss them out. i dunno, i've had food poisioning twice -so i try not to risk it if there's any doubt. usually i toss out my strawberries if i start to see any mold on them or they get really soft to the touch. if yours are still in good shape it might be ok.