Any sinus pain relief remedies??

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My sinuses are blocked and killing me. I took some Sudafed a while but they didn't do a lot, and being pregnant, I'm only going to take that sort of thing if they REALLY help, which they didn't.

I've done a sinus rinse, and put Vicks on my chest, and the sinus pain is still horrendous. I need sleep and can't sleep with this pain.

Anyone got any tips of what else could help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll give it a go, I'll try anything at this stage!!!!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing that I was told I could use was Sudafed too.I know it doesn't work very well.
If it gets to bad, you may need to be checked for a sinus infection.Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cold compress, it will help relieve some of the pressure. Just make up a bag with some ice or use an one of those premade ice packs and wrap in it a wash cloth.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was something on Oprah the other day for Sinus pain...That Dr. Oz was on and there is this little hing that almost looked like a Genie's lamp
but anyway a woman came up on stage and demonstrated it and I think it was a warm salt water solution and anyway, she tilted her head and poured some water in one nostril and it came out the other...they said this thing is available at drug stores...that's really all I know but the Dr swore by it for Sinus troubles.

Here it is:This was from Oprah's website:
What is a neti pot? Can it help with allergies and sinus problems?

It may look like a watering can or a genie bottle, but a neti pot—or "nose bidet"—may actually be the answer to your sinus woes. For thousands of years, Dr. Oz says people have been using similar devices to wash out their noses.

By pouring warm water from the neti pot into your nose, you can stimulate your sinuses and help clear out mucus. If the fluid builds up in your sinuses and causes pressure, you will experience pain, Dr. Oz says. This condition is known as sinusitis—inflammation of the sinuses.

Watch Dr. Oz explain how the sinuses work.

"A lot of folks that have allergies, who have sinusitis, that have conditions that we treat with medications are equally well treated by actually washing the areas of your body," he says. "When you think about it … you wash your underarms. You have bidets. Why wouldn't you wash a pretty important part of your body, your sinuses, in the same fashion?"

If your sinuses are working normally, they will clean themselves. "That's why you blow your nose," he says.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Benedryl - it is the only safe sinus medication for pregnancy and breastfeeding according to Motherrisk. I use it and it works well.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snort some cold water up your nose. Yes I know it sounds dingy, but I swear it works...especially if you're getting headaches from your sinuses.

Basically it causes you to do a hearty sneeze that really helps.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try some Bio-Freeze. It is actually pain rub, but it has a nice scent that will go through anything in your sinuses like a drill. I have found it works much better that Vick's Vap-o-Rub. It is also really good and safe for all those pregnancy related aches and pains. It has no petroleum based products and is all natural. You can get it at some pharmacies and many salons and day spas tht offer massage.
Some kitties just love the scent!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always found that Dristan works the best for me. Something you might want to try that is not a medication approach is Apple Spice Herb Tea. As strange as it sounds, if I am stuffed up and have a cup of Hot Apple Spice Tea it helps to loosen up my plugged sinuses and provides some temporary relief.
Give it a try .

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Advil cold & sinus is the only thing that works for me. I don't think you can take it though. Let me know if you can.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a neti pot. they do help.
i also take claritin everyday. and if i have a headache i use ibuprofen. i tried a couple prescription nasal sprays but they caused nosebleeds & one of them actually burned. ouch!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the saline nasal spray. It actually works really well. You can get it at your local pharmacy.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eucalyptus - in a diffuser. I love it and it makes the room smell great too!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been doing saline nasal rinses - the commercial version of a neti pot
In the clear sinus, it's fine, but in the blocked sinus, it keeps going in one nostril, and out into my mouth! So gross...

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll go to the doctor today since I think I now have a sinus infection.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

There was something on Oprah the other day for Sinus pain...That Dr. Oz was on and there is this little hing that almost looked like a Genie's lamp
but anyway a woman came up on stage and demonstrated it and I think it was a warm salt water solution and anyway, she tilted her head and poured some water in one nostril and it came out the other...they said this thing is available at drug stores...that's really all I know but the Dr swore by it for Sinus troubles.

Here it is:This was from Oprah's website:
What is a neti pot? Can it help with allergies and sinus problems?

It may look like a watering can or a genie bottle, but a neti pot—or "nose bidet"—may actually be the answer to your sinus woes. For thousands of years, Dr. Oz says people have been using similar devices to wash out their noses.

By pouring warm water from the neti pot into your nose, you can stimulate your sinuses and help clear out mucus. If the fluid builds up in your sinuses and causes pressure, you will experience pain, Dr. Oz says. This condition is known as sinusitis—inflammation of the sinuses.

Watch Dr. Oz explain how the sinuses work.

"A lot of folks that have allergies, who have sinusitis, that have conditions that we treat with medications are equally well treated by actually washing the areas of your body," he says. "When you think about it … you wash your underarms. You have bidets. Why wouldn't you wash a pretty important part of your body, your sinuses, in the same fashion?"

If your sinuses are working normally, they will clean themselves. "That's why you blow your nose," he says.
I was going to say that. It is called a Neti

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I've been doing saline nasal rinses - the commercial version of a neti pot
In the clear sinus, it's fine, but in the blocked sinus, it keeps going in one nostril, and out into my mouth! So gross...

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll go to the doctor today since I think I now have a sinus infection.
in my experience, the sprays are worthless. the neti pot really cleaned out my sinuses though.

i hope you don't have an infection. they hurt so much.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

in my experience, the sprays are worthless. the neti pot really cleaned out my sinuses though.

i hope you don't have an infection. they hurt so much.
Given I've been in agony since yesterday, and haven't slept more than a few hours the last 2 nights because of the pain, I'm pretty sure I do.

And now not only is my throat still really sore but I've started coughing as well

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Given I've been in agony since yesterday, and haven't slept more than a few hours the last 2 nights because of the pain, I'm pretty sure I do.

And now not only is my throat still really sore but I've started coughing as well
How you feeling today Sarah? Did you get more sleep?

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For sinus blockage, we use Afrin nasal spray, with the moisterizer stuff in it.

Using it too much will cause problems but once a day to clean up the marshmallow-head feeling works wonders.

Also another way to deal with sinus pressure is to have some VERY hot tea, with lots of honey & lemon, and about 3 shots of whiskey or rum in it. Called a "Hot Toddy". The honey is moisterizing, the lemon is full of vitamin C, the tea is ... well it's tea so it's healthy. And the liquor will help to make you forget about having that marshmallow-head feeling.

Zyrtek, a prescript med, also works miracles. Clears everything up. Dries you out though, makes yer tongue feel like a big piece of styrofoam. But it is THE best prescript stuff we've found!