Considering relocating... whats your town like?

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we have people here from all over, I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas.

DH and I are considering relocating. It's nice here, but boring... plus prices are getting insane. My homeowners insurance just doubled for no reason... I expect my taxes to do the same this year. Plus, this is just not the climate for me.

I am trying to find a town that fits the following... or as close as I can get.

1. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter. I'm from NY, so I'm not big on heat. DH is from FL, so he's not big on cold and has never seen snow. But also (if possible) still somewhat on the east side of the US... would like to visit family without crossing the country.

2. Can get a 3/2 house without spending millions. (Preferably under $200K - will not shy away from a fixer upper. I joke that I am the original toolbelt diva... she just got the show first
)

3. Taxes won't be more than I make in a year.

4. NO HURRICANES! (Ok, at least fewer hurricanes than FL)

5. Has something to do... even if it's just a main street with mom 'n' pop shops or something. I work from home, so sometimes I just want to get out... and here the only thing to do is either go to walmart or barnes and noble... both good choices, but get really boring after the 50th time.

6. Preferably near some kind of water. I've always lived on a coast... so while I don't really need to be on the ocean, having some kind of water nearby is comforting to me... *shrug*

7. Not an overly religious community. Ok, please no one take that personally. I truly don't mean any harm or offense to anyone. DH and I are just not really religious people and some of the towns in the south are a little overly religious for our taste. People can worship whoever they want for all I care.... I'm just not a fan of being stalked in the grocery store parking lot by someone trying to preach at me. (Happens about once a month) Or like one time when I was trying to walk on the beach one night and was surrounded by a group of 5 who wouldn't leave me alone until they said their whole speech and shoved pamphlets in my pockets. Religion is fine... stalking is annoying.

8. Would love an 'arty' or 'eccentric' community... but I don't know how likely that is. Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Anyone know a place with any of these characteristics?

Thanks much for your help!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Asheville, NC. There is a great arty community there - I lived there for 6 years and loved it.

The nearest body of water is Lake Lure - lovely place, that is.

There are religious people there but they are not like you described - they don't stalk you
and a lot of great people there.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
eh...you won't like where I live then (SE MI). To live in a good decent neighborhood (with the artsy side to it) You'll be paying 150K or more for a house and taxes will be nuts.

But it'll be like you're NY...same latitude. Plus there aren't any jobs here. But No Hurricanes!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I like our town of Gardendale
. We are on the north side of Birmingham (major central city, best hospitals, etc.). Traffic on our side of "town" is not nearly as bad as south of Birmingham; we have at least 2 major routes in and out of the city to the major work centers. We are about a 5 hour drive from the beach (Florida and Alabama coast), 5 hours from Gatlinburg and the Smokey Mountain area, 3 hours from Nashville, Tn, and 2 1/2 hours from Atlanta. There are at least 2 nice, big, lakes in an hour's drive from here, and nice national parks. Housing is very affordable. You can find a 3 bedroom, 2 bath (starting with a moderate fixer-upper) for probably around $150K, judging my the newspaper tonight, in a decent to nice section of town. Houses in my neighborhood seem to start at about $175K these days, and we moved here 8 years ago- thankfully before the housing boom-lol- and we have good size lots and mature trees that the developer left standing everywhere (one of the reasons why we liked it
). Taxes are also pretty reasonable- 9% sales tax kinda irkes, but property taxes are like $1000 for a $200K house.

There is a good size arts community nearby in downtown Birmingham, and several theaters/community theaters. They are also revitalizing downtown Birmingham with loft communities, etc. but they have a long way to go before I would live there (safety issues).

The Greater Birmingham area also has 2 botanical gardens, a zoo, a waterpark/amusement park (haven't been there, but hear it's fun), and outlet shopping (of course). The state of Alabama has everything from beaches to mountains and has been said to be one of the most beautiful states around (and not by just us lol).

In our town specifically, we are small, but have a theater group, etc., a movie and entertainment (bowling, etc.) complex that is going in soon, a small art festival, and while it is a pretty "religous" community, no one is going around beating people with their Bibles- it just means that cursing outloud in the grocery store is a stand out event- lol
. Major malls and other entertainment is about 30 mins. away in several different directions. Our police force is also very good, which is always a plus.

If we didn't live here, I'd pick Charlotte, North Carolina. My parents lived there for a few years, and it was beautiful! Downtown was full of plants and trees, shopping and resturants, and was inviting to look at and visit!

Nashville, Tennessee, is also a really nice place to live. I have family that lives there, and there is a lot to see and do there.

The prettiest thing about all 3 of these places is the land and nice mix of urban and rural. Whew! I've talked your ear off- sorry about that!
Good luck! Have fun researching!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about Southeastern MN?
Completely different climate than Florida!

Its gorgeous here tho- we are right on the Mississippi, and we're about 30,000 people. Always something fun going on!

No hurricanes, just tons of snow- cold cold winters, and hot hot summers.... if you like a change of climate- MN is the way to go!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could pick where I will live! With my career, I won't have much choice if any.

Move to Cleveland, I'm serious. The weather is mild with plenty of snow (nothing like MN though!), you can get a nice house for 150 and a really nice house for 200 in the suburbs, taxes are decent especially if you live within the metroparks where there's no room for development anymore, no hurricanes ever, but it's on beautiful Lake Erie (unless you like swimming
) there is tons to do, and it has been named the most cosmopolitan city in America and also has an area with the highest percentage of gay people, and if you want 'arty' and 'eccentric' there's Oberlin and Nelson's Ledges and Peninsula not far away at all.

If I could have stayed, I'd rather live there than anywhere else.

Or you could move to Santa Fe NM. The altitude keeps it from being too hot in summer. But the price thing would definitely get you.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

How about Southeastern MN?
Completely different climate than Florida!

Its gorgeous here tho- we are right on the Mississippi, and we're about 30,000 people. Always something fun going on!

No hurricanes, just tons of snow- cold cold winters, and hot hot summers.... if you like a change of climate- MN is the way to go!
My thoughts exactly Kenz!

C'mon....take a walk on the wild side!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Asheville, NC. There is a great arty community there - I lived there for 6 years and loved it.
I had been considering Asheville.. it seemed really nice when I drove through it... all 5 minutes I was there while driving to FL
But I've been reading a lot of reviews that said they roll up the streets at 7pm... is there *anything* to do there at night? I don't necessarily need a bar or a club or anything... just a place so I can leave the house...

Originally Posted by lunasmom

But it'll be like you're NY...same latitude. Plus there aren't any jobs here. But No Hurricanes!
Oy... I'm getting flashbacks of why I left NY

Originally Posted by catsallover

Personally, I like our town of Gardendale
Sounds lovely. I've actually never been to AL... is it crazy hot in the summer where you are? I'm hoping to get away from the 'OMG I'm gonna MELT!' heat ;D

Originally Posted by catsallover

while it is a pretty "religous" community, no one is going around beating people with their Bibles- it just means that cursing outloud in the grocery store is a stand out event- lol
Ok I'll have to watch myself. In the town where I grew up, the 'f word' wasn't a curse... it was a comma
But I'm getting better! Really!

Originally Posted by babyharley

OMG I think DH would drop dead! He went to NY for work the week before Christmas. It wasn't snowing, but darn if I didn't get an earful every night about how cold it was

Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I wish I could pick where I will live! With my career, I won't have much choice if any.
I hear that. When I decided to move the first time part of the problem was finding a state that had an opening in my line of work. But part of this is that I'm also planning a career change. While I earn good money and I get to work from home now, this was just never an industry I wanted to be in. So, the plan is to earn even better money and work from home in an industry I actually like

Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Move to Cleveland, I'm serious. The weather is mild with plenty of snow (nothing like MN though!),
(...)
Or you could move to Santa Fe NM. The altitude keeps it from being too hot in summer. But the price thing would definitely get you.
Oy, more snow. I would totally live in snow again, but poor DH. I really think he'd die. I really like OH tho... did some work in Cuyahoga county for a while. If it weren't for the snow, I'd probably go back.

And yeah.. that price thing in Santa Fe... whew!
I just did a search on the rough equivalent of my current house... $270K easy. Ooh thank you no

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

I am currently in Portland, OR. We get a teensy bit of snow in the winter... a bit of heat in the summer (okay, last summer was a smidgen warm).

We have a very artsy community here.

But all that aside... go to www.findyourspot.com seriously. You fill out a rather extensive survey of what you want... and then it spits out a list of 20 towns, everything from big cities to tiny towns. The survey is worth it, trust me.

My #2 was Portland. #1 was a small town in Wisconsin. I couldn't even get apt listings for that place, so I opted for Portland... I like it. So far. We have an excellent public transit system... I just wish my jobs were easier to get to with it. Lots of stuff to do and see. Artsy stuff, nature stuff. With the list you get an overview of the town. Then I started doing more 'homework' on Portland.

A.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
don't move to memphis- the crime just keeps getting worse. bartlett,tn though- where i just moved is literally down the road and is really nice /pretty safe though! lots of stuff to do and it's only a little ways away from downtown memphis where beale street and all that fun stuff is! there's always something to do around here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

But all that aside... go to www.findyourspot.com seriously. You fill out a rather extensive survey of what you want... and then it spits out a list of 20 towns, everything from big cities to tiny towns. The survey is worth it, trust me.
This site says my #1 city is Norfolk, Va and my #2 is Hampton, Va. I would have never guessed that in a million years - especially since I swore off VA since it took me a million years to drive through it on my way to FL
But wow... this is such a neat site! Thanks so much!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This site says my #1 city is Norfolk, Va and my #2 is Hampton, Va. I would have never guessed that in a million years - especially since I swore off VA since it took me a million years to drive through it on my way to FL
But wow... this is such a neat site! Thanks so much!
VA is supposed to be pretty nice! Colin lived in Virginia Beach when he was stationed in the Navy there a few years back and he said he loved it!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i took the quiz and got:

norfolk, va
nashville,tn
charlotte,tn (I ALMOST moved there too a few years back to go to Queens!)
oklahoma city, ok (my cousin lives in noble,ok so that's close to her!)
knoxville, tn
cincinatti, oh

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Since we have people here from all over, I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas.

DH and I are considering relocating. It's nice here, but boring... plus prices are getting insane. My homeowners insurance just doubled for no reason... I expect my taxes to do the same this year. Plus, this is just not the climate for me.

I am trying to find a town that fits the following... or as close as I can get.

1. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter. I'm from NY, so I'm not big on heat. DH is from FL, so he's not big on cold and has never seen snow. But also (if possible) still somewhat on the east side of the US... would like to visit family without crossing the country.

2. Can get a 3/2 house without spending millions. (Preferably under $200K - will not shy away from a fixer upper. I joke that I am the original toolbelt diva... she just got the show first
)

3. Taxes won't be more than I make in a year.

4. NO HURRICANES! (Ok, at least fewer hurricanes than FL)

5. Has something to do... even if it's just a main street with mom 'n' pop shops or something. I work from home, so sometimes I just want to get out... and here the only thing to do is either go to walmart or barnes and noble... both good choices, but get really boring after the 50th time.

6. Preferably near some kind of water. I've always lived on a coast... so while I don't really need to be on the ocean, having some kind of water nearby is comforting to me... *shrug*

7. Not an overly religious community. Ok, please no one take that personally. I truly don't mean any harm or offense to anyone. DH and I are just not really religious people and some of the towns in the south are a little overly religious for our taste. People can worship whoever they want for all I care.... I'm just not a fan of being stalked in the grocery store parking lot by someone trying to preach at me. (Happens about once a month) Or like one time when I was trying to walk on the beach one night and was surrounded by a group of 5 who wouldn't leave me alone until they said their whole speech and shoved pamphlets in my pockets. Religion is fine... stalking is annoying.

8. Would love an 'arty' or 'eccentric' community... but I don't know how likely that is. Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

i live in eugene, Oregon. the opposite side of the location you want.

we are about 2-4 hours away from the coast but close to two rivers and lots of mountains, rivers, lakes and streams. it rains a lot here though. in the summer it usually doesn't get over 100, it occasionally goes over but that is only in august. in the winter, no matter how wet, it may snow at the most 2 weeks total for the whole winter. it is the northwest, specifically west of the Rocky's and Cascades, and in the Willamette valley, one of the most temperate climate in the US.

i don't know the taxes situation but it i am pretty sure that other than California, the taxes are lower than the east coast especially i'm sure Florida and I know in NY. and we have lots of fixer uppers.

no hurricanes. just lots of rain and winter storms. occasionally there is twisters but they never do damage and barely touch ground.

there is tons to do. it is a university town so if you care about that there is always something going on there. and there is lots of mom 'n pop stores, tons of theatres, there is two malls within 30 minutes, one in eugene(Valley River Center) and one in Springfield (Gateway), a kind of sister town across the river. tons of small new and used bookstores and other things like that. there is lots of parks and places where you have access to water. you can find almost any type of food here. and this is just stuff i know. if you want to know more about that all you have to do is search for eugene, or on google. and springfield is a smaller town of the same thing. and it is cheaper to live in. it has a small town feel but is big enough and diverse enough to have everything you need.

not that big on religion. and the university is the "arty" university in oregon and eccentric is a good way to describe almost everyone. people are nice and there are lots who are willing to help. lots of different accents, styles and cultures all mixed together.

from your conditions it sounds like you would like eugene/springfield. i have lived here for the past two years and i love it, it is one of the few towns/city's i actually like, to tell you the truth. i really only like Seattle, NY, Eugene and Springfield.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds lovely. I've actually never been to AL... is it crazy hot in the summer where you are? I'm hoping to get away from the 'OMG I'm gonna MELT!' heat ;D
As they say here, it's not the heat, it's the humidity
-lol. It's not the same as in Florida-that scorching, sunburn on the way to the mailbox kind of heat (my best friend lived in Orlando until recently), but it can get into the 90's during the summer, and tends to stay in the mid to upper 80's the majority of late spring to fall. They say around here "If you don't like the weather, stick around for a couple of days- it'll change" and it is so true! Our meterologists are some of the best paid people in town!
Occasionally, we get snow, and more often (but not the most recent summers), it gets into the upper 90's (and then it seems to follow us when we try to escape to New England- at least we have A/C everywhere here!
).

Ok I'll have to watch myself. In the town where I grew up, the 'f word' wasn't a curse... it was a comma
But I'm getting better! Really!
You should have seen my mom trying to adjust - they moved here about 4 years ago. She's managed, though- I'm impressed!
It's been good practice for having 3 toddler grandchildren-lol.

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok Im probably the only PA lover here but here are some great points about Pa and where I live. I hate small towns and the cold but I love where I live....
1. There is more to do that the bars and club scenes. Wal Mart, Mom&Pop shops, We are not far away from Harrisburg, Poconos and amusement parks.
Most are only n hour and a half tops from our town.
2. It really isnt that bad in the winter, I HATE snow with a passion but we seem to get the bleh part of snow storms it really isnt bad around here...Mostly you just have to worry about the rainish parts making things icey but PennDot takes care of the rds really great.
3. There is ALWAYS something to do. Im 22 and can always find stuff to do with my kids or pets or just me and Dave all the time...Its kinda hickish where we live but someone is always doing something...
4. NOONE parties like Prince during 1999 around here.. You have you fair share of DUI's but it isnt drug or alcohold central around here, from growing up during the crucial drinking and drunk influential parts of life I havent been all about doing either...It just isnt something that seems to be a hassle like most big cities...
5. All big cities for us are an hour to 2 hours away, Harrisburg, Hershey, Poconos etc....We are about 3 hrs max from most major cool places to go cept the beaches its like 4-5 hrs but always fun cuz there are great places worth stopping at.
6...SUSQUEHANNA RIVER ROCKS...Im scurred of fishes (lovin my cats for eating fishes..lol) but there is nothing like floatin on the susquehannie on your fanny...(Susquehanna Univ. sponsers an event every year for a charity called Floating Down the Suquehannie on your Fanny) Its nice quiet and plenty of towns that have banks to do boating, jet skiing, etc. Fishing and hunting are both big in our area.
7. I dont know too many people that arent animal lovers, mostly dog lovers around this area but people are pretty respectful of seeing animals outside and dont really mess with them except to feed them and make sure they are ok. Ive never had an issue with any of my animals being outside with my neighbors...They may hate mine and Davids age area even tho we dont thro parties and stuff but they love our dog and cats, both my older neighbors have adopted kittens from David and I and are really great with our daughters.

*I can think of plenty of things to hate about Pa but I honestly wouldnt rather live anywhere else. Its a scenic state to go thru but at the same time its an amazing place to live. People are great and take care of one another. The only other place I would be all about is North Carolina. Its my dream state I loved living in Fort Bragg but gimme Pa any day...Its just a perfect proximity state to see everything and go anywhere...* Good luck finding a place to relocate and I hope everything goes well!!!!!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cant remember what there is to do in Asheville after 7pm.
Of course, pubs are open and there are some popular night spots such as Magnolias.

This is the website for the town - I hope it helps!

http://www.asheville.com/

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Richmond VA and I like it here! Plenty to do and lots of shopping. And we don't roll up the sidewalks at 10pm either

No hurricanes either really.

The heat... well, I can't do anything about that. Its hot and humid in the summer. It gets cold in the winter, but we rarely get much snow or anything. The last 2 years we had maybe 1 inch total of snow and no ice.

and best reason of all, I'm here!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Columbus Georgia! Just about the same weather you have just less daily rain. AFLAC is here as a MAJOR employer as is TSYS. You would have a built in friend (me) You are close to Florida so you can go on vacation. We have Callaway Garden about 45 minutes away depending on where you live. Plenty of houses on the market. The Mountains (Pine Mountain and FDR State Park) lots of shopping and restaurants. Relatively low crime rate IMO and if you move out to Harris County (pretty much a suburb of Columbus) there is even less crime and its a lot quieter. Lets see what else I can find for you!