My stupid friend

bakearama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a friend that I love to death but she is beginning to bother me. I don't mind the little quirks that she has (like pronouncing the A at the end of cocoa). But now she has done something just plain stupid. I found out the other day that her cat is pregnant. They have an outdoor cat that they did not have spayed! I have not seen the cat before but she talks about her very often. This friend doesn't seem to know too much about what she is doing; The new mom is a year old and should have the babies early next month. I told my friend that she needs to have the mom spayed asap after she gives birth and that she needs to make sure that the kittens are spayed/neutered as well. I guess I shouldn't be upset only at her because we are both just highschool students; it is her family's fault too. I just find it irritating that they sould let a cat live outside and not her her spayed.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an orange tabby female cat.She is fixed though!
As for the friend, I hope she has her mom and kits all fixed and finds GOOD homes for them all.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bakearama

I have a friend that I love to death but she is beginning to bother me. I don't mind the little quirks that she has (like pronouncing the A at the end of cocoa). But now she has done something just plain stupid. I found out the other day that her cat is pregnant. They have an outdoor cat that they did not have spayed! I have not seen the cat before but she talks about her very often. This friend doesn't seem to know too much about what she is doing; She says that the cat is an orange tabby, which I find hard to believe because it's pregnant. The new mom is a year old and should have the babies early next month. I told my friend that she needs to have the mom spayed asap after she gives birth and that she needs to make sure that the kittens are spayed/neutered as well. I guess I shouldn't be upset only at her because we are both just highschool students; it is her family's fault too. I just find it irritating that they sould let a cat live outside and not her her spayed.
there are just some things you cannot convince some people of. I too, have friends who I don't feel are "doing right" by their animals cause they aren't spayed or whatever...BUT-friends are just that-we love them despite their imperfections, not because of them. So treat your friend the way you would want to be treated.
Maybe she doesn't realize what a problem overpopulation really is, maybe she doesn't know just how many cats/kittens get euthanized every day...but she's NOT GOING TO LISTEN if you make her feel defensive.
You have to use tact and "season" your words so she'll really hear you. Once a person is offended, they close their ears, then nothing will get done. So, take a deep breath, think about how you would react if you were in her shoes, and act accordingly. Maybe she'll listen and see the need to act.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bakearama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand what you are saying happy cat, and that is exactly what I will do. Tomorrow when I see her I will tell her about TCS and hopefully she will come here and learn how to take care of the cat and maybe she will be convinced to have them all fixed. I didn't actually yell at her, I just said "Oh that's really cool, I can't wait to see the kittens. But you are going to make sure that they get spayed right?" She said that she might have the cat spayed and that they didn't mean for her to get pregnant.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well just hope that the cat has 9 kittens...then maybe they will think about spaying it

Perhaps they can't catch the cat and that is why its only outdoors and you've never seen it????

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for the record there is nothing unbelievable about orange tabby females. I have one right now and I have seen many many of them in the past few years sine I have gotten into rescuing.

it is hard to resist the erge to smack people who do this though isn't it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bakearama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They can catch her because she comes inside at night. The reason that I haven't seen the cat is that I have never been at her house for longer than 10 minutes and the cat is running around outside when I am there.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully she can find good people who want kittens. My mom just picked up a couple kittens from a lady in a simular situation. More than likely the kittens would have ended up in pound anyway. The shelter and the pound in my mother's town both kill animals if they don't sell within so many days