Aluminum Foil

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colin said the most odd thing this morning
He made us lunch today (chili with rice -sooooo yummy!
) and he said, "Hey Nikki- do you promise the next time you get aluminum foil, that you will get me reynolds wrap and not the cheap stuff?" I was like "huh" lol.... tooo funny!
I don't really see a difference between reynolds wrap and the cheap stuff i can get at dollar tree- but Colin swears the cheaper stuff tears more and doesn't last as well
So i guess i'll get him reynolds wrap the next time
Can anyone tell a difference between the less expensive stuff vs. reynolds wrap. The only difference i can see is the price

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I can tell the difference, too, having used both.
I prefer the "real" kind, too.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely a difference, but it depends on whether I'm living by myself or with someone as to whether or not I buy the cheepies or the Reynolds. Also depends on what I'm doing with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Actually, I can tell the difference, too, having used both.
I prefer the "real" kind, too.
lol well glad colin's not the only one then
i was starting to wonder for a minute there- what a funny thing for him to say
it was quite random!

Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Definitely a difference, but it depends on whether I'm living by myself or with someone as to whether or not I buy the cheepies or the Reynolds. Also depends on what I'm doing with it.
if it were up to me i'd get the cheaper version of it, but since he has a preference, i'll get the kind he likes since i don't have a preference really

Originally Posted by mybabyphx

My boyfriend complains about me getting the cheap stuff too.... So I have to buy the expensive stuff.....
whatever!
lol what is it with men today and aluminum foil

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate cheapo aluminum foil...I use a.foil for EVERYTHING, covering hotdogs, bowls cuz I never can find the tupperware lids...I will never buy cheap stuff again cuz it always tears easy and heaven forbid I be able to unwrap a pack of hot dogs without it tearing..It seems that R.W. is the only stuff worth spending 4 bucks on...Im all for it!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't buy the expensive stuff, but I don't buy dollar store stuff either. I use the store brand, which here is actually pretty good. It doesn't tear really easily and its not too expensive.

boog's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've noticed a difference with the cheapo plastic wrap vs the "real" stuff, but not the foil so much.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I just found out something interesting! I went to see what the aluminum foil was called that I use (it is cheaper than Reynolds Wrap, but I like it as well!) and looked to see who it is made by- and it is "Diamond brand", made by..."Reynolds Consumer Products, a Business of Alcoa Inc". And who is Reynolds Wrap (I have the "Release" Heavy Duty non-stick aluminum foil for baking sticky cookies- works like a charm, btw
and the Diamond for everything else ) made by? "Alcoa Consumer Products a business of Alcoa Inc".

There ya go! Compromise!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Well I just found out something interesting! I went to see what the aluminum foil was called that I use (it is cheaper than Reynolds Wrap, but I like it as well!) and looked to see who it is made by- and it is "Diamond brand", made by..."Reynolds Consumer Products, a Business of Alcoa Inc". And who is Reynolds Wrap (I have the "Release" Heavy Duty non-stick aluminum foil for baking sticky cookies- works like a charm, btw
and the Diamond for everything else ) made by? "Alcoa Consumer Products a business of Alcoa Inc".

There ya go! Compromise!
thanks!!!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use aluminum foil often at all.I have heard way to many horror stories about it causing Alheizmers.(sp)

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that mainly has to do with aluminum cookware leaching out into the cooked food. As rarely as I bake, I don't think it will be a problem for us!
They've also found high levels of teflon in blood tests, I believe...I wish they would just let us know something for a fact
- it's so hard to know what's best sometimes...*sigh*

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we try to avoid letting foil get into contact with our food, and parchment paper really helps. When we need to cover something that doesn't have a lid, we put parchment across the top as a liner before molding the foil down around the container... and we always use parchment to line aluminum baking sheets and dishes.

Side benefits -- things don't stick to parchment, parchment makes it harder to burn things on the bottom (though I still manage it now and then
), and best of all... no cleanup! You just wad the paper up and throw it away. And it biodegrades quickly, too!