Hairball-Control cat food... Does it work?

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats will throw up food/hairballs about once a week. My other cat has only done it once or twice in her life.

My cats will NOT let me brush them. My female cat will nibble at me and try to run away. If I try to brush my tabby boy, he will claw the heck out of me.

So I wanted to start buying hairball control food. Does anybody buy it? What brand do you purchase? Have you noticed that your cat doesn't vomit as much anymore?

Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WHat are u currently feeding??

You may just need a higher end food ...

My Zoey eats a mix of Natural choice( nutro) and wellness CORE

I put her on NC for the hairball control

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm feeding a mix of Nutro Natural Senior and Wellness Indoor. i'm not going to buy another bag of Wellness. it's expensive, and one of my cats is picking around it to eat Nutro. i've noticed my cats rarely barfed on Natural Balance, as well as Nutro Natural (senior/indoor senior formulas because mine are all over 7 yrs). but once i started mixing in Wellness Indoor, they've started having more hairball/barfing issues again.
so we will definitely not be continuing wellness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mostly feed them Nutro Adult cat Indoor formula. Sometimes I will give them Friskies canned food about three times a week as a treat.

My next bag is going to be a hairball-control type food... I hope it works....

Thanks for the repsonses

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know this is a food related question, but have you tried a different brush/comb? All of my cats except Pippin HATE the metal toothed brushes that they sell for pets. He loves any brushing or combing.

My cats like a plastic revlon people brush, a flea comb, and a fine tooth plastic comb.
My friend has a long haired cat who they said hated to be brushed. They used a weird cat comb. I can't remember the name of it, but it had like two flattened claws on it and it was used to remove excess hair. A shedding comb maybe? Anyways, he hated it. I used a fine toothed plastic people comb on him and he loved it. He even rolled onto his back for me to do his belly. I combed him for about a half hour and could have continued.

Anyways, just a suggestion to try other brushes and combs. It really helps a lot to cut down on the hair balls.

I'd also suggest a kitty water fountain. I know your cat is coughing up hairballs, but they can also get stuck in the intestinal tract and lots of water keeps things moving through.

Good luck!

Devlyn

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swanie hated the combs as well, but since I got the Zoom Groom he starts purring whenever he sees me with it, and flops over for me to brush. I'm not sure it gets as much hair as a comb, and I end up with hair all over the place. I used to get hairball control food, and didn't see any hairballs. Now that I don't feed that brand, I have been seeing a few from Cindy (who won't let me comb or brush), so maybe it does work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats hate being brushed! I wonder if it's something I'm doing wrong...

One of my cats hates it and will just run away when I come near her with a comb and my other cat will claw the heck outta me.

I found a really great brush though, it's called the Furminator

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FiftyFour

One of my cats will throw up food/hairballs about once a week. My other cat has only done it once or twice in her life.

My cats will NOT let me brush them. My female cat will nibble at me and try to run away. If I try to brush my tabby boy, he will claw the heck out of me.

So I wanted to start buying hairball control food. Does anybody buy it? What brand do you purchase? Have you noticed that your cat doesn't vomit as much anymore?

Thanks!
I would agree that the reason for the hairballs is the lack of brushing. When I started brushing Persi, I would brush just a tad and feed him a Pounce. Then brush a tad more, feed him another Pounce. Then I would let him go. The next day I would increase the time interval just a tad and let him go. After a couple of weeks I was able to completely groom him from head to toe and then give him a handful of Pounce. I did start this from the age 7 weeks so this method may not work for you, but what the heck, you might want to try it because now Persi runs and gets on the dryer for his brushing whenever I show him his grooming comb.