People who can't keep their cats.

missy ro-ro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today I received an email forwarded from a friend, forwarded from someone else, about a person that can no longer keep their cat and is looking for a new home for it. This is the second email in a week like this that I have received. I just don't understand how someone can make a committment to an animal and then just decide they can't do it anymore. It makes me so mad!

One email was about a girl who had her cat for 4 years, but was getting married and the new husband was allergic. I can't imagine giving up my cats for any reason, and after 4 years it would be devastating to me and I think the cats. Is this really a good reason? I just get so frustrated because there people that will adopt animals but to them it is not a lifetime committment, and it should be!!

I really feel bad for the cats that are getting tossed aside. I hope they can find good homes but what are the odds?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don't understand how someone can make a committment to an animal and then just decide they can't do it anymore.
Sometimes there are times when it IS best for the animal to be rehomed.I have had to do it and I'm sure that are other members here that have had to as well.
Until you have walked in that persons shoes, I don't feel that anyone can fairly judge them.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopted Bickford out of a similar situation. I really feel for people who have to give up their kitties because it is hard. In Bickford's case the husband was allergic and they tried real hard to overcome the problem. At some point it became an issue of the side effects from medication, and Bickford wasn't responding well to being restricted to only certain areas of the house. I keep in touch with her, letting her know how he's doing and sending pictures. My late Freckles was also a surrender but for a different reason. His former owner was moving in with her boyfriend and he wouldn't let her bring 3 cats. (She could only bring 2 and she had to have them declawed
) I have a bigger problem with people giving up their pets for that reason.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I volunteer at the local HS. There are people who give their cats up for completely stupid reasons. How about the kitty who chewed in the kid's toys? The one that shed too much?(BTW, do you have any cats that shed less?) The one that made the baby cry?

Then there are the people who are heartbroken. They're moving & in this area, there is absolutely no place that will take pets, or else there's a $500+ deposit.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with a previous post.... it's hard to judge someone when you haven't walked in their shoes. Some people have reasons why they have to get rid of their pets... I do know that there are alot of stupid excuses out there, but in that case the owners were obviously not meant to have those pets otherwise they wouldn't have been getting rid of them.

I got PHX off of Craigslist... this woman had 7 cats and when one of them ran away- she became sad.... this only left her with 6 cats. So she went to the animal shelter and got another cat (PHX) to replace the missing one. This brought her back up to having 7 cats. Well after a couple weeks the missing cat showed back up... then she had 8 cats. Well 8 cats was too much for her she said and wanted to get rid of PHX.... so she put him on craigslist. That's where I come into play. I went to see PHX... I adopted him the second I saw him.. I still update her every once in awhile to let her know how its going. I really feel that it was meant to be with me and PHX... me and my boyfriend absolutely love him and he's a perfect match! PHX is a siamese mix cat and needs alot of attention, with her I don't feel that he got enough attention with him competing against over a half dozen other cats. In our home right now we only have him, so he gets spoiled rotten.

You see how this is actually better for the 'CAT' in this situation?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right, that's how we got Whitey. He was never advertised at all, just heard about him through a co-worker.

Basically his previous owner had adopted him after a divorce from her husband, moved into an apartment with him (WHitey, not the husband) and got caught with the cat. Since she signed a year contract, she couldn't move and so she had to get rid of Whitey. We picked him up, litterbox and all and have been totally happy since.

btw, I think I know how he got caught...he's quite a vocal cat when wants something

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missy ro-ro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand that sometime there are legimate reasons for people having to give up their cats. But sometimes I just think people use any excuse to ignore their responsiblity. Basically it just makes me sad for the poor kitties.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh don't get me wrong! I feel so sorry as well. Especially when it's something so stupid and can easily be fixed by some patience! I think some people get a new cat and expect it to be perfect, but thats not always the case! I feel so bad, there are so many cats up for adoption on craigslist every day!
I wish they all found good loving homes!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for people who have to give them up because they get caught by the landlord... wth are they doing getting one in the first place??!?!?!

I've been living kittyless because my landlord won't allow one, and I'm moving when the lease is up, which thankfully is next month. They shouldn't take that chance, because then the kitty ends up in the shelter.

I see ads on craigslist all the time about college students who are moving away now that school is out, and can't take the cat with them, blah blah.

They shouldn't get one if they aren't prepared for a 15-20 year committment!

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
people have complicated lives...
could you honestly lay next to your husband in bed and listen to him wheez? or drive him to the hospital because he needs a breathing treatment?

don't be judgemental, sometimes sitations change and people REALLY have no other choice.

You can't just make a blanket statement that everybody who rehomes an animal is being irresponsible, that's not fair.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's completely understandable. Some people are allergic to cats.... just like me and my brother.... I grew out of it, and my brother takes shots once a week so that way he doesn't get sick from his allergies.

I don't think anyone here was upset with just one particular thing.... it's the idea as a whole that cats are always always being given away for no good reason. Not every cat is given away for no good reason, but alot of them.

Wow maybe this should be an IMO topic!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by happy cat

people have complicated lives...
could you honestly lay next to your husband in bed and listen to him wheez? or drive him to the hospital because he needs a breathing treatment?

don't be judgemental, sometimes sitations change and people REALLY have no other choice.

You can't just make a blanket statement that everybody who rehomes an animal is being irresponsible, that's not fair.
I agree!!!I have had to rehome some of mine due to medical reasons...........both fur and skin kind.I will not judge anyone based on wheither or not they have to rehome.There are to many things that can be the cause, and one never knows what they are unless they are shared.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hell, that's just bullcrap. Tell the boyfriend there are medications he can take for his allergies. I wouldn't give up my pet for any guy, if the guy won't take meds, get rid of him cuz he's not worth be married to.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am the one that is allergic to cats in this house and I DO take meds.But, due to Seth's inability to have ANY cats/ferrets/birds/anything with a strong ammonia smell, we do not and will not have any of those in our house.
Does that mean we love animals any less? NO, it means I put my children first and also think about the furkids and do what is best for them.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with you, our kits live a long time now if they stay healthy, people should realize that before adopting a cat. 'Getting rid' of cats or any other animal should not even be an option. You adopted it, you take care of it and that's that.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted ours with the honest intention of keeping them for life.But, as I said, life can and often does change, and we have to do what is best and right for all involved.If that means rehoming a furkid, then so be it.
Now, I know that adopting any more fur kids(cats and anything with strong urine smells) is out of the question.So,we will not be able to open our hearts to more cats/kittens.But, that is a choice that we can't help-- and will abide by it for Seth's health.
I will always do what is best for all of my kids --skin and fur.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I'm really torn about this. While I feel saddened by any poor creature that loses it's home, I really feel like it's better to be put out than to stay with someone who either can't or won't care for a kitty.

Now, there is no excuse for "disposing" of a companion animal in a cruel, irresponsible manner.
I have no sympathy for anyone who would abandon or injure an unwanted pet.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I should clarify, ours were re-homed.We still have Blaze(who is happy being an outside cat) and Bandit (our dog-also outside)
I do NOT agree with ANYONE dropping or dumping a live animal.

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Sometimes there are times when it IS best for the animal to be rehomed.I have had to do it and I'm sure that are other members here that have had to as well.
Until you have walked in that persons shoes, I don't feel that anyone can fairly judge them.
I am heartbroke that I had to give away my cat... but the 15 hour flight and ten day quarentine would have been too much for her. She doesn't eat when caged and ten days would have been much too long for her.

I was lucky to find a wonderful family for her that was understanding of the situation.

Crittermom: I very much agree with your last comment. It is hard and unfair to place judgement on a situation you've never been in.

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

Now, there is no excuse for "disposing" of a companion animal in a cruel, irresponsible manner.
I have no sympathy for anyone who would abandon or injure an unwanted pet.
Here here!!!

There are plenty of people kind enough to care for these animals until finding them a furever home!