help! need dry skin suggestions...

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hello cats and kittens: all these threads on what car/purse/shampoo/makeup have got me inspired to ask you all

what can I do about my very dry tight, itchy skin?

I love bath and body products but they dry me out too much and sometimes give me a rash on my chest.

I've tried everything in the shower gel soap isle at Walmart.

I do use cetaphil lotion after bath, but the soaps are killing me.

any suggestions?

thanks in advance
Sandy

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you tried somthing like a Goat's milk soap or somthing from a naturopathic store that may not have the additives that normal soaps have. I somtimes even make my own soap I can find you some recipies i'm sure, if your interested.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ponds Dry Skin Cream is REALLY good!!! (it's made for your face- so it's REALLY gentle on the skin on the rest of your body
)

Dionis Extra Rich Hand Cream - i swear by this stuff!!! It has goats milk in it and is perfect for hands/feet or any other area that gets dry!! www.dionissoap.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

have you tried somthing like a Goat's milk soap or somthing from a naturopathic store that may not have the additives that normal soaps have. I somtimes even make my own soap I can find you some recipies i'm sure, if your interested.
I have tried Aveda, kissmyface, glycerine soaps.
don't have time to make my own.

what do you think about a shower gel that has shea butter in it?

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Ponds Dry Skin Cream is REALLY good!!! (it's made for your face- so it's REALLY gentle on the skin on the rest of your body
)

Dionis Extra Rich Hand Cream - i swear by this stuff!!! It has goats milk in it and is perfect for hands/feet or any other area that gets dry!! www.dionissoap.com
thanks I'll check out the dionis website when I have a minute. do you know anything about shea butter? or Black african soap with shea butter?

thinking of trying that.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by happy cat

thanks I'll check out the dionis website when I have a minute. do you know anything about shea butter? or Black african soap with shea butter?

thinking of trying that.
I've never tried Black African soap (never heard of it) BUT www.lush.com makes a soap called coalface- it's a black soap and is supposed to be gentle on the skin. Dionis stuff is WONDERFUL!!! So is Lush too!!! They have a skin cream called Dream Cream and one called Lemony Flutter that are supposed to be wonderful for dry skin! Also they have many soaps/ body creams/etc that are formulated for dry skin and have coco butter in them!!! (coco butter is really moisturizing! Also- what you can do at night is after you shower/bathe- SLATHER on some Vaseline or Johnson & Johnson Baby Oil gel with Aloe & Vitamin E in it (walmart sells off brands of both that work just as well!!) slather it on then sleep in some breathable cotton pants/socks/top for the night- when you wake up -your skin will be SOOOOOOO soft!!!!! Then once you get your skin back to a supple level- start using the other creams/lotions perhaps. Also- body butters are really great for dry skin- walmart, target, bath and body works, the body shop - all of those places sell them!! Definitely try Dionis or Lush though- Dionis' extra rich hand cream is soooo great! I work at an animal shelter- so we're always using chemicals to clean down the dog runs/cages and even when i wear gloves- my hands get dried out- dionis keeps them in awesome condition and also comes in lots of yummy flavors!!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cheap fix that you may want to try is Baby Oil. The trick is to put it on while you are in the shower, after your clean. You don't need much, but just put it on like lotion. I have terribly dry skin and doing this makes my skin SO soft and healthy looking!

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try mixing oatmeal (yes, oatmeal) with your warm bath water and soak. Otherwise, you could always try epsom salts.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok, ladies, here is what I've done. I called the fatou.biz shea butter lady and she said she doesn't mail out samples, soooo

I went to Walgreens and got Aveeno shower wash, moisturizing formula. Made especially for tight, itchy dry skin!

Let's hope it works...

thanks to all who tried to help

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best moisturizer you can get and use is plain old Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. Slather it on right after a bath or shower on wet skin.

In between bath and showers I use Vitamin E cream by Jamieson on my hands and elbows, and Sally Hansen Miracle Cure for my feet.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the aveeno worked! out of the shower with no itchies!

the bottle says it has no soap, in it. I guess that's why

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

)
My boyfriend had that stuff, it worked really well. I use dove sensitive skin soap and vaseline for dry skin lotion. They work pretty well but my skin still gets itchy. I haven't found anything for being itchy yet. Maybe goldbond?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

My boyfriend had that stuff, it worked really well. I use dove sensitive skin soap and vaseline for dry skin lotion. They work pretty well but my skin still gets itchy. I haven't found anything for being itchy yet. Maybe goldbond?
cortizone- you can run a little dallop of it in with your regular lotion and it will keep you from itching.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For dry skin, I use Udder Cream. It's non-greasy, which is really important to me. Plus, Jack (my orange and white tabby) loves to lick me after I've used it. I think once you get rid of the dryness, the itch may take care of itself.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't survive without Aveeno lotion, the kind w/ the green on the bottle. It has collidial (sp) oatmeal in it. It is also non-perfumey and non-old-lady-smelling stuff.

No stinky stuff basically.

It is excellent for sensitive skin, which I have in spades. Your skin just drinks it in... it is non-greasy and lasts allllllll day long!

Anything Aveeno gets my vote. And I've tried everythang out there due to my picky sensitive skin (redhead).