Flea help

crazykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just received a 2 month old kitten from my sister in law. When she brought her, she informed me that she found 2 dead fleas, but gave her a flea bath.
I have another cat, and I do not want to get fleas. Right now now I have the new baby in our bathroom so hopefully the fleas won't spread. Any advice?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to your vet about which kind to use on both cats. You DON'T want any flea collars.

Do you have a flea comb? If not, get one - then go over the kitten and you cat really good - the kitten may have only had those 2 fleas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I hope so. I'm going to go to the store and get the comb.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make a bowl of warm soapy water (using Dawn Dish Soap), dip the flea comb in and then run it through the fur.

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can use Advantage on kittens 8 weeks of age or over. If I were you, I'd use it on both the kitten and your cat. Fleas are not just on the kitten, they are constantly laying eggs that make new fleas. It certainly won't hurt to treat them and will take care of it before it becomes a problem.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mermaid

You can use Advantage on kittens 8 weeks of age or over. If I were you, I'd use it on both the kitten and your cat. Fleas are not just on the kitten, they are constantly laying eggs that make new fleas. It certainly won't hurt to treat them and will take care of it before it becomes a problem.
Advantage is a good product, but please get your flea treatment from a vet. Dosage depends on weight (not age). Over-the-counter treatments often don't even work and can be deadly to your cat and that's no exaggeration.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else. You're going to have to take them both to the vet to get the right stuff for the little one. Fleas travel on anything, including you. Unless you flea dip yourself after you touch the kitten with fleas your cat has them too. This will be the only time you will need to pay the vet to do it. After the little on is old enough you can put the stuff on the kitties yourself.

I really hate the collars myself. They are dangerous and god knows what would happen if your kitty licks too much of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took Sally into the vet and she is doing good, she weighs 2 lbs 7 oz. He found no fleas or flea dirt.
He did have to put some medicine in her ears because he said it looked like she had mites at one time. I asked if I should put the frontline on her and he said that he didn't think it was necessary since I wasn't dealing with an infestation. I take her back in 2 weeks for her second round of vaccines. Thanks everyone for the help.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fleas suck, when I got Bindi, a kitten from a Stray my dads girlfriend was fostering he got our other senior cart- Tom infested with them, We cleared up the issue and now both cats are flea free.

cha cha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i don't know if you guys have the product there but i swear by frontline. it gets absorbed into the skin and lasts for 3 months. my cats NEVER have fleas.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use Frontline on Bijou and Advantage on Mika (she had some issues with Frontline).

Another good idea (and it won't hurt even if you don't have fleas) is to put some diatomaceous earth in your carpeting/rugs. Sweep it down well into the carpet. I put some in our doorways because we were having a bad ant infestation and I haven't seen any ants since. It is also safe for the kitties provide you get the human grade stuff. You can even mix a bit in with their food to help rid them of any internal parasites which I shall be doing once a week from here on in.