Just got in a wreck

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was on my way to work this morning and got in a wreck. The guy I hit took off and didnt stop. And I really dont know what to do since he didnt stop. I followed him for awhile but lost track of him on the highway. His trucks bumper was dented pretty bad and one of his mufflers was dragging. My car didnt have that much damage but lost the liscence plate. Ive never been in a wreck before so I didnt know what to do. I stopped for a second but when I was he wasnt stopping I took off after him. I forgot to get his liscence plate number.
And I know he didnt get mine because it fell off! So I guess my question is what in the worl am I supposed to do? Do I call the police/go in and make a report? I wish I had stayed put but I wanted to catch him! Oh well.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He probably didn't have insurance or some other reason for him not to stop. You need to make a report. Let the police know what happened. That way the guy can't say you left while he sat there.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you ok?

I would report it just incase you end up with any late appearing injuries. In Ontario, if it is minor then we go to an accident reporting centre. I don't know the procedure for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Are you ok?

I would report it just incase you end up with any late appearing injuries. In Ontario, if it is minor then we go to an accident reporting centre. I don't know the procedure for you.
Thanks. Thats what I figured I cant go until after work. Im fine I hit my chin and its killing me but otherwise Im fine.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be aware that they CAN give you a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident. They probably won't since you tried to follow the guy you hit but it may be a possibility. Perhaps call them and ask about it before you file a report.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Just be aware that they CAN give you a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident. They probably won't since you tried to follow the guy you hit but it may be a possibility. Perhaps call them and ask about it before you file a report.
Yeah I know thats why I wish I had called the police and just waited.But its to late now.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my uncle had that happen. the person he hit had no insurance and left. he filed a police report (later in the day), and his insurance company said they would take care of it if the person tried to make claims later on. the person he hit did pretty much the same thing. he tried to follow them and lost them.

mskitty666

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Boy does my mind go to dark places! My first thought was thank goodness you're ok because only a criminal would get hit then run away. I envisioned someone with an arrest warrant or under the influence. Any way I guess you figured out to never leave the scene and no matter what anyone says, always call the police. Too bad you couldn't get the license, but if their are traffic cams maybe they can still catch them. Since you followed you do know what direction they headed.

Hope you feel better. I think I've been watching too much CSI and NCIS. Even though you think you're ok, it might be best to still see a doctor. Not all injuries are immediately noticeable.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are hurting, then you should go in to be seen.It can appear minor to you, but could be something serious.NOT trying to scare you.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always report an accident, especially a hit and run.

The guy probably didn't have insurance, or it was a stolen car, or the guy was wanted for some crime.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mskitty666

Boy does my mind go to dark places! My first thought was thank goodness you're ok because only a criminal would get hit then run away. I envisioned someone with an arrest warrant or under the influence...
Yes, or maybe a dead body in the trunk...

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just got back from work and the police office. I didnt get a ticket because he took off and never reported it so. I have to wait a week for the report then pay $5 to get it. Also had to file a seperate report because the liscence plate got lost. So that will be another $5 but it will be ready tomorow for pickup. And it will only cost $3.50 to get the plates replaced. So it all worked out pretty well and I have very little damage.