Max's vet update.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I guess I'll update what happened with Max at the vet.

Anyway, for those who did respond to make a suggestion, thank you. We took Max in to see the vet this morning and he says that it appears (based to location and progression) to be skin ulcers related to an autoimmune disorder, such as lupus. We'll have to do a biopsy to be sure, which means saving up $400. Hopefully my income tax refund will come soon so that we'll be able to do that ASAP. Once the particular disease is identified, we can start a treatment to try to heal/prevent lesions, though we won't be able to cure the underlying condition. The medication will likely be some cortisol based oral steriod. If an autoimmune disease is confirmed it will mean some lifelong problems for Max. Today is not a good day.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do remember you posting about Sweet Max in the Cat Lounge(Which I do frequent) when he got in the garbage and ate a chicken bone I think
Many good healing vibes headed his way

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending vibes for a item to be found that can be easily controlled

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the vibes. I wish there was something I could do to heal the sores, but there is no way to do anything. Any cream or topical treatment would be licked or rubbed off right away. We're just having a really bad month for bad news.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure exactly what kind of skin problems he's having, but I did have luck with my cat Morris' scabby skin. I rubbed pure jojoba oil on the affected areas for a few days and they went away. I did research and as far as I know, jojoba oil is not toxic to cats as it is in many shampoos and topical solutions. It probably also continues to do some good even after ingested and it actually sticks in the fur pretty well without making them greasy.
I sell it at my store as a skin treatment for people and after reading about it tried it on Morris but I don't know where you'd find it otherwise.
I hope that you find out what's wrong with Max soon and that it's easily treatable.

Devlyn

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Devlyn

I'm not sure exactly what kind of skin problems he's having, but I did have luck with my cat Morris' scabby skin. I rubbed pure jojoba oil on the affected areas for a few days and they went away. I did research and as far as I know, jojoba oil is not toxic to cats as it is in many shampoos and topical solutions. It probably also continues to do some good even after ingested and it actually sticks in the fur pretty well without making them greasy.
I sell it at my store as a skin treatment for people and after reading about it tried it on Morris but I don't know where you'd find it otherwise.
I hope that you find out what's wrong with Max soon and that it's easily treatable.

Devlyn
I'll look into jojoba oil. Max is a dog, though, so I'll have to check around to make sure it's okay for him. Thanks for the suggestion!

However, I have to leave the sores are they are, because anything that I could do/apply to heal them could affect the biopsy results. I needs to be a clear sample. I can do it if my darn income tax would come in!

His sore spots are on his nose. Here is a link to a thread with pictures: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127923

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Max! As I said in your other thread he is in my prayers. You and your BF are too! I hope things work out for the best in all those situations!

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Oh that looks really painful
Can the vet not do a payment plan until your tax return comes through?.
No, our vet doesn't do that. They use an outside company that will give you a loan, but there is interest attached. But they look more painful than they actually are, I think. He doesn't seem bothered by them. He didn't even flinch when Addie was head butting his nose, so they can't be too bad.