Omg!!!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So last night I went to bed at about 7 with a migraine. Lee came up about an hour later. The girls are downstairs doing whatever they do at night. So I keep waking up hearing this scratching noise. I thought it was Phenom putting her paws under the door cause she has this need to do that all the time. So I roll over and go to sleep. I hear it again. I sit uup un bed ready to fuss at poor Phenom. I see a shadow on the door frame. My first thought is "Holy crap we have a mouse" So I flip on the light. ITS NOT A MOUSE ITS A BAT!! So Lee wakes up and asks whats going on. I scream we have a flippin bat in our room! By this time the poor bat is flying into our ceiling fan (ouch) and freaking out as much as we are. I go to the room across the hall and let Lee handle it. He opened 2 windows without screen and threw a sock at the bat. It eventually went out the window and I finally got back to sleep!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least it managed to find it's way out again . I didn't know this until a few weeks ago, but being out near the countryside we have them. Gil and i were at my friends house up the street for drinks when we saw them flying all over the place outside, and if one settles into your house you can't kill it, (not that i would) you have to get an expert in to get it out.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!! I would have completely freaked out!! I probably won't sleep tonite now, you've got me all creeped out.

I probably would have handled the mouse better than a bat. Bat's fly.....yuck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't kill it cause they eat bugs. But I don't want it in my bedroom! Every little noise made me squirm last night!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I so would've freaked and hid under the covers.

Glad to hear that it went out by itself though.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No way! How did a bat get in there??

I like bats, personally. I think they are deliciously creepy

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

No way! How did a bat get in there??

I like bats, personally. I think they are deliciously creepy
Originally Posted by huggles

OMG thats awesome!!!
Awesome? Umm no! Not in my bedroom at 2:30 AM!!

Bats are okay by me. Most wildlife is. As long as it stays outside!
Lee was such a sissy about it too. He hid under the blankets with my while it was flying around!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love bats, if i could id own one as a pet the fruit bats are very sweet and you can hand feed them in some zoos they feel so soft

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

Bat's fly.....yuck!
Birds fly too and no one thinks they're yucky.

Several years ago I saved a pair of tiny baby brown bats from a cat. My mother had a fit about how gross they were
so I took them over to my grandmother's, she helped me take care of them.
They were so cute.
They'd make tiny little squeaky noises and liked to be petted, they would even close their eyes and lean into the petting. When they were a bit older we let them go.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my that must have freaked you out!

There was a bat in our house once. We were watching TV and it came into the livingroom, which has a huge window. The poor bat probably thought that was its way out
. Anyway, while my mum was freaking out I was calmly watching the bat, with an afgan blanket in my hands. The bat flew low enough for me to throw the blanket ontop of it. Then, VERY carefully I scooped it up in a plastic pen can thingy (with a lid!) and carried the bat outside. It flew away, probably grateful to be out in the night air. It was such an awesome experience!

I love and respect bats, I personally think they are beautiful and just pure wonders of nature.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love bats. I don't know why so many people are afraid of them. They're not going to attack us and there is no way that they would accidentally fly into us. I can only think of good things about them like the fact that they love to eat mosquitoes.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree - they are amazing creatures. I think it's the old vampire stories that prejudice our way of thinking about bats. They are a mammal after all - just lucky to have lovely wings.

The poor little bat was probably much more frightened than either you or Lee.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

I love bats. I don't know why so many people are afraid of them. They're not going to attack us and there is no way that they would accidentally fly into us. I can only think of good things about them like the fact that they love to eat mosquitoes.
I don't think I am necessarily afraid of them I am afraid of them in my bedroom!
We see them outside all the time. I will sit and watch them as long as they are out there in my view. They are pretty interesting. But they do carry rabies. And I know only .5% of them have it there has been a case in my county fairly recently of a man dying of rabies from a bat bite.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a way to wake up - did it get rid of your headache anyway? Is the sock that Lee threw outside with the bat? Luckily the cats didn't try to get the bat!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No the sock is on the floor where it fell. I am pretty sure it wasn't rabid. I mean all the sites that tell how to identify a rabid bat didn't match any of this poor little guy. He didn't have any problems flying even after hitting the fan. And he just looked like he got somewhere he shouldn't have.

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lolol

I like bats too, but that is not to say that in the middle of the night I would not be freaked out by one in my bedroom!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow!!!! What an eventful night
I'm glad nobody got hurt and the bat left safely. Please check your kitties over to make sure there are no bites on them. Bats can carry rabies and other things that can be given to animals/people should you be bit by one which is carrying it.(we've had to take a few calls at the shelter i work at over bats- but not often). they are very beautiful/gentle creatures.