unsure of what to do....

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been looking to adopt a kitten...well I found a lady on craigslist that had 6.5 week old kittens that she took away from her neighbor b/c she planned to take them to a dump site and drop them off...so long story short I seen her pic drove 1 1/2 hours on Sunday and she is now part of my family. I have questions and concerns about her.
She (Bella) has never been to a vet for anykind of check up...dont see any ear mites, fleas or worms...but Ive never had to take care of a kitten this little...she barely eats anything (purina can -chicken&tuna) then when it comes to drinking she wont drink water...so I went out and bought this can of "mothers milk" in the pet isle at kroger-sunday night. She would only drink it out of a syringe. Yesterday she only drank 30cc and maybe a tablespoon of food. She peed 4x yesterday and 3 bm's...but when she does she cries (meows)..Im sure its b/c she doesnt have enough fluid to help her. What should I do? I plan on calling a vet today and seeing what they say. BUT I was hoping to also get some good advise from you...
*the neighbor stated Sunday that she did good with drinking and eating- litter trained (pretty close anyway)....but also said that she was still nursing when she had to take them.* There were 3 of them together...so I dont know if Bella is still upset that she is no longer with her mom, sister, brothers... (the other kitten that Im adopting will be able to come home in 3weeks)
Any thoughts...suggestions....

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She should definitely go to a vet, she needs a checkup and your vet can answer any questions you'll have. Most young kittens have worms, even if you don't see any.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ideal age to adopt is 10-12 weeks old. Any younger and you usually have problems with social behavior and physical problems. Most kittens will be nursing at 8 weeks old, sometimes longer; so yes she was far too young to go to on her own away from mom and siblings.

They also need to stay with litter mates to learn social behavior. At 6 1/2 weeks old, they are NOT weaned at all - they just are starting to eat food. I would take the kitten to the vet and have him evaluate her and help you with eating advice. Get a good quality kitten food and mix it with some KMR (kitten milk). At that age they only can eat about a teaspoon or so (tummys are not that big), but leave food available 24/7 so she can nibble on it.

Her behavior is very typical of a kitten her age - she does miss mom and siblings. It would have been better to adopt two kittens together. Can you go back and get a brother/sister?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no all the other kittens were adopted out as well. I know that she was way to young to leave her mom...but I could not bare the thought that this owner was taking these babies to a dumpsite to get rid of them- her plan was to do it this past weekend.
I have given her a stuffed animal (beanie baby) to play with and sleep with.
I will call a vet and see if I can get her in today.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The beanie baby may help and hopefully you can get another kitten at the proper age soon (10-12 weeks old). Be sure to neuter/spay by 3-4 months old

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've gotten some good advice already.

I would just concentrate on getting her to eat enough. If she's eating strictly "wet" food, she's getting enough moisture that way. When they eat only wet food, you'll rarely see them drink, even under normal/ideal circumstances.

I like GK's idea of mixing some good kitten food with KMR. Make sure there's water available to her, but just mainly concentrate on the food.

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I went to petsmart last night...found the KMR-powder. I mixed up about 30ml of it - she only drank maybe 2ml. She didnt eat at all yesterday...still no water. I called the vet - we have an appt today at 5pm (vet is in surgery all day-same with yesterday).
This morning I mixed up some more of the KMR - she wont even try to eat/drink- Im sure she has to be hungry....I made her drink (I used a syringe- I dab a little on her lips and she would lick it off) 5ml before we left for work (she comes with me- I have a wonderful boss) I dont want to leave her in the house by herself for 9hrs until I know she will be fine and will eat without my assistance. Unsure if Im right or not - but figure I will try to get her to drink at least 5ml every 3-4hrs.
When I spoke with the vet tech yesterday she had me pull up on the extra skin on the back of Bella's neck to see if it "sprong" back or just stayed pulled up (for dehydration)...it sprong back *thank goodness*
I will let you know what happens when we get back. I will have to post some of her pics - I still need to download them off of my camera.

Thank you all for your advise.

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just threw-up all that milk....now what? Should I try her again in a few hrs or feed her again within an hour? Should I just try to feed her the wet food?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the wet food, you may need to mix it with KMR to make it soupy so she can lap it up.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd mix the KMR up with the canned food - use a little warm water when mixing. You might also try some shredded (very small pieces) of chicken. Hopefully the vet can offer some more advice on getting her to eat/drink. Kittens can dehydrate very quickly. She may be fine today, but not tomorrow. Keep offering a little food (even a teaspoon full) every few hrs.

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
should I mix the kmr with the warm water like I would for a bottle or just pour the powder on the wet food then add the water to mix?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try it both ways - see which way works best. I think its mix it up like you would for a bottle and then mix it into the food. Sometimes powder has a hard time mixing so there are no lumps.

kittylovinkrys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I make kitten slush for my kittens by mixing a tablespoon of KMR to two of warm water, I find the lumps of powder "melt" better if you heat it up in the microwave for 5-7 seconds. Then I mix in a 3 oz can of kitten food, which makes it really sloppy. I got my 4 kittens to eat it by taking a bit of it on my finger and smearing it on their lips. Once they licked it they nearly bit off my finger! You may not need to make so much for your kitten. Maybe a teaspoon KMR, 2 teaspoons water, and 1/3-1/2 of a can, just to try it.

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok...it took me over 1 1/2hr to get to the vet last night- over turned truck blocking the only way I knew how to get there. :-(
The vet told me she has: ear mites and an upper resp infection plus signs of dehydration. So...he gave her a shot of penicillin and some fluid for dehydration then a liquid on her neck to get rid of the mites. Then he gave me amoxicillin, drops for her eyes (for resp infection-says that it will go through out her sinus cavity and clear it all up). He was also worried about her throwing-up...if not better today then he wants her back in there to put her on an IV drip for dehydration....
she did get sick last night - not like before - almost like it was flem-no food came up with it or medicine. so far today- all is good.
My fiance is somewhat upset about the whole situation...he is mainly upset about the bills. So, far (remember I just got her Sunday afternoon) I have spent over $150 on her. Plus she hasnt had any shots, she's not spayed yet... If she doesnt get better I dont know what Im going to do. I hope she does get better, she is a very beautiful and loving cat.
Well this morning I gave her both medicines - definity didnt like any of it. Now that we are at my work- I fed her some food that the vet gave me - told me to water it down and give to her in a bowl-if she dont eat it - put in a syringe and "help" her eat it. ....well needless to say, I helped. I hope that she starts eating on her own..unsure how long my boss is going to let me do this.
Oh, Bella was weighed last night...she weighs 12oz - is this normal? good/bad? She is approx 6.5 - 7 weeks.
Here a few pics of her...the better pics are on my cell phone - which I have no clue of how to get them off of there. :-)

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im trying to post pics on here from photobucket...but they are way too big...how do I make them smaller?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there's an 'edit' button in photobucket that will shrink them for you, or you can download photo software such as www.irfanview.com and resize them in there.

12oz seems low to me, she should be approx. 2lbs by 8 weeks. But she may be small because she had a poor start in life.

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
here are some of the pics that I have of her...these were taken Sunday - the day I brought her home.

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mygirl919

here are some of the pics that I have of her...these were taken Sunday - the day I brought her home.
Sorry...I cant figure out how to make these pics smaller...I went to photobucket and resized them--very small on there....

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're small pics for me. If you hit refresh they may get small for you too.

She's very cute, and small! I think once she eats on her own she will catch up quickly.

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, cool...you were right....now they are smaller! :-)
Yeah...I hope that this weekend with me being off for 3days I can focus on her alot and get her going. Im sure if need be I can take her back to work with me next week...but dont want to.