How to feed multiple cats / diet food safe for younger cats?

violet37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello!

I have a 4-year-old grey tabby cat. She is very congenial, friendly, and grew up living around other cats and dogs. She gets used to other animals very quickly.

Because of a cross-country move, my parents are going to be looking after my cat for a couple months this summer. They have a 14-year-old female grey tabby who is gentle and sweet but also quite shy.

I'm not worried about the two cats getting along - I'm sure they will in time and with some patient introductions. However - I am concerned about diet.

The 14-year-old cat has some kidney issues and is on Hill's k/d dry food (free feeding). My cat currently eats California Natural dry adult cat food (free feeding - she hates wet food).

Now I know both cats will chow down on anything put in front of them, and I'd ideally like the two cats to share the same food this summer as keeping them on two separate bowls seems really difficult. Is Hill's k/d safe for a younger cat (4 years) who doesn't have any kidney problems? Is it dangerous? Though she is younger, it's not like she's a kitten.

Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!!

IMO, I wouldn't feed your cat Hills k/d. It's a crappy food & unless necessary....yuck. Is there any way that both cats can learn to eat on a schedule? I also worry, because the move, another cat, the whole works, will be stressful....that a food change would just add to all the other stress.`

I guess what I'm getting at is, IMO, both cats learning to be fed on a schedule might be best. Then again, I can be pushy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

violet37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm with you on the Hills... that's why I feed California Natural to mine.

But my parents are doing me a favor by watching my cat, and unfortunately, their cat eats Hill's and that's what she'll stay eating, because both they and the cat are set in their ways

My cat loooooves the California Natural and I'm sure she'll take it over the Hill's most of the time. But if she sneaks bites of the k/d is it dangerous?

also, any tips for feeding two different cats two foods would be appreciated. i've never had to deal with doing this before

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think the k/d should be dangerous to her.

How agile is the 14 year old cat? What about setting up a "feeding station" like on a counter or someplace higher the older cat cannot get to? Would it work....for the older cat to continue to free feed....while your cat is fed on a schedule? If you think your kitty will prefer the Cal Nat, then feed her that in 2 meals a day.....and she can sneak some k/d if she really wants to. Is it possible that would work?

violet37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the suggestions! anyone else have experience with their cats sneaking another cat's diet/prescription food?

from what i can tell, k/d just has adjusted protein and nutrient levels and no actual 'medicine' in it... seems like if my 4-year-old ate some in addition to her regular food it wouldnt hurt.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by violet37

thanks for the suggestions! anyone else have experience with their cats sneaking another cat's diet/prescription food?

from what i can tell, k/d just has adjusted protein and nutrient levels and no actual 'medicine' in it... seems like if my 4-year-old ate some in addition to her regular food it wouldnt hurt.
RXs SHOULD NOT be consumed by healthy cats, if this is an issue talk with your vet ... the protein leval in k/d is NOT enough for a normal cat .. Many MACRO and MICRO nutrients are different ...

violet37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
right, but what if she is eating her normal food and just sneaks bites of the older cat's food... is that dangerous? as a poster before mentioned, I can put the california natural out of the older cat's reach (she is not that agile).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
just be careful\\\\\\

yeah i just realized it is a bite hear and there ... just ask the vet

Yes do put the yummmy CN up