Well- we spent 2 hours today tring to catch an African Gray!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk about your interesting day at work
This morning things were insane at the shelter. We finally had some open kennels in the dog part.....and i tell you what- as soon as we get some open they seem to fill up!
In a matter of 10 minutes we had 3 dogs come in (two being returned
but that's another story!) Then about an hour later we had another one. Mondays lately have been crazy at the shelter because the guy who's over everything cut one of our staff members (our receptionist) on mondays to save money. So not only do we have to do meds/shots/ clean/etc...we now have to try and get the phones/run the pcs at the same time. This morning- we had a lady bring in 3 little ducklings in a recycling bin container.So after my lunch break today (i go home to feed my foster kittens on my lunches) I went back to the shelter and put them in a carrier to take them to a park and release them. When there are little ducklings like that you can usually sneak up on a momma duck's nest that has young ducklings at a similar age and put them into the nest when she's not paying attention- usually they will take them. Haha that was not my luck today!
So i go over to the park by our city hall- there is a big pond there with and it's in a nice area. I only was able to find two momma ducks with two broods. Both were in the water though so i couldn't sneak the ducks in by the nests. So i held one of the ducklings in my hand down so the momma could see it (didn't know a better way) and she tried to attack it so i snatched it away quickly. The other momma would have nothing to do with them eithor so that didn't work!!!
(there weren't many mommas with ducklings there at that park today). Wouldn't you know it- as soon as i get ready to leave, someone sees my shirt (animal control) and says- "there's an african parrot in a tree" - so um yeah can you imagine my response
A WHAT!!!So that was just amusing - i thought the person was joking but they weren't lol. He pointed me in the direction of the tree -and sure enough- there was an African Gray parrot up there!!!! I called my shelter and talked to my boss to tell her - she said that eariler in the week there was a report of a missing one- someone had broken into a home and stolen some things, including an african gray (they're expensive birds) so we think it's that one. So she sent two more animal control officers out there to help me. They didn't believe me till they saw it in the tree lol.It was too funny!!! We tried to get him to come down from the branches by talking / whistling (hehe well they whistled- i can't!) He hopped down a little bit- so we stuck a dog pole (used to catch strays with) up there to see if he'd hop on it- but no such luck
We tried for a good 1/2 hour to get him to come down. Then one of my coworkers moved his truck under the tree and climbed on top truck with the pole to try and get closer- of course that didn't work -the bird flew up higher
So we called some of our buddies at the fire dpt (city hall, the park, the libary, and the fire dpt are all clusted together so they were really close) they brought a little ladder- haha like that's gonna work! And tried to get him that way- that's when the bird took off and flew to another tree- so we went over there and tried again...apparently he got annoyed with us whistling and calling him because he flew to another tree (uhhh owners really need to clip their birds wings!!!!). At that point one of the firefighters brought some grapes over from the kitchen in the fire house to see if he'd try to get them. He threw them up into the tree trying to get the birds attention. lol the bird thought he was playing and was just chirping up a storm:
(keep in mind there were lots of interested onlookers now at this point wondering what 4 firefighters, 3 AC officers, and an African Gray were doing in the park lol). This went on until 3pm
We had no luck at all catching that bird - so we called it a day and are going to try to get it again tomorrow- we notified the people we suspect to be the owners and they are going to come tomorrow with the other AC officers (i'm off on tues/wed) to try and see if the bird will come to them. Keep your fingers crossed the bird stays in the same area!!!!!! So yeha....lol not every day you see an African Gray in a park!Talk about amusing!!!!!!! After that interesting event- i tried 3 other parks to try and relase my 3 little ducklings in but once again had no luck- so they're at the shelter in a cage with food/nests - my boss said she'd try some other parks tomorrow and see if she has any luck.

Man- it sure was one interesting day today
My coworkers and I all felt like idiots because we couldn't catch that darn parrot- but then again none of us have a lot of experience catching african grays in a park
) Hopefully they can get him tomorrow!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my that is quite an exciting day!!!! You can't say life is dull working at a shelter...

I can't believe the owners are going to wait until tomorrow to see if that's their bird!!! If I was them I'd be right over there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Oh my that is quite an exciting day!!!! You can't say life is dull working at a shelter...

I can't believe the owners are going to wait until tomorrow to see if that's their bird!!! If I was them I'd be right over there!
me too- when my boss called them (while we were trying to catch the bird) she asked them to come out and see if they could lure it down since it might be theirs. but they were at work and couldn't leave supposedly (heck though if one of my animals was lost i wouldnt care about leaving work- it'd be there!) my worry is the bird might fly off into neighboring homes/areas by tomorrow and we might not be able to find it. i hope he stays in the park.

Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Awww...poor thing. I am sure it was so scared!!

Keeping my fingers/toes crossed that you can catch it soon!!!
i think he was hungry too!! he was trying to eat some of the leaves from the trees. i know he's not getting his proper diet from eating tree leaves (aren't they supposed to have fruit too? does anyone know? i've never had a parrot- only parakeets when i was younger). there were grapes left on the ground from the firefighters tossing them at him earlier so i hope he got down and got them tonight.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My MIL has an African Gray. They are so smart! She talks all the time. She feeds her lots of fruit and nuts. I hope they catch that bird. I think they can live to be like 50-60 or something. Crazy.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Samantha1979

My MIL has an African Gray. They are so smart! She talks all the time. She feeds her lots of fruit and nuts. I hope they catch that bird. I think they can live to be like 50-60 or something. Crazy.
I hope they are able to get him tomorrow. We really tried today, but catching a flying bird is just not easy at all. I hope he's ok for tonight though. He seemed like he was in good condition i didn't see any injuries or anything(i climbed on the ladder to try and get a decient look) He also is banded- so whenever we do catch him we can figure out who his owner is 100%. (we have a pretty good idea now but aren't definite. (Do you know where Stage Rd. is at Alturia in Bartlett???) It's that Municipal park there between the libary, firestation,and city hall where the bird was
In that little Japanese Garden area.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope he gets reunited with his owners soon!! I have a special place in my heart for Greys.

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

(uhhh owners really need to clip their birds wings!!!!)
Actually, no. If they had, he would probably be dead, not being rescued from a tree. Something probably would have already got him. Its their only defense, like a declawed cat outdoors only worse.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - what an exciting work day you have, LOL! I was just reading a book where an African Grey was one of the "characters" - what interesting birds! I think he would probably come to his owners. But I can't wait to hear what happens!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

Actually, no. If they had, he would probably be dead, not being rescued from a tree. Something probably would have already got him. Its their only defense, like a declawed cat outdoors only worse.
oh i didn't know! sorry!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

oh i didn't know! sorry!
np
I hope those people are his owners as well, unfortunately you usually can't tell anything from the bands on their feet. (unless the owners had it put there of course) Usually the bands are from the birds breeders and just has a stock number on it for their own records. This is merely for book-keeping purposes. It helps the breeders keep track of how many birds were bred in each clutch etc.

Poor baby must be so scared. I hope you guys can lure him down tomorrow.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a day Nikki!!!

I think it must be something about today....all the kennels at our HS are full, too. That's why I have a temporary foster dog.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Actually that's interesting you say that! I cut the bells off my cats' collars because if they were to get out I feel that it's just ringing the dinner bell for the foxes/coyotes around here. It's not a real popular stance, but I've lost too many cats that way.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Actually that's interesting you say that! I cut the bells off my cats' collars because if they were to get out I feel that it's just ringing the dinner bell for the foxes/coyotes around here. It's not a real popular stance, but I've lost too many cats that way.
I never thought about the bells that way...

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki, if you manage to catch him and don't find the owners let me know. Since Fred passed we've been tossing around the idea of adopting another Grey.

You could try different fruits to try to find a fave, Fred's favorite treat was Peanuts in the shell, that would've been the only thing he would have come down for!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Wow - what an exciting work day you have, LOL! I was just reading a book where an African Grey was one of the "characters" - what interesting birds! I think he would probably come to his owners. But I can't wait to hear what happens!!!
That's what we're hoping- that those people show up and it is indeed their bird. Hopefully he will respond to them and come down for them. He kept acting like he was going to fly down to the lower branches of the tree but then i think he got scared. Poor fella!!!! He has to be scared to death!

np
I hope those people are his owners as well, unfortunately you usually can't tell anything from the bands on their feet. (unless the owners had it put there of course) Usually the bands are from the birds breeders and just has a stock number on it for their own records. This is merely for book-keeping purposes. It helps the breeders keep track of how many birds were bred in each clutch etc.

Poor baby must be so scared. I hope you guys can lure him down tomorrow.
The people we think are the owners have the band number written down from their bird and all med. records - so we're praying it matches!!!!!! I really hope so! If not i wouldn't know where to start looking as there isn't a database for things like that to my knowledge. Can birds be microchipped? Do you know- perhaps we might check him for a chip if it's not the owner and we're able to get him.
I really hope they can get him tomorrow (i'm off tues/wed so i won't be there)

Originally Posted by white cat lover

What a day Nikki!!!

I think it must be something about today....all the kennels at our HS are full, too. That's why I have a temporary foster dog.
You have a new foster doggie???? PICTURES!!!!!
And yeah- it is soo annoying isn't it- once you finally get some kennels cleared out- it never fails- you will get more dogs in
It always seems like it happens back to back too

Nikki, if you manage to catch him and don't find the owners let me know. Since Fred passed we've been tossing around the idea of adopting another Grey.

You could try different fruits to try to find a fave, Fred's favorite treat was Peanuts in the shell, that would've been the only thing he would have come down for!
Peanuts? I'll have to call my coworkers tomorrow (and see if they can get him- i'll suggest that!!!) Thanks!! Also- if it's not the owners and we can't find them- I will definitely let you know. He seems like a really sweet bird from what i can tell and he's absolutely gorgeous!!!! He's got almost crimson red feathers underneath and they're just lovely!! Any other suggestions/ideas for trying to catch him?? My only experience would be with parakeets-i had several growing up. But i do not know much about trying to catch a loose bird like an African Gray or anything. We were trying to catch him without traumatizing him (we didn't try the net- as we were afraid he might get hurt in the process) We tried to lure him down with grapes- but i bet he waited till long after we left to get them- he wouldn't budge when we were tossing them at the branch.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The people we think are the owners have the band number written down from their bird and all med. records - so we're praying it matches!!!!!! I really hope so! If not i wouldn't know where to start looking as there isn't a database for things like that to my knowledge. Can birds be microchipped? Do you know- perhaps we might check him for a chip if it's not the owner and we're able to get him.
I really hope they can get him tomorrow (i'm off tues/wed so i won't be there)

Peanuts? I'll have to call my coworkers tomorrow (and see if they can get him- i'll suggest that!!!) Thanks!! Also- if it's not the owners and we can't find them- I will definitely let you know. He seems like a really sweet bird from what i can tell and he's absolutely gorgeous!!!! He's got almost crimson red feathers underneath and they're just lovely!!
PRAY that the number they have written down matches!!
Thats really good news because normally there is no database for things like that. I tried to track down where Fred came from once with his numbers and its a dead end.

Birds can be micro-chipped, although its not nearly as common as it is with dogs and cats because they get stressed out so easily. Ask the possible owners if he had a favorite treat, if you (or someone) do get peanuts get the raw ones, or just roasted with no salt.

I'll be thinking about the poor guy tonight!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

PRAY that the number they have written down matches!!
Thats really good news because normally there is no database for things like that. I tried to track down where Fred came from once with his numbers and its a dead end.

Birds can be micro-chipped, although its not nearly as common as it is with dogs and cats because they get stressed out so easily. Ask the possible owners if he had a favorite treat, if you (or someone) do get peanuts get the raw ones, or just roasted with no salt.

I'll be thinking about the poor guy tonight!
Thanks hon!!!! I'm really hoping that the numbers match if we're able to catch him. (and i think they're the owners- i mean, how many african grey parrots do you see flying through bartlett, tn on a daily basis
) I'm sure my coworkes will ask if the bird is micorchipped if they're able to get him. Thanks for the tips!!! I hope they can get him!! He's in a pretty quiet/safe area where he was earlier so hopefully he will be ok tonight- theres also lots of insects/ water/ plants if he gets hungry (probably not his ideal diet but better than him going hungry) we left grapes on the ground for him too- i hope he eats! I bet the little fella is hungry!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks hon!!!! I'm really hoping that the numbers match if we're able to catch him. (and i think they're the owners- i mean, how many african grey parrots do you see flying through bartlett, tn on a daily basis
) I'm sure my coworkes will ask if the bird is micorchipped if they're able to get him. Thanks for the tips!!! I hope they can get him!! He's in a pretty quiet/safe area where he was earlier so hopefully he will be ok tonight- theres also lots of insects/ water/ plants if he gets hungry (probably not his ideal diet but better than him going hungry) we left grapes on the ground for him too- i hope he eats! I bet the little fella is hungry!
The thing about Grays, they are VERY stubborn birds!!
They may very well find him in the same spot tomorrow as long as nothing bothers him tonight. Hopefully if nothing else he'll stay in the same spot. It won't hurt him to go a bit without food so long as he's caught soon, they can safely go three days. Its the water I would be concerned about.

Keep us updated when you find out! I hope he gets to go back home soon!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The thing about Grays, they are VERY stubborn birds!!
They may very well find him in the same spot tomorrow as long as nothing bothers him tonight. Hopefully if nothing else he'll stay in the same spot. It won't hurt him to go a bit without food so long as he's caught soon, they can safely go three days. Its the water I would be concerned about.

Keep us updated when you find out! I hope he gets to go back home soon!
That is good to know!!! I hope he stays in the same area so they can find him tomorrow when they go back! He has access to water - two lakes there- so he can get a drink if need be- i just hope the other birds don't bother him (geese,ducks- those ducks were mean today when i tried to release those ducklings!) if i hear anything tomorrow i'll let ya'll know!!! I hope they get him!