Ross has crystals and won't eat his food

brigitte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Ross was diagnosed with crystals and blood in his urine yesterday (no blockages though); he also needs to lose six pounds. We were given Prescription M/D food to feed him to dissolve the crystals. and we were told to only feed our cats once a day now, no free range feeding. Since Ross' diagnoses yesterday afternoon he hasn't eaten at all. He does not seem interested in his new food at all. I put some pieces of his old food in it so he would be familiar with it.

As of now he hasn't eaten since yesterday morning. That on its own doesn't bother me because neither of our cats eat very often, but what concerns me is that these crystals won't dissolve until he eats. Am I overreacting? My husband says once he gets hungry enough he will eat. I know he is right, but it's so upsetting seeing Ross straining to pee in the litter box every 10 minutes. Any ideas? Is there wet Prescription M/D food (Ross is picky but loves wet food).

Thanks.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brigitte

So Ross was diagnosed with crystals and blood in his urine yesterday (no blockages though); he also needs to lose six pounds. We were given Prescription M/D food to feed him to dissolve the crystals. and we were told to only feed our cats once a day now, no free range feeding. Is there wet Prescription M/D food (Ross is picky but loves wet food).
Thanks.
yes. look here. i'm assuming it is Hill's, right?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right to be concerned. Yes, he's hungry but cats can be very stubborn. Is Ross a little overweight? I ask because of the food choice your vet made.

At this point, I would let him eat some OTHER *wet* food. In the interest of his condition, preferably NOT something fishy...but he needs to eat. I wouldn't let a heavy cat go more than 24 hours without food...not safe.

If he's not overweight, my apologies
...I just assumed that because of the m/d.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brigitte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mistake, it's Prescription S/D. But yes, he is overweight and needs to lose six pounds.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brigitte

My mistake, it's Prescription S/D. But yes, he is overweight and needs to lose six pounds.
Ok...well, s/d does also comes in a wet version. It's not particularly tasty, but if Ross loves wet food it's certainly worth a try. I would make sure he eats something soon...something wet will be beneficial.
As important as it is to eat the dissolution food, he just needs to eat.

PS wet food, of course preferably the s/d - would be a much better idea anyway...it's a good thing he likes it. It makes a huge difference for any cat, but especially for urinary issues.

xulili

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
heh reminds me of my baby.. he would not touch any of the hills stuff. Pickey does not even begin to describe him lol. I'm sure yoru vet can help you find something he will eat.