Leave my parents

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm 22 years old and I'm not in so good relationship with my parents, especially my mom, and I'm thinking about leaving the house and go rent one somewhere else, but I don't know, what you think. Is that normal to leave the house? I know people do it a way when they're much more younger but maybe I'm different
I hope you can post me some tips here. Thank you!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a stable job and can afford to move out, then go for it!! I moved out right after college when I started working at age 21. I loved having my own place!!!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved out at 20. I can't imagine living at home now! I love my parents to death but I also love my freedom. I still find myself calling them and telling them if I am going to the next town over or anywhere out of the norm for that matter. Independance is a good thing.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have a stable job and can afford to move out, then go for it. I'd recommend sharing with someone else so you can split the costs.

Also, talk to your friends who live out of home, and see if they can help you to do up a monthly budget to figure out approx. monthly costs and whether you can afford that.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you aren't a student then you should have a job where you are using only about 40% of your income for the rent at first. If you can hold out awhile and get some savings it would be a tremendous help... The average amount I've had to have up-front has been two months' rent (one for the first month, one for the security deposit) although if you're living in a less in-demand area it should be less.

I moved out three weeks after high school graduation and haven't been back since.

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can afford it do it...I hated living with my mom and our relationship sucked. It didnt help that me and my sister didnt get along and my sister is my moms fav..She doesnt hide it either. When I moved out I didnt talk to my mom for a while and then it was maybe once a month. Now I talk to her a couple times a week and without the stress of living together our relationship got better, its not great but its better than it was. I moved out right after I turned 20 when I met Dave. He owns our house so it wasnt a big deal and I dont have a job just being a house"wife" taking care of the kids pets and cleaning..It works out better all around...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found that moving out was the best thing I did for my relationship with my parents
. We get a long better than when I lived at home.

I think its very healthy for anyone between 18-23 to move out. It's a time to establish your individual self, become self-sufficient, and in short grow up even more.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been self supporting since I was 13 years old, and from 13 to 16 I pretty much lived on my own because my Mom was in the hospital most of the time. After my Mom died I lived with my brother and his family, but it was not a good living situation for me. It was basically a Cinderella story where I was the drudge maid and built in babysitter. I moved out when I was 19 years old. Best decision I ever made, even if I did get off to a bad start initially.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think moving out is an individual (and sometime cultural) thing. If you feel ready to leave and your capable of supporting yourself then I say go for it! Living on your own is a very liberating and empowering experience and one that I feel everyone should get to have.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I found that moving out was the best thing I did for my relationship with my parents
. We get a long better than when I lived at home.

I think its very healthy for anyone between 18-23 to move out. It's a time to establish your individual self, become self-sufficient, and in short grow up even more.
My relationship with my family is much better now too!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only will living on your own improve your relationship with your parents, it will also help you develop "life skills" more quickly, and you'll get better at managing all the details of jobs, money, cars, apartments, insurance, etc.

But more than anything else, it's really important to get out and live on your own for at least a couple of years before you get married or move in with someone else. You need some time to figure out who you are when you aren't responsible to anyone else... and also to learn to enjoy your own company.

For that reason, I hope you won't need to have a roommate -- I think you grow a lot more without one.

Whatever you decide to do, though, please try to leave your parents's house on the very best of terms. Don't let it be an angry departure.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a decent place to live, and money to suppot yourself- then I would say go for it!
I was 19 when I moved out of my parents place- right after I graduated from college (2 year degree), and I moved 2.5 hrs away from them- it was hard, but I love being on my own & supporting myself!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really does depend on many factors, your income, your health, your relationship with your parents, etc. etc. etc. Some cultures have large family units that live together, at least within a reasonable driving distance. Americans tend to be more independent and live away from other family members typically.

In today's age it is getting more and more common for adult age children to move back in with their parents after college. Years ago in my experience, it is not healthy with some parents as they still think of the adult as a child and dependent and are way too involved in the adult child's day to day life.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've given your situation a lot of thought. Are you mature enough to move out? or do you just want to get out from under you parents authority?

Sometimes, young adults want their freedom, but can't really afford it, and end up moving back home.

So, I think if you can afford it, and if you won't have to rely on your parents to help you have your "freedom", then you are old enough to try it.

but I also think that you should leave your parents home on good terms. They will always be your parents. And as much as you need your freedom, they need to know you love them.

Don't burn any bridges behind you, you never know when you'll have to cross back over them.

Just my two cents worth, take it or leave it

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by happy cat

I've given your situation a lot of thought. Are you mature enough to move out? or do you just want to get out from under you parents authority?

Sometimes, young adults want their freedom, but can't really afford it, and end up moving back home.

So, I think if you can afford it, and if you won't have to rely on your parents to help you have your "freedom", then you are old enough to try it.

but I also think that you should leave your parents home on good terms. They will always be your parents. And as much as you need your freedom, they need to know you love them.

Don't burn any bridges behind you, you never know when you'll have to cross back over them.

Just my two cents worth, take it or leave it
I agree with what Samantha said on this one.
Make absolute sure you are ready for this and are able to provide for yourself. Also are you able to provide for extras like gas, utilities, medicine, upkeep and necessities for your new place, food, things like that.