Emergency Root Canal - Yay!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the pain that started Saturday, wasn't too bad over the weekend, was a little bit worse this morning, has now progressed into a full-scale throbbing ouchie.

If my bottom teeth touch that front toothe by accident, OMG the pain - I said the heck with my dentist, called the endodontist myself, explained the situation - and the fact that I'll be on a plane on Thursday, and they told me to come in at 3:30 and we'll get the root canal started today.

Now I need to keep my fingers crossed that by drilling a hole into the back of my acrylic temporary crown that it won't cause the crown to split and fall off.

I feel like a snowball rolling down the hill with an avalanche right behind me.

Or like I'm running waist-deep in mud: My teeth are dying faster than I can try to maintain them. When do I stop pouring money into the black hole that is what is left of my natural teeth and get them all pulled out?!?

I don't mind the root canal - but this is starting to get past ridiculous. No matter what I do, I just can't keep up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's done - he was good and did the entire thing in one visit. I'll be a little sore for a couple days, but nothing like the hurting unit I was this morning.

And it's only going to cost me - supposedly - around $200, depending on what insurance covers. The actual bill is $995.
It could have been worse, though, and I'm SO glad I got it taken care of immediately.

Now, no more bad teeth issues, please, for a while, thank you. I'd like to not have to go to the dentist on a weekly basis.
Kids, always brush and floss. You don't want to wind up like me.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have some upcoming wisdom teeth that need to come out and I am trying to put it off.

Hopefully this will be the end of any teeth issues for you

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Oh Geez, I bet your glad it's over, I could cry just thinking of the dentist

That's awesome that have Dental insurance, we do not have it
It isn't much, just $1,500 a year max in coverage, but it's something. It almost doesn't matter thogh, my teeth are getting so bad. I just keep writing checks to my dentist every month, I don't even know what I owe anymore, I just keep sending them, LOL.

I got lucky and found a husband (dentist) and wife (periodontist) team that work in the same office (a coverted house.) He is upstairs, she is downstairs. They have her run upstairs for a consult: no extra appointments or charges, ba-da bing, in and out. Great senses of humor, LOTS of compassion and highly-skilled.

When they met me I needed to be sedated - I was in complete hysterics over having to be there. Now I leave smiling. It's been a long road over the course of a decade or so, and obviously, I've got quite a ways in front of me to go. Scattering twenty-dollar bills as I move forward.

And yes, I did cry - but I got through it and I'm WICKED glad that it's over.
No worries about flying on Thursday now!

Thanks for your empathy.
I appreciate it.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you got that taken care of! Hopefully you won't have any more teeth problems. {{{}}}

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oof! I'm glad they were able to take care of it so fast for you! That sounds just awful! I hope you are feeling better real soon and that this is the last of it!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch! glad you got that taken care of right away! I had that happen to one of my two front top teeth too. It was the worst pain ever! Glad to hear it's better now!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, that's great it's over and done with so fast!! I'm glad the pain is better now!

Now, you just take care of yourself and try to be superwoman and try to fit EVERYTHING in before you go. If you don't get something done because you're recovering from the root canal, then that's fine!!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good that you feel better.....

BUT you definately want to keep putting as much effort as possible to keep your natural teeth. If you lose all your teeth you risk bone loss and you need THAT to help hold dentures in. That's why you see older people with them. AND with dentures you can't eat normal foods like you would be able to with your teeth. Dentures are a lot of work.

Just keep up brushing at least twice a day and flossing once a day and you will be okay. Most people just have bad genes too so it may not be you

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. I had the same pain as you and had to go to the dentist and have a root canal very recently. It took 3 appts. the 2nd one hurt but the 1st one and the last one weren't bad but the last one I was in the dentist office for 2 friggen hours.
I am sending lots of good vibes everything goes well.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. having my wisdom teeth pulled was worse. You'll be fine, trust me.
the novicane made me really hyper though.
I promise you'll feel much better after it's all done!

your mouth will be sore for awhile though and if you are in discomfort they should give you antibiodics so you don't get an infection. thank goodness I didn't have to take antibiodics. You'll be in my thoughts and please take care of yourself.
and you need to get this done soon. I was in pain for 2 weeks before I went to the dentist because I hate going so much!
don't put it off as long as I did.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Or like I'm running waist-deep in mud: My teeth are dying faster than I can try to maintain them. When do I stop pouring money into the black hole that is what is left of my natural teeth and get them all pulled out?!?

I don't mind the root canal - but this is starting to get past ridiculous. No matter what I do, I just can't keep up.
i can understand, i have been fighting some issues on my teeth,
i have to keep going in and having the roots cleaned, out.
it getting to the point that even three different docs, dont know why it keeps returning.

i feel like just giving up and getting some fake ones.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad it went well and you're feeling better now!!!
That is good! I hope you have a safe flight this week!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Wow, that's great it's over and done with so fast!! I'm glad the pain is better now!

Now, you just take care of yourself and try to be superwoman and try to fit EVERYTHING in before you go. If you don't get something done because you're recovering from the root canal, then that's fine!!
LOL...this advice from Ms. Superwoman Mommy-to-be herself.

Can I reverse that advice and throw it right back at you? Only insert the words "dealing with pregnancy" in place of "recovering from the root canal."

I'm glad to hear that you're stepping back from work, but don't overfill your time with volunteer work and housework, woman. You need to take as much good care of YOURSELF as possible!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

That is good that you feel better.....

BUT you definately want to keep putting as much effort as possible to keep your natural teeth. If you lose all your teeth you risk bone loss and you need THAT to help hold dentures in. That's why you see older people with them. AND with dentures you can't eat normal foods like you would be able to with your teeth. Dentures are a lot of work.

Just keep up brushing at least twice a day and flossing once a day and you will be okay. Most people just have bad genes too so it may not be you
Actually, it is a very long, long traumatic story. Bottom line is I already have so much bone loss in my upper jaw that implants are no longer possible. Dentures ARE my future, and that isn't as far away as I might like it to be, no matter what I do at this point.

They say that it looks like I'll be able to keep the lowers, but the uppers will definitely last me only so much longer. I pretty much am out of options already. And trust me, I know all about what I'm facing, much more than I want to.
This is a 30 year battle that is headed to a close. In the meantime, I just continue to literally dump money into maintenance, just trying desperately to keep what I have now for as long as is possible.

BTW - yesterday's root canal was root canal NUMBER FIVE for me. At this point I could teach a course on how to GIVE them.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gary's got the same problems.
And to top it all off, he brushes so hard he's wearing away his gums, exposing his roots.
The dentist and I have been working so hard to get him to understand that brushing harder doesn't mean cleaner! You'd figure the pain would get that message through at some point....

Laurie

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy you are sure lucky to get it done that quickly. I have an appointment this afternoon to finish one of mine and this is like the third visit on this one tooth. I had a bit of a miserable weekend with mine as well in that it is very sensitive to everything., but hopefully it will be all over and done with today. I still have another crown for them to do as well so it is not the dentist that has me in tears it's the bills

I am lucky because I do have particle insurance, and a well-paying job, but seriously I don't know how they expect people who aren't as lucky to pay for these things.