Just to add to my work frustration...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're all moving to a new area soon where we'll have heaps more room and room to grow which will be nice.

We got an email today saying the blue prints are up, so we could go and have a look at where we want to sit and give our top 3 choices for where we want to be.

I'm a contractor, and my bosses plan was so have me converted to permanent by the time this contract runs out (next month). But they didn't get organised, and there was an organisational reshuffle, and we're under a different VP now, so it all got delayed a bit. Now my current contract will end when I'm on maternity leave.

They keep saying how they love what I'm doing, and how I've achieved a lot blah blah blah.

So anyway, I look at the seating plan and I've been dumped in a section reserved for "Visitors/Interns", which is away from everyone else
So not only do I not get a seat with the rest of the team, but I get labelled a "visitor". Ok, granted, I'll be taking 3 months leave, but the plan was for me to come back after that... And we've got heaps of spare seats at the moment, so fitting me in somewhere with the team shouldn't be that hard!

It certainly makes me feel very temporary, and like they may not want me back after my leave! I'm certainly wondering if I want to come back. I've been getting very frustrated with the big boss in the area, and this is just the icing on the cake!

I thought about complaining about it, but it kind of makes it obvious how they see my status in the team, so maybe I'll just work until I go on maternity leave, then wave good-bye to the team.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that stinks. That's the thing with being contract, half the time they act like you're an actual employee, then the other times they don't.

Have you inquired why you're not with the rest of the group? I take it that you're not the only temp in with the rest of the group.

Perhaps they're waiting until you get back from maternity leave to hire you. It could be some tricky thing to get the company out of paying for your maternity leave on top of hiring you vs. you go on maternity leave with the contracting company and then come back to a full time, perminant job.

Good luck though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Oh that stinks. That's the thing with being contract, half the time they act like you're an actual employee, then the other times they don't.

Have you inquired why you're not with the rest of the group? I take it that you're not the only temp in with the rest of the group.

Perhaps they're waiting until you get back from maternity leave to hire you. It could be some tricky thing to get the company out of paying for your maternity leave on top of hiring you vs. you go on maternity leave with the contracting company and then come back to a full time, perminant job.

Good luck though.
I'm the only temp in the area, and currently sit with the rest of the guys who I get on really well with. They got me in as a temp because they couldn't hire me straight into a permanent role because I don't have a degree (stupid company rules).

And I honestly think they're delaying making me permanent because they just don't want to pay my maternity leave (even though the state pays half of it). They know I can't work from home if I'm on contract still, but I can if I'm permanent, and I said I was happy to keep doing this one particular thing I do that nobody else has time for while I'm on leave, which they were really pleased about.

So for them to just start treating me this way is REALLY REALLY sucky. I work for a large company which is supposed to be the best company to work for, but I'm beginning to wonder!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry!!! That sucks, big time.
Sure makes you feel wanted & is a real incentive to work hard, right?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah exactly... and when I've got pregnancy related moodiness and am feeling really emotional, it just makes me want to throw it all in right now.

I could quite happily just walk out the door right now and not come back.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give yourself a day or two to calm down some so you can think about this rationally, then I think you should go to your boss to discuss this. Honestly, if I was feeling the way you are right now, my work would be done very shoddily.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I work for a large company which is supposed to be the best company to work for, but I'm beginning to wonder!
Errr...I think when you see those types of reports that its only in the eye of the beholder
Plus the change in vice presidency that you mentioned probably changed that status too.

That really stinks about the degree policy. I bet that that VP reinforced that rule. Perhaps you're being "put" in the Visitor area either by accident or just on paper -but you really won't sit there.

Like WCL said, take a day or two to calm down and then go and discuss it with your boss.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nup, I just spoke to DH and I think I'm going to quit today. This isn't a one off frustration, this has been going on a while now, and I don't particularly like the actual work I'm doing. As well as that I don't NEED to work - DH can support both of us, my pay was just going straight into savings.

I'm too hormonal to have a conversation with the big boss about this without bawling, but have spoken to the girl I report to, and she was absolutely no help.

I'm working full time, studying part time, am 5 months pregnant, and have a heart condition that is getting monitored closely while I'm pregnant because the same thing killed my dad at 28 and my aunt at 24 (just after she had a baby). I've been getting chest pains all day due to stress I think. I have way too many stresses right now, and at 5 months pregnant, I'm still 6 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight, despite needing maternity clothes, so I think I'm just losing weight because of the stress.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, then more power to ya! Sounds like quitting might be the right thing for you to do! Let us know how it goes.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Since DH can do support you, I think it might be good to quit and take care of yourself. You and your baby are more important than any job. It sounds like corporate is the same no matter where you are.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yee-owzers!!!

Yea, you don't need work stress on top of everything health wise right now! Good luck!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The person I need to talk to is in meetings.... As soon as she gets back I'll hand in my notice and they can figure out what they want to do.

I'm already mostly packed up, and am documenting everything I need to, so I'm ready to go.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

The person I need to talk to is in meetings.... As soon as she gets back I'll hand in my notice and they can figure out what they want to do.

I'm already mostly packed up, and am documenting everything I need to, so I'm ready to go.
So how did it go?

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so that things have been so frustrating. You are right to think of your health and your baby's health 1st and foremost (especially that you can afford not to work). Good luck and take big deep calming breaths!