Pointless talents

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so who has the odd pointless talent that they can pull out as a good party trick?? You know, things like being able to touch your nose with your tongue or other stuff like that??

I don't have any weird physical ones, but my claim to fame is that I can count to ten in 11 different languages. Because, uh, that's going to stand me in good stead one day!

My eldest brother can say the alphabet backwards, and my best friend can turn her tongue upside-down!

What is your pointless talent??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh now that is just GROSS!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

What is your pointless talent??
did you not say once you where double jointed also?

i can do lots of tricks with my tongue, snort jello up my nose.
ehhe and few other things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

did you not say once you where double jointed also?

i can do lots of tricks with my tongue, snort jello up my nose.
ehhe and few other things.
Snort jello up your nose??
Oh I don't actually know if I'd like to see that!

Oh yeah - the double joint thing. I have this `pointless' disorder called Benign Hypermobility Joint Syndrome. It means that I can bend my joints in directions they're not supposed to go! I forgot about that...lol....it totally freaks Max out!

Unfortunately, it also means I am prone to musculo-skeletal problems, because I can't help the way things bend sometimes and then I hurt myself. Most of my back problems stem from it.

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can curl my tongue and spread my toes, that's about it.

My son can do the clam (shamrock) tongue though, and it freaks me out every time!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alice_curiouser

I can pick things up with my toes! Actually in HS I pulled someones water bottle out of a hole in theatre class when they dropped in in the. Stuck my whole leg down the gripped and stood up!

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Umm lets see..Im really really good at drinking games..especially @$$hole.. I can open most of the doors in my house with my feet...I lost mobility in both my arms last year and had to learn...LOL..That will teach me to punch my car...twice in a row...And I can read Gone With the Wind and any book with up to 1500 pages in under an hour and a half. And it only took me 3 hrs to read the Bible from front to back.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

The only thing that I can do is tie a cherry stem in a knot with my tongue!
Ha! I think we all tried that back when "Twin Peaks" was on! I managed it once, and I was just silly pleased about it.

Okay, I can perform a really cool jump-turn I've seen Springsteen do a couple times -- though I'm afraid he looks a little better doing it.

I can do a nifty little softshoe bit to "Shave-and-a-Haircut!"

And I often use curbs as balance beams, to relive my old seventh-grade gymnastics routine.

I also do origami and fancy napkin-folding -- it's nice for entertaining small fussy children at nearby tables in restaurants.

Oh, and when my brother was little, I used to freak him out by sewing my fingertips together! I play guitar, see, so the tips on my left hand are very calloused and I don't feel the needle...

But I suppose that's no excuse.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha! I think we all tried that back when "Twin Peaks" was on! I managed it once, and I was just silly pleased about it.

I never watched Twin Peaks, but did someone tie cherry stems with their tongue? I will say that I surely have them beat! I learned how to do that in a bar in Washington, DC when I was in college (uhhhh, back in the 60's before most of TCS members were even born!)

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Oh yeah - the double joint thing. I have this `pointless' disorder called Benign Hypermobility Joint Syndrome. It means that I can bend my joints in directions they're not supposed to go! I forgot about that...lol....it totally freaks Max out!

Unfortunately, it also means I am prone to musculo-skeletal problems, because I can't help the way things bend sometimes and then I hurt myself. Most of my back problems stem from it.
I have a similar problem. I've never been diganosed but essentially I have very loose joints which means I can do some fun things and good luck keeping me in a straight jacket cuz I can dislocate my shoulder at will and it doesn't hurt... much. But, it also means I'm prove to twisted ankles and such.
Originally Posted by alice_curiouser

My son can do the clam (shamrock) tongue though, and it freaks me out every time!
You know it takes a certain gene to roll/curl your tongue and another one to cross your eyes... both of which I can to. I can wiggle my ears too!
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

The only thing that I can do is tie a cherry stem in a knot with my tongue!
Hmmmm, what's up with everyone and their tongues?
I used to be able to tie a stem in a know but I haven't tried in awhile.
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I can pick things up with my toes! Actually in HS I pulled someones water bottle out of a hole in theatre class when they dropped in in the. Stuck my whole leg down the gripped and stood up!
Do you have really long toes? I think thats the only reason I can pick stuff up w/ my toes.
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh, and when my brother was little, I used to freak him out by sewing my fingertips together!
My brother taught me that one! If you put the needle through just the top layer of skin you won't feel it.

I can also flip my eye lids inside out... I also used to be very flexible and with a little warm up and could probably still do this. I'd get into a yoga pose called cobra where you lie on your stomach then push yourself up. From there I can drop my head back and bend my knees and get my toes to touch my nose!
Originally Posted by WhosaMyHercules

I can read Gone With the Wind and any book with up to 1500 pages in under an hour and a half. And it only took me 3 hrs to read the Bible from front to back.
Now thats impressive!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go you! LOL Well, my second toe is longer than my big toe and just for somparison that same second toe is a whole 2 inches long.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Go you! LOL Well, my second toe is longer than my big toe and just for somparison that same second toe is a whole 2 inches long.
Same here!

Other than picking things up with my toes, I can curl my tongue.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can wiggle my ears, cross my eyes and curl my tongue.

I've also always sat Yoga style instead of indian-style (or whatever the correct term is). Basically I just fold my legs while sitting with the right knee on top of the left knee.

Oh and I guess I have some eyebrow thing. People usually comment when I do it. I can raise my right brow while scrunching the left one. I can't do the other way though.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid I could sit on the floor with both legs turned outward, but I gained some weight and got old now I can't do it

I am a good singer and won several awards in school for various choir competitions, but I don't sing anymore.. only to the radio.

My right thumb is double jointed.

I am very clumsy and can trip going UP stairs.. but I don't think that's a skill

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see...

I can fit my entire fist inside my mouth (only time it hurt was when I had braces, lol).

The fingers on my left hand can bend backwards much farther than my right (I'm right-handed), even without help. I can't quite make a 90 degree angle without assitance, but it still freaks people out.

I can make the same sound as the creepy thing in The Grudge, and I do it to freak out friends when they are in a scary movie mode.

I can do the voice of Cartman's mom. lol

When I'm sick, I can do the voice of Marge Simpson. Any other time and it tickles my throat too much.

I can also do the voice of Ralph from the Simpsons.

I can immitate many accents, especially when I'm talking to someone who has an accent. I had a roommate from India, and when she and I would get into conversation, I would sometimes slip into an Indian accent. She got a kick out of it, lol. In a school play, I had four different parts: a british girl stuck in the 80s, a "hillbilly", a "valley girl", and just my normal Midwest accent. I was the only one that could do ALL of those accents without mixing them up.

I can read, with about 80% comprehension, over 350 words a minute. All this allows me to do is finish a Harry Potter novel in one afternoon, lol.

I think that's it.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

I can make the same sound as the creepy thing in The Grudge, and I do it to freak out friends when they are in a scary movie mode.
Do you mean that weird popping/clicking kind of noise? I don't know how to describe it but it's kind of like a very deep burp. My brother and I used to do that all the time... we'd try and see who could do it the longest.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Do you mean that weird popping/clicking kind of noise? I don't know how to describe it but it's kind of like a very deep burp. My brother and I used to do that all the time... we'd try and see who could do it the longest.
Yep! My best friend can't do it and hates it when I do, lol.