What hair styling products do you like best and why?

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was inspired by the recent thread on body soap, etc. in the shower. I'm curious what you guys like for styling products after your shower. Also mention in your reply what hair type you have.

Over the years, I've wasted a lot of money on products that promise to make my hair full, frizzless and smooth while responding well to a blow dryer. I've never been 100% happy.

Right now I've had the best luck with Aveda Confixor on my wet hair before drying it. My hair is lightly wavy, medium fullness and tending toward dry and frizzy on the outer layers.

But, I'm always looking for new ideas!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Citre shine, it works great for straightening/curling ur hair with an iron ( i often straighten my hair) Every time I get a shower though I put it in my hair it smoothes and shines your hair

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im an Aussie fan..I love it cuz when I wanna scrunch my hair it doesnt make it all frizzy but I dont use those products to straighten my hair. I have a John Frieda straightening spray that costs an arm and a leg. But my fav stuff is Bed Head products...I stock up after I get my income tax check back..I only use it for special occasions so that way it last all yr long...

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You read my mind about this thread! LoL

First I have to start with Tresemme Moisture Rich conditioner as a leave-in.
Then I apply Tresemme extra hold mousse (not the kind for curly hair).
Then comes the Pantene extra hold gel. I wrap my hair up for 15 minutes and then spray with Sauve extra hold pump hairspray.

I have thick curly hair (just passed the shoulder blades).

ETA: I don't straighten my hair. I am so used to the body that straight hair looks blah. When I did try it out it took 3 hours to complete the look and any styling product would curl my hair.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Chi Iron really does wonders. I love it. It is the best straightner, it works quick and does a good job.

mskitty666

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have thick, coarse extremely wavy hair. I love my Sedu flat iron for straitening. Haven't found the perfect products to use with it yet. Usually I wear my hair natural. I love the Loreal Unfrizz and Perfect Curls. Just started trying the Noodle Head this week. The shampoo and conditioner are very light, but detangle well. Thestyling creme is great but very heavy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

I use Citre shine, it works great for straightening/curling ur hair with an iron ( i often straighten my hair) Every time I get a shower though I put it in my hair it smoothes and shines your hair
Who make Citre Shine?

I occasionally use a straigthning iron, but more often a curling brush (curling iron with hard round brush attachment) to smooth out frizzys and add a little manageable curl in the right direction.

My hairdresser loves Bumble products and Bed Head, but I haven't had tons of luck.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now, I have my hair dyed red so I'm using this: http://www.aveda.com/templates/produ...CT_ID=PROD5798

I use three different types of conditioners: 1. Is a personal blend from my salon that has my hair dye in it so that it keeps my color bright.
2. Is a slightly purple shade of red that I can use to undertone my hair. This is also a blend from the salon.
3 Is this: http://www.aveda.com/templates/produ...CT_ID=PROD5803
to keep the color in my hair.

I use this to style my hair: http://www.aveda.com/templates/produ...CT_ID=PROD5932

I go a little over board with my products. What can I say? I'm a brat when it comes to hair care.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont use any of the hairspray/wax/mousse etc styling stuff because i have thick curly hair which is a combo, i dont like buildup. What i do use after i towel dry my hair is a schwarzkopf leave in conditioner, which is pretty much the consistancy of water and keeps my hair detangled and soft. I also HATE hairdryers because my hair dries out and gets frizzy

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Catwalk Fashionista, and Sebastian Laminates. My boss gave me the Sebastian stuff with a flat iron for Christmas last year. It is much too expensive for my budget. Redken for colored hair is good, too, but waaay to expensive.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hair is naturally straight and limp, so of course I was given a face that demands a lot of fluff. I perm as often as I can afford to, and I keep it just at shoulder length. Most days, I just scrunch the ringlets up as they dry and put combs on each side to hold it back from my face... but two or three times a week, I hot-roll it into nice big waves and spray it, and I must admit, that looks kinda nice.

But I'm finding as I get older that hairspray is more and more irritating to my scalp... and I also need some kind of leave-in for when I don't roll it, something that will keep my ringlets from becoming frizz. But I hate having STUFF on my hair. Any suggestions for something light and inexpensive I could try?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

The Chi Iron really does wonders. I love it. It is the best straightner, it works quick and does a good job.
It is really the best!!!!!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I could afford it I would use my Sap Moss conditioner by Aveda every single time. As it stands I'm using Pantene mostly.

I also have Sunsilk anti-poof and I love that too, especially on the bangs.

And a straightening iron.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Pureology Hydrate shampoo, conditioner, and shinemax. It works well with my fine, thin, highlighted and slightly wavy hair. My sister got me started on it a few years ago, and I like it a lot. They have a new product called nanoworks, which I have tried, but I think I like the Hydrate best. The products aren't tested on animals, are made specifically for color treated hair, keep away the frizzies, and smell good.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have straight thin hair..with a retard wave in it. Its not pin straight so it looks bad if I don't straighten it after blowdrying.

Before blowdrying - Sunsilk straighten up hair creme
After blowdrying to lessen frizz and protection from flat iron - Sheer Blonde Smoothing creme
After straightening - Eufora fixation styling wax to combat flyaways (that stuff cost an arm)

All in all, I don't notice any difference no matter what hair products I use.
I think they are all a scam

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

I was inspired by the recent thread on body soap, etc. in the shower. I'm curious what you guys like for styling products after your shower. Also mention in your reply what hair type you have.
i have very short [about 2.5"] very fine, very straight hair. i use Suave's root lifter mousse, then blow dry, for lift. then i use L'Oreal's hair wax for control.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

My hair is naturally straight and limp, so of course I was given a face that demands a lot of fluff. I perm as often as I can afford to, and I keep it just at shoulder length. Most days, I just scrunch the ringlets up as they dry and put combs on each side to hold it back from my face... but two or three times a week, I hot-roll it into nice big waves and spray it, and I must admit, that looks kinda nice.

But I'm finding as I get older that hairspray is more and more irritating to my scalp... and I also need some kind of leave-in for when I don't roll it, something that will keep my ringlets from becoming frizz. But I hate having STUFF on my hair. Any suggestions for something light and inexpensive I could try?
My hair is naturally fine, but thick, with some wave to it... if I put heavy conditioners in it, it will be limp, but if I put not enough conditioner in it, it's flyaway, static charged, and horrible to comb/brush... I like these products for when I have it straight, when I scrunch (which my hair will do in it's natural state if I just sit and scrunch and blow dry) and for my current state of I'm lazy and don't want to have to mess with it so I got a loose spiral perm...

There used to be a product called Marine Color Sealant (it was wonderful for permed hair). Back to Basics made it.
Sadly, they discontinued it. I did call them, and they are now suggesting Halo's Leave-in Color Sealant. Halo is a Graham Webb product. I do use their shampoo and conditioner, and I like them a lot but they are pricey. You're looking at over $20 a bottle... no idea about the sealant. Anyway, I will probably try that leave-in... but..

Rusk makes a hairspray that is called W8less. It's awesome... it "disappears" after a few minutes, but still holds. It's my very favoritist hairspray out there (and I have tons of different bottles at my house).

Iso makes a product called "bouncy creme" It's the best product I've found for "scrunching" or permed hair. It doesn't feel like you've got product on your hair, you only need the smallest amount, and it drops your hair into curly strands that are soft, pliable and silky. It's not terribly expensive but is by far the best "styling" product I've found for bouncy curls. Don't use this one for "setting" your hair though.. it doesn't work well as close as I can tell. I can even blow dry with this one and I don't get frizzies or flyaways.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have thick, coarse, dry hair, with lots of body and a small amount of curl. The products I'm using are from Down Under Natural's, specifically the Papaya Shampoo (Moisture Care) and the Curl Defining Gel. I couldn't be happier with their performance, and -- big bonus -- they're not expensive at all.