cat started smelling bad, this is new...

fly o.t. mcwall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i took one my cats to the vet on tuesday for a checkup and updates on shots. she's acting completely normal, eating good, all that.

but since thursday, she's started stinking, kinda like diarrhea (worse than just poo). we gave her a good bath this morning, and she still stinks. she's never stunk before now (she's 8, i've had her since she was 6 weeks).

i brushed her after she was dry and can't see anything or any reason she'd stink. everything appears clean back there (although, i don't know how it looks normally, so i've really got no frame of reference).

she's eating, drinking, social...

i don't know if the vet trip had anything to do with it, but it was the only thing that's been out of her normal routine -- same food, same everything except for the vet visit.

i was just wondering if this could be a short term side effect of the shots, something more serious, or if we need to get her groomed or something. this is very weird for her -- she's just never stunk before.

and this wasn't a gradual thing, where she just started smelling funky and it got worse and worse. it was like on wednesday she smelled fine, on thursday she reeked.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd call the vet--you may need to bring her back, and they will likely charge you a recheck fee instead of the full exam fee since you were just there. It's possible that she could have an anal gland issue, but those can cause problems if untreated. I would definitely see what the vet says.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fly o.t. mcwall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

I'd call the vet--you may need to bring her back, and they will likely charge you a recheck fee instead of the full exam fee since you were just there. It's possible that she could have an anal gland issue, but those can cause problems if untreated. I would definitely see what the vet says.
i was wondering that myself. thanks.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who found a kitten that smelled real bad, turned out it had "warbles" I think that's the right word. They are kinda like a maggot only bigger, and get under the skin and eat flesh, that's what causes the smell. They are really hard to see until they get big and make a "hump" in the kitties skin. If you see the hump and look at it real close, you can see the hole where the larva got in.

they're gross but have to come out and antibiotics given.