Knot in fur...

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I comb Misty almost every day but still she sometimes gets bad knots in her fur. She is a domestic shorthair but really she has medium thick hair. Don't know how she got this terrible knot on her back, I just cannot get it out. I am thinking of just cutting it out, what suggestions do you have. I'm at my wits end

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if coconut oil would hurt a cat or not. I know it gets knots out of human hair pretty quickly and painlessly. Normally my cats will work knots out themselves, but I do have one that is prone to hairballs so I try to cut them out when she lets me.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can sympathise - I had a bad problem with Kahu getting lots of knots, so I took him to a cat groomer.

She did a beautiful job and now Kahu looks like he should be in a show - his fur is so much softer, and he looks really beautiful, and I think he knows it too!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put a little bit of conditioner on it and then wrap her up in a towel for a few minutes and hold her (so the conditioner has time to absorb) then rinse it off. The tangle shoud come right out
Also- in the future, it is ok to apply a small amount of leave in conditioner (make sure it's safe first and non-toxic) and brush it though her fur when you brush her so she doesn't tangle as easily. Also- you might want to post your question again in the breeders forum- many of the breeders, especially those who deal with long hairs- have a lot of experience grooming/preping for shows
I'm sure they can help you!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there are conditioners made just for cats that would be perfectly safe. And although I've never tried it, I hear olive oil is fine, too.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice here. Please, please if you decide to try cutting it out, be extremely careful. Kitty's skin is very delicate/thin. If you're unsure of your abilities, please take her to a vet/groomer so they can take it out safely.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

She did a beautiful job and now Kahu looks like he should be in a show - his fur is so much softer, and he looks really beautiful, and I think he knows it too!
He is beautiful! I just LOVE him!

KNOT sure how Misty would have gotten that big ole mass on her back with you combing her regularly!
Ok, Ok... so that was a bad pun. But I bet it brought a smile to a couple peoples faces!

I don't recommend anyone who's not a professional, try to clip out matts. Doesn't mean I wouldn't try it myself. I just don't recommend it because of liablility. If you can't pick it out with your fingers (prying apart little bits at a time), then I would consider taking her to a groomer this once, and get it shaved. You can always try the olive oil and maybe some kitty conditioners. I'm not sure about coconut oil. I imagine it's safe, but ask a vet first.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

He is beautiful! I just LOVE him!

KNOT sure how Misty would have gotten that big ole mass on her back with you combing her regularly!
Ok, Ok... so that was a bad pun. But I bet it brought a smile to a couple peoples faces!

I don't recommend anyone who's not a professional, try to clip out matts. Doesn't mean I wouldn't try it myself. I just don't recommend it because of liablility. If you can't pick it out with your fingers (prying apart little bits at a time), then I would consider taking her to a groomer this once, and get it shaved. You can always try the olive oil and maybe some kitty conditioners. I'm not sure about coconut oil. I imagine it's safe, but ask a vet first.
I agree - Kahu was starting to run away from me whenever he saw I had the brush. I knew it had to be hurting him, and I hated doing that to him. Thankfully, the groomer was only a few streets away and had 28 years of experience. I was expecting Kahu to act traumatised after the "ordeal" but I think he loved it, it was like a kitty spa!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I agree - Kahu was starting to run away from me whenever he saw I had the brush. I knew it had to be hurting him, and I hated doing that to him. Thankfully, the groomer was only a few streets away and had 28 years of experience. I was expecting Kahu to act traumatised after the "ordeal" but I think he loved it, it was like a kitty spa!
Glad Kahu knot only survived... but loved it! They usually feel so much better after all the mats and tangles are gone. They can be painfully tight and tug at the skin.