Jasmine! Bad Kitty!!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhhhh i'm about to ring her little neck!!!! In the past week, she has taken off her latest collar several times each day!
This doesn't even account for the last collar she got off and completly lost (never to be seen again!) I have had it with this new collar though! It's just aweful! (it's a safety collar- but it comes undone sooooooo easily it just falls off when she picks at it or moves around a lot.) It fit properly too, so i know it's not that. I am going to get her a safe new one that she won't be able to take off every 5 seconds!
) What is it with that cat and her collar????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I don't know but my cats would never wear a collar
Mine have always worn them- but until recently- i have never had this problem.
Their older ones i used to get from another pet store- i think i will go back there and stock up now!!! After they wore out- i replaced them with these new ones and frankly, they're no good and way too easy for them to get off even for a safety collar. Working at a shelter- i see way too many animals come in with collars that have no id or nothing on at all- if one of my babies were to get out and get loose- i want to know that i've done everything in my power to try and make sure i'm able to safely find them. So all of mine wear collars with proper id tags, all are indoors only, and kojak is microchipped (i'm about to get everyone done though when i get some time to bring them to the shelter so i can chip them).

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Teddy the cat that lives at DH's office wears a collar...and he's fine with it.
Mine are all microchipped too
Jasmine is giving you a hard time
yeah she is- she's my little stinker, but i love her to pieces
last time i found the collar in the floor (when i got home from work this afternoon) she was sitting there swatting at it and meowing in her huge siamese meow

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O Jasmine
U are getting in trouble

Willie and Midnight wear their collars they have to (indoor/outdoor unfortunately tried to make willie indoor but it didnt work
)But the other ones took theirs off too soon, Bella didnt mind too much! Stormie I couldnt keep it on her she kept managing to untighten it and then get it caught on her some how, Blues got off and I still havent found it, and Tessas come off but my mom hasnt put it back on her yet!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

O Jasmine
U are getting in trouble

Willie and Midnight wear their collars they have to (indoor/outdoor unfortunately tried to make willie indoor but it didnt work
)But the other ones took theirs off too soon, Bella didnt mind too much! Stormie I couldnt keep it on her she kept managing to untighten it and then get it caught on her some how, Blues got off and I still havent found it, and Tessas come off but my mom hasnt put it back on her yet!
your kitties sound like my kitties

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

If she doesn't want to wear a collar, why force it on her? She's an indoor only kitty, let her live there without a collar.
Some people want their cats to wear collars. If any of mine ever got out, nobody would look at them twice. But, with collars, they stand a 1% chance of being returned, rather than a 0% chance.

Like Nikki said, I work in a shelter & see waaayyy too many well cared for cats who have no collar on & are never reunited with their owners. I've known of one kitty who was placed & months later the owner came looking for the kitty(had been in the hospital). Unfortunately, we couldn't reunite the owner with the cat as the cat already had a new home. His new kitty is now chipped & wears a collar w/ ID.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Loki doesn't like wearing his collar, but Possum absolutely hates it! But it's a rule in my household that if they are going to live with me then they must wear collars with IDs and bells (so I can hear them coming!). I think it has to do with feel vunerable with something around their neck (the collars aren't too tight), and then when I sort have to encircle their necks to put the collars on. I certainly wouldn't want someone putting a collar on me, so I can understand that!

If Possum gets his collar off, sometimes it's days before I can get him to not freak out when I try to put it back on. I'd try a different collar, because they ones I have I just bought in January and March. They are safety collars, but they stay together pretty well (actually Possum's is harder to get off, too).

Tricia

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine don't wear collars, but I am really thinking about getting them collars.

I volunteer at a shelter and we see so many well cared for cats too without collars.
they were probably indoor only cats and must have slipped their collars. that's why it's important they wear collars, same for dogs.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Some people want their cats to wear collars. If any of mine ever got out, nobody would look at them twice. But, with collars, they stand a 1% chance of being returned, rather than a 0% chance.
I thought that was the purpose of tattoos and/or micro chipping?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

yeah but collars help, too and not everyone knows about microchipping.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It wouldn't do any good for me to chip my kitties cuz I know chances are pretty good no one will find it. If they get out, they'll wander to someone else's farm where they'll be fed like another barn cat. If they have collars on, then the people will realize they are someone's pet!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If someone finds a cat with no collar, and no collar mark around their neck, they're likely to think it's unowned and just take it in. If they have it for a while and take it to the vet and just say it's theirs, the vet is unlikely to check for a microchip.

If someone finds a kitty with a collar (or at least a collar mark), they're more likely to assume they're owned, and try to find the owner.

Nikki - I'm guessing your mum didn't make Jasmine wear a collar? I guess you just have to be more persistent than Jasmine

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Jasmine's just showing you how clever she is
Uhh well she really thinks she's got some extravagant point to prove then cuz i can't seem to keep it on her

Originally Posted by theimp98

so what the score now,
kitty 8
mom 0 ?
make that kitty 9 mommy 0 - kojak destroyed his collar tonight
the REALLY nice rogz one- i actually think Fosters helped

If she doesn't want to wear a collar, why force it on her? She's an indoor only kitty, let her live there without a collar.
Because her being an indoor only kitty does not ensure that she will not slip out a door by accident/etc. Or a natural disaster could occur (aka hurricane katrina and all those animals who were lost). It is in an animals best interest for their owners to be responsible and properly id them. Working at a shelter- i can't tell you how many people come in looking for their indoors only kitties who snuck out and had no id, chip, etc/. IT's not worth the risk to me. All of my animals are properly wear appropriate id.....i feel safer that way- knowing if they get out on accident then at least there might be a chance that someone will call. Also Kojak is microchipped- but i am about to microchip ALL of my furbabies as well for some added protection too. That's why it's important to me -i see too many "house cats" wind up in our shelter...

Originally Posted by white cat lover

Like Nikki said, I work in a shelter & see waaayyy too many well cared for cats who have no collar on & are never reunited with their owners. I've known of one kitty who was placed & months later the owner came looking for the kitty(had been in the hospital). Unfortunately, we couldn't reunite the owner with the cat as the cat already had a new home. His new kitty is now chipped & wears a collar w/ ID.
Well said Natalie!

Originally Posted by Green Bunny

Loki doesn't like wearing his collar, but Possum absolutely hates it! But it's a rule in my household that if they are going to live with me then they must wear collars with IDs and bells (so I can hear them coming!). I think it has to do with feel vunerable with something around their neck (the collars aren't too tight), and then when I sort have to encircle their necks to put the collars on. I certainly wouldn't want someone putting a collar on me, so I can understand that!

If Possum gets his collar off, sometimes it's days before I can get him to not freak out when I try to put it back on. I'd try a different collar, because they ones I have I just bought in January and March. They are safety collars, but they stay together pretty well (actually Possum's is harder to get off, too).

Tricia
Possum sounds cute!
I am about to switch back to the other type of collars i was using before these newest ones. I NEVER had problems with them

Originally Posted by sarahp

If someone finds a cat with no collar, and no collar mark around their neck, they're likely to think it's unowned and just take it in. If they have it for a while and take it to the vet and just say it's theirs, the vet is unlikely to check for a microchip.

If someone finds a kitty with a collar (or at least a collar mark), they're more likely to assume they're owned, and try to find the owner.

Nikki - I'm guessing your mum didn't make Jasmine wear a collar? I guess you just have to be more persistent than Jasmine
Nope- All of our animals wore collar back at my old house as well
My mom is really responsible as far as things like that go. When i moved the girls into Colin's house- i got them new collars with new id tags. That's where the problems began- the ones before that were NICE leather kitty safe type collars- they never took them off and since they fit properly- we never had any issues. I will be going to the store tomorrow and buying 4 of those
I am done with these new ones- it's not good that they keep comming off- if she were to slip out, it'd be bad if she didn't have id.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

If someone finds a cat with no collar, and no collar mark around their neck, they're likely to think it's unowned and just take it in.
Which is why I prefer ear tattoos to microchipping because unless you have a microchip scanner, you have no idea the animal has a chip. With an ear tattoo anyone can look and see that the animal belongs to someone.

Both of my kitties are spayed females and their ear tattoos are in their right ear to indicate that. Their tattoos are unique, registered to me and are on file with the Vet and The Humane Society so that in the event that they are brought there, their ear tattoo can be cross referenced to find me.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to borrow my boy Spalding, collars are his favourite toy
He can sniff out a fallen collar from a mile away
I've never lost one yet.

I do hope you find a collar that she can keep on, every piece of ID helps.