Challenge: Sketching from Photos

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For this challenge, I borrowed the lovely Easy but you may use any kitty pic you want

1. Open your file and duplicate the image
2. Desaturate the upper image (so it is just B&W)
3. Turn up the contrast on the pic so you get better definition in the image
4. Go to 'find edges' Filter > Stylize > Find Edges (not sure if this is in PSP but there is usually something similar)
5. Play with the levels (Ctrl + L) until you are happy

• Middle Arrow controls the shading
  • Left Arrow controls the thickness of the lines
  • Right Arrow controls the brightness
Then bring the bottom original layer to the top and set it to colour/overlay or soft light depending on your original and how you want the image to look.

Merge the layers and open a new bigger document (I resized my 'sketch' first so it would fit on here)

Fill the background with a natural colour and use the pattern overlay blend mode to add a pattern to make it look like paper or corkboard or whatever you want.

Put your 'sketch' on top (I added a drop shadow to get some definition)

Draw a small circle and fill it with colour, add a small line (to make the push pin) and add a drop shadow, bevel and glow to make it look like it is a ball not a flat circle.

and my final image:

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

It is a brush from deviantart
Probably made for CS2 or newer, right? I can't wait until I get CS2 which should be about a week or so after my Birthday. I am going to have some fun then. Until then, I'm stuck with 7.01.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I'm getting CS2 for my Birthday. I'm so exicted because I can't wait to play with that warp tool.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you do this with a black cat? When I tried with Tolly he came out white

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a thought. Mind you I don't know if this would work, but you could try turning Tolly's picture into a negative, and see what happens then. I forget the correct word for it, but it's up there where you change the modes, you know from colour to black and white. Probably something like invert, or something like that.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is about the best I can get Tolly, it seemed to work better without too much contrast.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Then bring the bottom original layer to the top and set it to colour/overlay or soft light depending on your original and how you want the image to look.
I'm stuck at the above point - I have my top layer as active, this is the original with no changes, how do I set it to colour/overlay or soft light

thanks...........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to the layer mode

as in this pic:

See just below the layer tab, there is the option for 'Hard Mix' (to the left of the opacity slider) this should say normal for your layer, click the drop down arrow and choose colour etc

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks - got that - but now I cant merge the layers, think I've done something wrong right at the beginning - I still struggle with the layer business, I understand the concept, but I get mixed up with what belongs in one piece of work if you follow my meaning.........

I'll start again.............

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no stuck again

I have clicked on the bottom original layer - both my working boxes/layer are called background
when I click on them - is that right ?

anyway when I try to do the "set it to colour/overlay or soft light" the drop down menu is grey-out so I cant access it ?

even if I try to jump this step - the option to merge the 2 'backgrounds' is also grey out - so thats not happening

why are they background and not layers - is that were my problems are ?