Noisey Neighbours

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just moved into this apartment on Wednesday. Every night since I've been here the people next door are super loud all night. I've banged on the wall and that only keeps them quiet for a little while. The rest of the time they are talking so loud I can hear every word clearly. If they aren't talking they are blasting music.

I want to go complain to management, but I don't want to look like I'm one of those people who complain about every little thing.

Any suggestions...I don't know how much longer I can go without sleep.....

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can u talk to them about it? Ask them if they could keep it down at night and such and be really nice about it
And take it from there! (sorry I am probly not much help seeing how my neighbor always complains and his house is a wreck and causing mice and well the borough wont do nothing because his mom owns land up the street
) But he likes to play some crazy music all hours so I have learned to just battle him
and play my music ( Theres only that house and another and a few up the street, and all of the neighbors have problems with this guy, and he complains because my dogs bark whenever they see him, which cocoa is inside but when he has to go he has to go lol and they love to lay outside but cocoa barks at the cats even ( we are thinking he has eye problems we are looking for a good vet at the moment) And well ya, I completly understand what u mean about neighbors
( o and my neighbor has 2 dogs himself who have tried to bite our dogs, and well I am really afraid to walk in the yard by myslef because of his dogs)

But ya, I would talk to them calmly and nicely about it and see what happens from there, hey u have to sleep u know and u are paying to live there as well

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, we complained to management. but our complex has a courtesy officer that goes to the door and documents the noise. as well as asking them to turn it down. it was a bunch of young guys throwing parties that were bothering us. (base so loud we had to move our bed) the office had many issues with that apartment. we celebrated when they moved out.
i knew if we had talked to them they would have just turned it up. it was like living in the dorms again (and i hated that the first time around).

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is very annoying when you have noisy neighbors. I had a similar problem with my downstairs neighbors most of last year. It finally got to the point where so many people in my building complain to the owner that he asked them to leave. Which they did about last month. I was one of the last people to complain about them because I felt it wasn't appropriate because I had moved in after they had. Now I wouldn't think twice about complaining even if I hadn't been living here very long, because if they are annoying you most likely they are annoying other people in the building as well.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Creepyowl

I just moved into this apartment on Wednesday. Every night since I've been here the people next door are super loud all night. I've banged on the wall and that only keeps them quiet for a little while. The rest of the time they are talking so loud I can hear every word clearly. If they aren't talking they are blasting music.

I want to go complain to management, but I don't want to look like I'm one of those people who complain about every little thing.

There are lots of crazy people in this world. I do not recommend that you go and talk to these people on your own. I looked after a fellow in the hospital who went next door to his neighbours and asked him at midnight if he could please turn the music down as he had to work in the morning. The neighbour went at him with a Machette and tried to kill him. He kept hacking and swinging at the guy's head and the guy was protecting his head and in the process ended up with one hand chopped off at the wrist (completely chopped off), and the other hanging by a bit of skin. Another neighbour came to his rescue.

Don't take the chance.

Write a letter to your management about the neighbours. Unless they have something in writing they can't do much about it.

You pay your rent and it's your right to live in a place where you aren't disturbed by your neighbours.

Here is a sample of a letter that I wrote about the people across the hall from me who were absolutely the most inconsiderate people I've ever run across while living here:

Dear Madam:

RE: APARTMENT #706

I am writing once again to complain about the people living in Apt 706. Nearly every single evening they have a loud party with loud music that is not only audible to me in my Apartment across the hall, but at times makes my floors and windows vibrate!

As well, everyday this week they have been stinking up the common hallway with marijuana smoke (and then air freshener to try and hide the smell). Last night there was even a faint smoke haze in the hallway because of it. Not only do I find the smell offensive, but I am Asthmatic and it cause me serious breathing difficulties, and the smell permeates into my apartment even when I put a rolled up towel at the bottom of my apartment door.

People come and go from that apartment numerous times over the course of an evening and night and they arenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t quiet about it either; knocking on the door instead of using the doorbell, and carrying on loud conversations in the hallway. At times Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been kept awake until after 4am! I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know if they are just heavy party people or if they are dealing drugs, but the constant racket is extremely bothersome.

The caretaker has been aware of these problems with Apt 706 as she has been witness to these issues. She has told me that there is nothing she can do and that I need to write to you. I have done that, several times, but the problems continue to exist.

Regards,
I had to write a number of letters about those people before they were evicted. I was on the verge of a breakdown because of all the noise before they finally moved out.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check your lease and/or other paperwork. There should be a clause in there about the quiet time for the complex. It usually starts at roughly 10 pm.

I agree with Natalie... do NOT go talk to your neighbors. They may not come at you with a knife, but they may do other things (keying your car, etc...). If it comes from management, they won't know exactly who is complaining.

It IS managements job to handle these things... not yours. Another thing you can do... call the cops. May seem excessive, but not really. they are disturbing the peace. Also can be anonymous. You know which apt they're in. Make a call to the non-emergency line for the police. if it's after 10 pm, call. don't wait.

I'd try management first, if they can be reached... if these clowns get enough complaints racked up against them, they can be evicted. I know... I've done that to rude, obnoxious neighbors who wouldn't heed the managements' warnings.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do go and talk with them, don't do it alone.

If they still don't participate in some common courtesy, call the police. Its your right to sleep.

Check into your lease too. Some complexes have a 30 day policy, so if you don't like you're apartment you can move to somewhere else in the complex (or terminate the lease in some cases) due to noisy neighbors.

I would call mangement though since you just moved in and get it reported.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya know, this is the reason I will not ever live in an apt. again. I had a lot of problems like yours over the years. I tired living on the 2nd floor thinking it would be better than living on the 1st since you can hear people walking back and forth but the 2nd floor was just as bad. I heard people from downstairs (loud stereo) people from the side (kids playing with a ball). If I did ask them to please tone it down, they got worse, people just suck sometimes. I now live in a mobile home park, at least I hear nothing from above or below me, it's much more private. You could ask the neighbors to please tone it down but don't know if that would help. Some people are just rude.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in a trailer park and it can be just as bad here. Between people driving with their music blasting at all hours to the motorcycles that just can't be the quieter kind... Then the party people. Yep it's fun. I've complained a few times but it's not helped. DH has called the cops a time or 2 now and that only helps for a bit too. I'm just wishing the days away till we can move.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another vote here for not talking to the neighbor. And I've rarely had any luck with apartment managers, who are usually very young people who identify more with the noise-makers than with quiet middle-agers like me.

(Don't get me wrong -- I can rock out with the best of 'em!
I just care enough to do it with the headphones on.)

It might be better to call the police -- not on 911, but on an administrative line, so you won't interfere with life-and-death calls. They may not be able to come out right away, but they can have a patrolman visit the offenders the following day and just discuss the issue with them, for their future reference.

On one occasion, I was awakened by a blast of heavy metal around 5:00 on a Sunday morning, and it was still blasting at noon. I finally went out and walked around until I found where the noise was coming from. It was a second-floor apartment, and the door was standing open.

I went up the stairs and knocked, trying to be courteous by not looking into the apartment as I did so. I knocker louder and louder... and then I looked around the corner into the living room.

There was a shirtless man lying face down on the carpet, apparently unconscious, with a big knife near his right hand.

At that point, I called the police. They came out and investigated (and turned off the stereo, thank goodness), and an ambulance followed. After awhile, the police officers stopped by my apartment to tell me that the man had been in a knife fight with a friend (a FRIEND?) during the night, and although he hadn't been wounded badly, he was so full of liquor and drugs that he had apparently just slipped into a coma. They asked me please never to approach a neighbor over a noise problem -- they'd rather have to come out and handle it than have a citizen walk into a potentially dangerous situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice. I went out of town last night so I don't know what the noise lvl was like. I'm here tonight and I'll see. Tomorrow I get all my furniture so maybe that will add a noise bufferzone. I'm hoping the noise was just due to the long weekend and not a regular occurance.

If it turns out to be then I'll go to the mangement.

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Hope things are going better tonight. By the way -- Emmett is a very handsome kitty!
Thanks. I haven't seen him in like a week. I miss that little guy. I pick him up on Thursday.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Creepyowl

If it is affecting you badly then you should talk to management. If you dont complain you're making yourself a doormat, sometimes i have to speak up about things and try to ignore the worry about people thinking you whine too much.

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went down this morning to complian. It started at around midnight and its still going on now at 10am. I have to give her something in writting and she also said to call the cops if its like that. She said someone will go talk to them today. I hope this gets cleared up nicely. I really don't want to have any problems living here. I have a year before I can find a new place.

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did sleep last night. It wasn't deathly quiet, but it was a lot quieter then it has been since I moved in. I hope it stays this way, but even more quiet I'll take too. I understand I live in an apartment building so super quiet isn't something I'll be getting, but at least I can sleep again.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad things have settled a bit for you. Hopefully it stays that way!

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah, the joys of apartment living!! I had a person move in right next door, our bedrooms shared a wall. I don't know which is worse, you hearing your neighbors talk and bang around all the time, or me waking up to the neighbors bed banging on the wall!!!!