Darn it! I swear I wasn't thinking!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I poured bacon grease down the drain a few days ago when I was in a post yummy breakfast haze, and now my garbage disposal isn't working. I've called the fix it people here, but we've had issues in the past so I don't really trust them.

Does any one have any ideas how I can fix this?

To quote Nat: ****

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots and lots of boiling water and white vinegar might help. But don't even think of using a drain cleaner! Very dangerous!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Lots and lots of boiling water and white vinegar might help. But don't even think of using a drain cleaner! Very dangerous!
I'm running the dishwasher right now in hopes that it will push enough hot water through the pipes to melt the gunk.

I am so not happy about this.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, just remembered something a plumber told me once: if you plug the drain, fill the sink (or tub) completely full, then pull the plug abruptly, it creates maximum push through the pipes -- the weight of all that water, y'see. Maybe that would help!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happened to me once before, I used boiling water and Dawn (grease cutting formula) and got it loose before Josh found out what I'd done!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

That happened to me once before, I used boiling water and Dawn (grease cutting formula) and got it loose before Josh found out what I'd done!
SEE! This is WHY I LOVE TCS!

Hold on...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

I get in trouble for stopping up the sink!!
Yeah, the fix it people here aren't the best in the world. It's a long story but I kind of went off on one of them, and the whole crew of them don't like me now. I'm sure that my apartment is on the bottom of their list.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Yeah, the fix it people here aren't the best in the world. It's a long story but I kind of went off on one of them, and the whole crew of them don't like me now. I'm sure that my apartment is on the bottom of their list.
Josh refuses to call a repair-man (you know the whole "big strong man" complex
) so I get the gripes when something goes down the sink that shouldn't have! I finally learned to fix it myself and save my sanity!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know I really need to start a list of "Awesome tips I never know when I'll need from TCS." This is another one!

Glad you got your disposal back in working order!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm glad you fixed it
My cousin once put some dumplings down the garbage disposal. That was an emergency call to the plumbers because it stopped everything up.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

LOL, well that and your sandwich stealing kitty!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I'm glad you fixed it
My cousin once put some dumplings down the garbage disposal. That was an emergency call to the plumbers because it stopped everything up.
What happened to the people that ate some of those dumplings?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

What happened to the people that ate some of those dumplings?
My cousin isn't known for her cooking so they were bad enough that no one ate them. Which is why they were dumped.