RIP Domenic (my car..lol)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my car will be going to the wrecker...It gave me a good scare last night so I am parking it for good.

I still haven't found another car, and I am having THE hardest time finding one..

I am going to see one at 4pm today, so if you could spare some "be the car" vibes, that would be great.

I REALLY can't afford to be cabbing to work everyday until I find one

Thanks guys!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
RIP Domenic -- you were a good pal.

Sending lots of }}}}}}}}}}right car{{{{{{{{{{{ vibes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to do about this car...help me decide!

Here are the stats:

2001 Honda Civic LX - 166000K - $7000CAD

Never been in an accident, and it drove like a dream...

Problems are: The airbag light came on..not sure if that is a big deal or not:dk

And there is some damage under one of the doors as her brother curbed the side of the car. Its not very noticeable though..but I KNOW its there. If you actually look at it, its very noticeable.

I feel like I need a car NOW, I simply cannot afford to cab to work until i find something..who knows how long that will take..

What do I do???????

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hummm....can you look at a few more before you make a final decision (like today and tomorrow??) at least look at a few and have some options before you pick one. no need to settle on an investment that big- make sure it's the right one for you. it does sound like a decient car- how many miles are on it?? have they kept up maintance / replaced parts recently?? I used to have a Honda- it was an 88' honda accord hatchback- i drove it forever until it was totaled by an F150
it was an AWESOME car- so i was really happy with hondas in general
i would look at a few more options before you make your decision.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also look and try to find a few more before deciding. If you notice damage like that and you know it's there, and are not happy about it, I would not settle on that. That car also has a lot of miles on it for only being about 6 years old.
Can you get a ride to work with a coworker? Do you have public transportation that may be cheaper? I hope you find the car that is for you! Remember, if there is anything you don't like about it, do NOT get it. You may regret it later on. Good luck finding a car!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would look at other ones if there were other ones. I have been looking for over a month, and there are NONE in this area. Thats why I'm panicked, I have no other cars to look at, AND I am carless

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I would look at other ones if there were other ones. I have been looking for over a month, and there are NONE in this area. Thats why I'm panicked, I have no other cars to look at, AND I am carless
I'm sorry to hear that you don't have any other cars available to look at. In a country that depends on the car for transportation, I can understand how being carless can affect you. If you feel ok about the car, then get it. Just go with your instinct.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I think $7000 is a lot of money for a 6 1/2 year old car, especially considering it's a Honda Civic isn't that expensive of a car in the first place. I don't understand the Kilometer milage, so I don't know if it has a lot of miles on it or not. Even if it has a small amount of body damage on it, you should find out how much that would cost to fix it, or how much it would take off the value of the car, also. Of course you are talking the Canadian dollar, so I'm not sure if the price is high for Canada.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Personally, I think $7000 is a lot of money for a 6 1/2 year old car, especially considering it's a Honda Civic isn't that expensive of a car in the first place. I don't understand the Kilometer milage, so I don't know if it has a lot of miles on it or not. Even if it has a small amount of body damage on it, you should find out how much that would cost to fix it, or how much it would take off the value of the car, also. Of course you are talking the Canadian dollar, so I'm not sure if the price is high for Canada.
$7000 is not alot for an 01 Civic here..usually they run at least $7000-$9000.

Its just the damage I'm not sure of...and that airbag light

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$7k is a good price, if it is in good shape.

Do you know a mechanic (or someone who 'knows' cars) who could look at it for you?

As far as the airbag light, I know in our truck it can come on if the system is tampered with or for system failure as well as an airbag problem so I would definitely get that checked before spending the money

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno Nat, that airbag light thing could be trouble. I'd have it looked at for sure. It might be something big, or it could just be something in the computer that needs to be tweeked- I know one of John's cars had that problem, and it was something w/ the computer and they just had to hook it up to something at the shop and switch it off.

I'd get your mechanic to look at it for sure tho.

And your set on getting only a Honda Civic? If this is THE ONLY car you can find, and you think you'll be okay, and it'll be dependable.... then do it! I just suggest getting it looked at before you decide anything final

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say look around some more. I think you could probably get a better deal. I got a 94 vw jetta for $1500 a week ago.

They have a chrysler neon out here for $4200 from the same place I got a car last week. I have some pics of it if you want to see, just pm me. It is certified and e-tested. I am not sure if you would want to come to Tillsonburg to get a car though.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

$7k is a good price, if it is in good shape.

Do you know a mechanic (or someone who 'knows' cars) who could look at it for you?

As far as the airbag light, I know in our truck it can come on if the system is tampered with or for system failure as well as an airbag problem so I would definitely get that checked before spending the money
The problem about the mechanic thing is, my mechanic is in London, and the car is in Eden (outside of Tillsonburg) which is about an hour away. It wouldn't be convenient at all to have a mechanic look at it.

Originally Posted by lunasmom

That is a really good deal ($6400 US for those wondering). I was checking autotrader.ca, and found the one you probably looked at and another one that just had call for price.

Here's a bunch on yahoo.ca's site. But only a couple in London.
http://ca.classifieds.yahoo.com/disp...time+2&intl=ca
Wow, thanks that is very helpful! There is actually one in Kitchener that I will look at
The London ones are too old.

Originally Posted by babyharley

I dunno Nat, that airbag light thing could be trouble. I'd have it looked at for sure. It might be something big, or it could just be something in the computer that needs to be tweeked- I know one of John's cars had that problem, and it was something w/ the computer and they just had to hook it up to something at the shop and switch it off.

I'd get your mechanic to look at it for sure tho.

And your set on getting only a Honda Civic? If this is THE ONLY car you can find, and you think you'll be okay, and it'll be dependable.... then do it! I just suggest getting it looked at before you decide anything final
Yeah, the airbag light could be the whole airbag, or just a sensor, but I would have to get it diagnosed..and I don't want to spend that money BEFORE I buy a car.

And yes, I really really want a civic
I don't see spending $7000-$10000 on a car I don't even want