Wooo-hoooo!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I snuck up on Ferris when he was napping on my roomie's bed, with nail scissors in one hand and a bag of treats in the other.

I sat down, grabbed his right front paw, clipping an extremely long claw that's been on snagging things.

Then I stuck a treat in his confused face, grabbed the same paw, went for and managed to trim the dewclaw before giving him another treat. YESSSSSSSSSSS!

I praised him the entire time.

I just clipped two nails on Ferris!

Break out the Parrot Bay Wave Runners - this Meowmy is ready to celebrate!

Oh ya - after those two, he was awake, and was NOT letting me touch another paw.

lochnessmonster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Clever you!
Pepsi needs to have a manicure as I find her attached to my curtains, blankets and bless her she just sits there with her paw hanging, looks like she's waving!
I want to trim hers but am scared to do so in case I hurt her. Can you pass on how to do it and what not to do as you seem to have managed so beautifully!!
PS I am glad to be back. I have had major computer problems but fingers crossed, it might just be fixed.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a terrible time clipping Misty's nails. I am able to get the front ones but have to sneak up on her also and be quick about it. The back nails are almost impossible for me to do, she goes completely berserk even anyone even tries to touch her back legs and paws so I rarely do the back. I make sure when she goes for a vet visit that the vet clips all all nails.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOO HOO!!! Time for a celebration.Clever way to do it, by the way.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a victory to me. Lets just hope he doesn't learn to sleep with one eye open. He'll see you coming next time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it was the treats from round one, or if it was just that he was deeply asleep, but I snuck up again on him later on in the day, this time when he was asleep on my bed.

This time he let me - and really, he did LET me, or I'd never have accomplished it - take hold of his left front paw and quickly cut ALL FIVE of the claws on it!!!

Then I quickly offered him a few more treats, again, praising him all the way through. What a good boy he was for me!

It's a SEVEN CLAW DAY!!!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Way to go

Congrats

Isn't it so exciting when u are able to get at least one nail, let alone 7
Its time to celebrate!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's great!
I have heard you can use human finger nail clippers. is that true? I need to clip my boys' nails.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

that's great!
I have heard you can use human finger nail clippers. is that true? I need to clip my boys' nails.
I use cat claw clippers, they are like scissors, but shaped just for the claw. I could never manage human ones - they might slip.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah that's what I was thinking. I will have to get some cat nail clippers.
I am sure my boys will do fine with me clipping their nails when I get some. I will grab a bag of treats like you did and that may do the trick.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally found the cat clippers very awkward to use. I have a much easier time with human nail clippers but cut from the side rather than up and down. Up and down seems to split the nail a bit.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
COngrates on the progress ... Zoey is a still a Mommy catcdh a claw if you dare

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I personally found the cat clippers very awkward to use. I have a much easier time with human nail clippers but cut from the side rather than up and down. Up and down seems to split the nail a bit.
i may try that........

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

that's great!
yup! i use regular nail clippers on my kitties and rabbits,and animal ones (doggies- the guilletine style) on my dogs. i've found that small nail clippers are easier to use on my kitties- but it really doesn't matter to me-i can use just about anything on them.
don't forget to file though and smooth out the nails afterwards whatever you use to trim them with!!!