When do you turn on your Air Conditioner?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blech. I hate summer

Our weather has been so wacky recently, somedays its up in the 90s, and then the next its in the 50s and 60s. Today is 85* and humid- but tomorrow its supposed to be only 60* and cool.
On days like today I REALLY wanna turn the AC on, but I love the lower bill when I don't have to use it, and especially when its gonan be cooler tomorrow... I think I'd rather just wait it out.

When do you draw the line and turn on the AC? Harley & Bayley are loving it tho, they've been laying in the sun all morning, enjoying a slight breeze coming in thru the doors and windows.

I just wanna turn it on

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stand to be hot ... so our central air has been going on since End of March...on and off...in the summers here, which are horribly hot and so much humidity it runs non stop all summer.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There were perhaps a dozen days all winter when I didn't have it on. I dream of living in a place where opening the windows is enough!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love the heat. I don't bother turning mine on unless it is over 90 and raining so I can't leave the windows open. I've put ceiling fans in most of the rooms at the new house so that if there isn't a breeze, I create one inside with the fans.

It's been similar weather here: 90 one day and 50 the next. We've had neither heat nor air on for the last 45 days.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cannot stand it to be hot in any kind of way. If we have a mild winter, sometimes I will sleep with the AC on then ....... it all just depends on what the weather is like. As long as I wake up with my teeth chattering Im good.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have to turn ours on if it's going to be in the upper 70's and sunny outside. Having a metal roof and not the best insullation, it will be at least 10 degrees warmer in here than outside and we have to think of the girls. I will not leave my windows open and that only helps so much here too. Our has been on for over a month...maybe 2 months already because of that. It doesn't run much or at all if it's cooler, but we've really needed it.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I'd had mine on for a couple of weeks, but running only as a dehumidifier. I've found that if you can get the moisture out of the air, a couple of fans are plenty until mid June or so. It's the humidity that I can't take.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What Air Conditioner?

Yes, there will be a stretch in high summer when we'll moan about the heat, but it won't be like what all you guys are talking about -- or at least not for an extended period -- and we also don't get the humidity that a lot of you are burdened with in summer. For the most part, open windows and doors are sufficient, as long as there's the possibility of a cross-draft. At the very hottest, we'll place fans in strategic positions to move the air.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your weather sounds like mine. I already have had my a/c a couple of different days already, when my place hits 80 degrees, I turn on the a/c. I don't care what month it is and I turn it off when it gets cooler, like today. It's so chilly here today that I don't even have my windows open. I just go by the weather and not the season, I have been know to turn on the a/c in early November cuz it was just too hot for me.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've run mine a couple of days already. And in between, I've had the heat on. I don't deal with hot, or even warm, very well. I always joke that my girls never lose their winter coats, cuz I keep my house so cold. My house has to be pretty cold at night for me to be able to sleep well.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The real question should be - when do you turn off your heat!!

I actually had to turn the heat back on yesterday morning before
I went to work. I had turned the thermostadt down to 58, so that when it cooled down at night, the heat wouldn't come on - we have had days with temps in the high 80's, but still cool at night. When I heard the weekend weather I realized that I really did need to have a bit of heat on to keep the house from being terribly cold and damp. Come on, it is the middle of May - I still haven't been able to plant tomatoes, etc......brrrrr.....I don't want to turn the AC on, but I would like to open my windows!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had 80+ degree days in January, along with 60 degree days in April.
With Old English Sheepdogs, in their long coat, we have the AC on when it start getting warm out.
Heat is more of an issue than cold down here. In fact, my sons never wore a coat to high school, even on cold days.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummmmmmmmm I've had mine on for a long time now.
In Jan. we had 86' weather.So, I have run mine and off since then.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I've had my AC on since February!!
HAHAHA! Was a very mild winter this year, so I saved money on heat! However, the past couple of days have been beautiful. 75 and sunny, low humidity. I want to move somewhere where it is like that most of the summer... without the snow in the winter. I'm open for suggestions!

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No air conditioning here. Just big, old shade trees and fans. I like fresh air and open windows with the sounds of birds in the morning and crickets at night. I hate it when I have to close the windows when it gets cold, it's so quiet.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No airconditioning in our house either. I rely on shutting the blinds on the east side of the house in the am and the west ones in the afternoon. She have shade trees and that helps too. If it gets really bad I pull out the air mattress and sleep in the family room in front of a fan. We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom and others to use. We spend most of our evening outside anyhow and with me working outside I do get used to the weather. However Neil would like to look at having central A/C installed in our house-but as we heat w/electric-no ductwork so a special A/C system for us.