Adopting a Cat

xlaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum]

Okay, here's my little story;

My friends neighbour has this cat that he doesn't want anymore and wants to get it put to sleep, which I can't let him do. I think it's really heartless and I won't let it happen - so my solution is to take this cat in and give it a new home. I'm still slightly grieving over my cat that I cherished who I had to get put down 7 months ago due to it being diagnosed with feline leukemia. That cat was my baby and it was hard to get over and I don't want to feel like I'm just replacing him.

My Mum and I have decided that we'll most likely take this cat in with the owners permission but were a bit apprehensive. We own a dog who loves cats - but were not sure how the cat will react to being thrown into such a new environment.

I've read the section on the site about bringing a new cat home but is there any other good advice?

Has anybody been in a similar position taking a cat in?

arielrain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have. When I first took in this stray I had two other cats at the time. It wasn't exactly harmonious,
but in time they learned to tolerate each other.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a pet gate, or child gate, you could put that up in a spare bedroom or maybe closing the living room off to your dog for awhile. That way the cat will have a room to feel safe in. The cat will need a while to get used to the new house alone but the dog will probably have him a bit uptight. As long as your dog isn't ever mean or picks on the kitty I would see no problem with the cat adjusting. We live with two cats and no dogs, but I take our kitties to other houses to visit that have dogs and after a few times of going over they are just fine with the dogs. They haven't had a bad experience with a dog so they don't feel the need to be afraid. Good Luck! Your kitty will come along fine with a nice dog like yours!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

If you have a pet gate, or child gate, you could put that up in a spare bedroom or maybe closing the living room off to your dog for awhile. That way the cat will have a room to feel safe in. The cat will need a while to get used to the new house alone but the dog will probably have him a bit uptight. As long as your dog isn't ever mean or picks on the kitty I would see no problem with the cat adjusting. We live with two cats and no dogs, but I take our kitties to other houses to visit that have dogs and after a few times of going over they are just fine with the dogs. They haven't had a bad experience with a dog so they don't feel the need to be afraid. Good Luck! Your kitty will come along fine with a nice dog like yours!
Thankyou for that advice! Were bringing the kitty home next monday and were preparing a safe room up for him for the first couple of days until we see he's a bit more relaxed. As for the dog, hopefully all goes well and they befriend eachother and don't make enemies. My dog is a softie and goes looking for the neighbours cats to say 'hi' so hopefully they both adjust well!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!!
Thanks for taking in this kitty!

I don't have any good suggestions other than to take your time. Expect hissing, the whole "tough" kitty routine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Welcome to TCS!!
Thanks for taking in this kitty!

I don't have any good suggestions other than to take your time. Expect hissing, the whole "tough" kitty routine.
Thanks

I'm excpecting the whole tough cat routine, I'm just hoping it doesn't last long as the cat will be an indoors pet, and so is my dog. Hopefully all goes well. I'll let everyone know how things go and I'll post a pic of the kitty, Named loui for all of you to see. He's a sweetheart!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
welcome to TCS and bless you & your Mum for taking in this boy. Looking forward to hearing how everything is going when you bring him home tomorrow.

I am sorry to hear about your loss a few months back. If you feel up to it, please post a tribute in the Crossing the Bridge forum. We would all like to honour your kitty.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to the site - its wonderful that you are taking this little kitty in. One of my cats, Pepsi came to us in just the same manner, they were gonna put her to sleep because they thought it was cruel to keep her in an apartment
All my four kitties are indoor/outdoor, so Pepsi fitted in real well, it did take a bit of adjustment but its certainly worth it 100% - I couldn't imagine letting her go for such a pathetic reason. Anyway.....

As mentioned above, its just a matter of time and slow introductions
Is it possible to dedicate a room just for Loui while he's settling in ? Cats obviously like to feel safe and if things get a bit fraught then he can have some peace & quiet in his own space

Well lots of luck and I look forward to hearing how things go and seeing a photo of the little fella