Keeping some rooms off limits?

halihoodlum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got myself a kitty cat, 1.5 year old white longhair named Gus. I live in a fairly small apartment, but he has lived in a studio before so it shouldn't be a problem. The only place that I don't allow him to explore is my closet because I don't want his fur all over my clothes, but it drives him nuts! He paws under the door, makes the most pitiful noises, and whenever I open the closet to get something he bolts in and hides - I have to go in and drag him out! I don't understand this fascination and would like to stop him from going in there...any suggestions? He's very timid so I don't like to startle him, but I need at least one fur-free place to keep my things!

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmmm I think this is a case of the forbidden fruit, he knows he not allowed in there so wants to go in there even more!!!!!

The thing is it probably nice and dark in there and he likes feeling secure, my cat Humphrey always trying to do it. Humphrey is an oppositional cat, whatever I tell him not to do he does it even more. If I tell him to do it he just lokks at me like Im stupid!!!

Oh the joys of being a cat lover!!!

Claire

xxxxxxxxxxxx

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have several doors that we always keep closed at our house. My craft room and my daughter's room.
I'm afraid that one of the furries will find something that will hurt them in those rooms, if we aren't around. Zoey loves my quilting pins, so I had to change the type of container they are in. My daughter is not as "neat" as we would like, so there are always bobby pins or hairholders lying around - dangerous stuff.
But the minute we open one of those doors, Zoey is in there. She must be part cheetah.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

But the minute we open one of those doors, Zoey is in there. She must be part cheetah.

We don't let the cats in the bathroom. A couple of years ago Sho couldn't resist peeing on a towel that had been left on the floor
even with cleaning I'm worried I might not have removed the smell well enough from the carpet.

Second, every time they do go in there they run right to the toilet and try to drink out of it.

If anyone finds a way to convince their kitty that these rooms/spaces are not their's let me know.
Until then I'll just keep the door shut and shoo them out when they run in.