My New Cat Won'r Eat

morrissey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I brought home a 1-2 year old car from the shelter yesterday. About two weeks ago he was knocked down & sustained a broken jaw. He still has a wire in his jaw which is being removed in 3 weeks. The worker in the cattery said to keep him on 2 packets of wet food in the morning and in the evening.
I bought the same food that he had been eating in the shelter. He came back with me at about 12pm yesterday. He's been very curious - a lot of tail wagging, and very friendly. He spent a lot of time on my lap and slept a few times throughout the day. I tried several times to feed him, but after a quick sniff he ignored it. I threw out the old food 4 times and replaced it with freshf ood - none of which seems to have made a difference. I tried mashing it up so that he could eat it better, I have tried to leave it as it is from the packet, I've tried just giving him small bits over long periods of time so that he wouldn't get too confused. After the night, he greeted me with a big hello and started purring for the first time.
Again, I cleaned out his bowl of food that had been untouched since last night and gave him fresh food and still he won't eat it.
He also hasn't used his litter box since coming home - nor has he excreted anywhere else. He jumped intow the box twice yesterday and had a dig, but that was it.
The shelter isn't open today so I can't get advice there, but I am worried about him and would really appreciate any advice.
Thanks a lot,
Morrissey

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry if he doesn't eat for 24 hours - he is probably stressed out, even though he is purring - that can be for reassurance. Don't let him get dehydrated though - do the pinch test at the back of hte neck, and if the skin doesn't snap back into place, he needs fluids. You may have to give him water or a mix of water and KMR through a syringe, but that may be hard in these circumstances as you need obviously to be careful of his jaw. If you think he is seriously dehydrated it may be necessary to call an emergency vet. It is great that you have taken in this poor boy - he sounds like he needs and welcomes love and care.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like kitty has had a rough time of it
I wouldn't let it go too long. call your vet and see if it's o.k. to do some real chicken or tuna in water in a blender for him/her to entice . Maybe a small bit of baby food? I hope he settles down and starts eating soon

sammymykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

Sounds like kitty has had a rough time of it
I wouldn't let it go too long. call your vet and see if it's o.k. to do some real chicken or tuna in water in a blender for him/her to entice . Maybe a small bit of baby food? I hope he settles down and starts eating soon
captiva is 100% right. but my sammy did not eat untill 6 hours after we got him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morrissey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank for your responses - they were a great help. I think he is just he fussiest easter going! I gave him a can of tuna which he absolutely gobbled down him! However, later on he turned his nose up at a fresh tin. I've tried several different brands, all of which he turned his nose up at. I gave him some turkey which he really enjoyed. I'll just have to keep trying different brandsa nd flavours.
You're right too about him being through a tough time and being stressed. He's only now beginning to show his playful side - but it looks as though he doesn't know how to play. He will follow a string, but won't pounce. Also his balance isn't the greatest, he really lacks confidence in himself, but he is beginning to take more risks jumping up & using his stand. He's an absolutley beautfiul pet though, and will be worth the time it takes to develop his trust.
So thanks again for your help - I was so worried.
Morrissey

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a baby dropper and some Gator ade, and give him a wee bit. I did that when Humble would not eat. It seemed to help. You are a good mama, and I am praying for you and your new kitty.
Blessings to you!