high fever/diarrhea

mpieratt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

3 days ago my cat started leaving diarrhea around the house, it looked like maybe there was some blood, couldn't tell for sure, slight tint of dark red.

she did that for about day and half, then diarrhea stopped (probably because she wasn't eating but she was not feeling well at all, very lethargic, no appetite, not drinking fluids.

she felt warm earlier today so i took her temperature and she was at 105. she's in the pet hospital now, on IV... etc

they estimated around $1,000 for troubleshooting this, and keeping her on IV, etc...

i will contact my vet first thing (new vet), but i would like to be armed with as much info as possible, i'm on a tight budget (who isn't), and wanted to make informed decisions.

so just thought i'd check the forums,

any information greatly appreciated.

best regards,
-mark

ps., we have a water turtle, and she (my cat) has been drinking from it. i just learned that turtles can carry salmonella. i keep the tank clean, but thought i'd include that little tid.bit.

thanks again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mpieratt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
last night another cat of mine has started diarrhea. have 5 cats, from the remaining 4 in the house, not sure yet which one now has diarrhea. since they all eat from the same food dishes, it's very possible they now all have whatever bug/ailment.

i'm a little concerned here, i suspect there's a couple days before signs lethargy, high fever, etc, begin...

i'll be talking to a vet today, but if anyone has any info/advice, i would really appreciate it.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you mention the turtle water to the vet?
It could simplify the diagnosis process and save you some money there.
The catch is going to be getting the correct antibiotic due to some drug resistance that has developed over the years.
If this is salmonella, the other cats should probably start on antibiotics.

And you need to see if anything can be done about salmonella in the turtle or think about another place for it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mpieratt

ps., we have a water turtle, and she (my cat) has been drinking from it. i just learned that turtles can carry salmonella. i keep the tank clean, but thought i'd include that little tid.bit.
All animals can carry salmonella, not just reptiles. So don't get rid of the turtle for that. Get or make a lid for the tank, it deserves a secure cat free environment.

Have your cat tested for coccidia and giardia, better yet get a fecal sample from your turtle tested for these too, since your cat has been drinking from the water.

If that is what the problem is you MUST treat the turtle too, these protozoa infections will kill it. Always wash your hands and anything your turtle or it's water comes in contact with, these are transmittable to humans as well.