URGENT - FEEDING roadkill, hair, blood, pus, chicken heads, feces, to our cats? HELP

michea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw something on the news and found this:

Nationwide Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Pet Food
Companies and Retailers For Misleading Consumers Regarding the Contents of Pet Food

“Premium†Pet Food Marketed and Sold as “Complete and Balanced†Has Historically Contained Such Items as Euthanized Dogs and Cats, Restaurant Grease, Hair, Hooves, and Diseased Animals, and Other Inedible Garbage.

http://www.mflegal.com/petfood/Blasz...ss-Release.pdf

The $58,000,000,000 spent by consumers on pet food over the last four years has
been without the knowledge that the “quality,†“prescription,†“premium†or “gourmet†food that
they are feeding their companion animals was made of garbage unfit for human consumption,
including, but not limited to, restaurant grease, roadkill, hair, blood, pus, esophagi, chicken
heads, feet and intestines, cow brains, excrement, fetal tissue, moldy grains, hulls, styrofoam
packaging from discarded supermarket meat, euthanized animals, including cats and dogs,
ground up flea collars, and diseased, dying, disabled and dead animals.

http://www.mflegal.com/petfood/Complaint.pdf

Mars, Inc.,
Proctor and Gamble Co.,
Colgate Palmolive Company,
Del Monte Foods, Co., and
Nestle U.S.A. Inc.

These manufacturers have a combined approximate 70% of the market share.

What the heck can I feed my cats I am so sick over this, Does anyone know?????? Please I am freaking out.

The site I got this from is this
http://www.mflegal.com/petfoodlawsuit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where is everyone?????

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by michea

Where is everyone?????
I think right now no one really knows what to say. It's hard to trust pet food makers right now and people are over whelmed just trying to keep track of the recalls.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I think right now no one really knows what to say. It's hard to trust pet food makers right now and people are over whelmed just trying to keep track of the recalls.
EXACTLY...

As for the original poster MOST OF YOUR things are INACCURATE at best

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally, i take anything found on a lawyer's website with not just a grain, but an entire shaker of salt.

nopulp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by luxum

Personally, i take anything found on a lawyer's website with not just a grain, but an entire shaker of salt.
That is a lot of salt.

I tend to think that pet food probably isn't full of that stuff. I mean "pus" eek!

Most major brands of pet food have their own quality control and if all of that stuff was in a lot of brands someone working at the mill would probably say something...I mean there are a lot of pet owners out there...and even the ceo's of these companies own pets and their families own pets. So I think they do want to put the best products on the market. That's just what I think.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not surprised at all that those kinds of things are in pet food. I dont really beleve we as pet owners can TRUST the companyes of pet food. Survival is a strong instinct in all creatures, humans are no different, money is survival to us so naturally people will do anything to get it.

We have to trust ourselves as for what realy best for our animal companions, Personally I like raw, but have issues with Bindi and raw, Tom is too old for it and if our new cat to be Somalu will go for it, I'd be happy to buy it, But thats just me everybuddy has their own opinions.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

As for the original poster MOST OF YOUR things are INACCURATE at best
Exactly. Some of those practices did happen in the past but there's heavier regulations now. With the recent recalls, even more regulations are being added - ie, more tests.

All plants have recalls, it's unavoidable. The majority of them are small, 50 tons or so, and no one hears about them. Other instances, the food never makes it out of the plant because they catch it quickly and trash it. I'm sure this happens with lots of human foods too.

Any one that's even glanced at those pdfs, are you aware they're claiming that there's actually little or no meat in the brands that do contain meat? So where does all the meat that's sent to these plants go? Are the workers sitting in back munching on it?

This lawsuit honestly sounds like a law firm taking advantage of pet owners fears at this time and trying to make a grab for money.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"Any one that's even glanced at those pdfs, are you aware they're claiming that there's actually little or no meat in the brands that do contain meat? So where does all the meat that's sent to these plants go? Are the workers sitting in back munching on it?
"

Don't most commercial petfood brands contain about 4% meat anyway? With a few notable exceptions, being those used by most members of this site.
I'd always assumed that the 4% was gizzards and stuff anyway.

Money grabbing lawyers make me sick.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

This lawsuit honestly sounds like a law firm taking advantage of pet owners fears at this time and trying to make a grab for money.
I heartily agree. After all, in a giant lawsuit, the only entity that goes home with full pockets is the winning law firm.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cata_mint

Don't most commercial petfood brands contain about 4% meat anyway? With a few notable exceptions, being those used by most members of this site.
I'd always assumed that the 4% was gizzards and stuff anyway.
Yes, the cheaper brands have meal but little actual meat. That's why they're cheaper. You pay for what you get, for the most part.

As for the gizzards, lots of people actually eat those... DH included.

I'm sure for raw feeding a few gizzards and necks are perfectly fine for cats.

Originally Posted by GingersMom

I heartily agree. After all, in a giant lawsuit, the only entity that goes home with full pockets is the winning law firm.
And the sad fact, these companies are trying to cover their butts right now and save PR if they can. They may very well settle. This combined with their current losses, and gas prices will likely mean pet food prices could be going up.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh i know, i just meant that the lawyers probably found One case (if that) of meat containing pus/cats/dogs and exaggerated the rest. I don't mind if my cats eat intestines or feet. I am a little worried by the idea that they are eating DYING animals, and that the food MAY contain dead animals....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cata_mint

and that the food MAY contain dead animals....
Well, I'd be pretty horrified if a bag of cat food was still clucking

I know what you mean, just couldn't resist a silly joke.

I'm sure they get plenty of cast offs from meat processing plants. Same animals we're eating.. if not necessarily the parts we'd eat. Though in some cultures people do eat chicken feet, intestines, tripe (this is in potted meat btw) and lets not even start on what people will pickle...

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah brawn and pigs trotters used to be really popular, plus lard as a spread, its all meat, and they're designed to handle that kind of thing. Its just our delicate ideals that get in the way.
The use of cats/dogs etc excepted of course.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I'm sure they get plenty of cast offs from meat processing plants. Same animals we're eating.. if not necessarily the parts we'd eat. Though in some cultures people do eat chicken feet, intestines, tripe (this is in potted meat btw) and lets not even start on what people will pickle...
Sorry for getting off track with this...but on a recent search around town for chicken hearts, I found ummmm Pork Uterus for sale.
I thought I'd seen it all. I was wrong.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for getting off track with this...but on a recent search around town for chicken hearts, I found ummmm Pork Uterus for sale. I thought I'd seen it all. I was wrong.
There is a local Latino meat market here - i drove by one day and the sign out front was advertising "whole goat head"! What the heck could you do with that anyway?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luxum

There is a local Latino meat market here - i drove by one day and the sign out front was advertising "whole goat head"! What the heck could you do with that anyway?
Ew, here they have whole pigs heads at the local grocery store. No idea what the practical use of either is...

DH just informed me, they boil the heads and use the meat in foods like tamales.