Still terrified after 1 month?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need some advice. I caught a cat a month ago which I thought was a shy stray, but I think may really be feral. I got him neutered and I've been trying to socialize him and get him to trust me but he has not made any progress at all. He is still terrified of me/other people and very unhappy being indoors/near people. He just wants to get away from people. I'm not sure what the best thing to do is, since he is so unhappy I don't know if I should keep trying to socialize him or if I should release him, I don't know what would be best...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont remember details. Did you try with Feliway difffuser? Try this before you do something "desperate".
Usually it isnt necessary in such cases, but in difficult cases is often the little extra needed to solve tensions.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neko,

If you want to send me a PM (private message) through this website, I will be happy to work with you. It is difficult to do this in a forum because there are so many questions to ask you. Generally, I do this by email but won't post my email address here- I already get way to much spam!

But PM me and I will see what I can do-

arielrain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that I rescued a few years ago or so. It took a lot of time, patience and love to turn this little lady around, but in the end, she turned out to be the most loving little angel. I am sure he resents being indoors after having his freedom and who know knows what he went through while out in the wild. In time he will trust you.

I used to just sit or lie down near my cat without touching it any way, to let it get used to me and to show I wouldn't harm her. Then I would gently pet her if she tolerated it. After a while she would purr when I pet her and she began following me around. It did take longer than a month though. You have given him safety, food and love. I think you should hang in there and see what happens.

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I need some advice. I caught a cat a month ago which I thought was a shy stray, but I think may really be feral.
Hi,

I'd definitely take Hissy up on her generous offer. A month is a very short period of time in the mind of a cat. He'll definitely come around if you use the right techniques, and patience and consistency. Even feral cats can be socialized to humans, it is just that it takes a good while longer than many people are willing to wait. Since you've made it this far, I am rooting for you (and for him)!

This is an example, by the way, of how tricky it is to distinguish between strays and feral cats. Know that you aren't alone in making a mistaken call about his degree of prior socialization!

Best,
Linda

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this the same little kitty you posted about in this thread? http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123483

Such a sweet looking little boy!

I, too, would take Hissy up on her wonderful offer.

We all know just how frustrating this can be.

...But time and patience really are the number one ingredient to working with/socializing ferals. I know you were looking for shelters to help with this little boy and you just kind of ended up stuck with him. But in the end these kitties choose us for a reason, and I'm sure you'll find the time and work you put into this little boy rewarding - and so will he.

You're an angel for rescuing this kitty, and though progress may seem slow, I'm sure he's better off with you and he'll know that - just not necessarily on our idea of a time table.

Hang in there!

Laurie