TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Do you smoke?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you smoke? - Page 3

post #61 of 89
I smoked heavily for 20 years, but have been smoke-free for over a year now (since March 2006). DH still smokes. *eyeroll*
post #62 of 89
Never have, never will. I can't stand being around cigarette smoke, it burns my eyes and makes me cough.

I hate when people are driving and blowing smoke out the windows, which comes into my car. If you don't want it in your car what makes you think I want it in mine?
post #63 of 89
Brent and I both quit when I got pregnant and that was over 2 years ago.
post #64 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
I've never taken a single puff in my life. Always found it revolting, even before I understood the health issues.

It was Bob Newhart who saved me from smoking, actually -- we had some of his comedy records when I was a kid, and one of his routines was a one-sided phone call from Sir Walter Raleigh back to England, telling them about this quaint custom of the natives he had encountered here in America. Bob played the marketing expert who received the call (you don't hear Sir Walter Raleigh's part), and it went something like this, best I can remember:

Walt, baby, how are things in the colonies?

Great, great... so I hear you have this new product you wanna try out back here, tell me about that.

Uh... leaves? Did you say leaves, Walt?

Leaves. Uh, Walt... y'know... come fall in England here, the trees... we really have plenty of...

Oh, that's not all. Okay. I'm listening, Walt.

They dry the leaves, yeah, okay.

And they roll them up in paper, yeah... yeah, I'm with you, Walt. They roll 'em up and...

And they stick 'em in their mouth...

And they -- ha! They set fire to 'em, Walt, is that what you said?

Oh gosh, Walt, I gotta tell ya... this doesn't sound... nobody in his right mind... I mean, no offense, Walt, but... don't call us, we'll call you, okay babe?


I loved that routine! And after hearing that, how could I even think of doing something so clearly ridiculous?
I seem to recall reading that Raleigh's servant saw him smoking and used a bucket of water to douse him. Thought he was on fire.

We recently had an apartment fire in the city near me. Smoker, on oxygen for lung problems, ignited her oxygen tank and severely burned herself and her granddaughter.
post #65 of 89
I've never smoked, but I was exposed to copious amounts of secondhand smoke growing up (both parents smoked.) I've always been quite sickly as far as respiratory health is concerned....I have asthma, and frequently get bronchitis and/or pneumonia. I'm sure it's because of the secondhand smoke. I feel sorry for people who want to quit, because I've seen how difficult it was for my father after he had his heart attack. My mom just decided one day to quit, and that was it. Stupid me, I married a smoker! Any more, the slightest whiff of cigarette smoke will trigger an asthma attack, so I pretty much avoid bars and restaurants. I can't even walk by someone smoking outside without it making me wheeze and need my inhaler.
post #66 of 89
Nope, never have been a smoker.
post #67 of 89
I don't smoke. I never have, not even one puff. I think smoking is one of the stupidest things you can do. It's aweful for your health.
post #68 of 89
This is a topic I never thought I'd see here!

I smoked for 15 years from '88 to '03. Quit cold turkey! Started up again when I worked at a summer camp last summer, telling myself that I'll quit at the end of the summer. (end of August) Didn't quit until November. Just started up again in anticipation of working at the camp again. A majority of the workers smoke there. I don't know if I'll smoke all summer as I'll be getting in shape as I'm living on the camp this year.

It's a B*TCH to stop, ain't it???
post #69 of 89
I dont smoke, it actually scratches my throat, my mother always told me not to start because its expensive and not worth it. I do light up a cigarette when im extremely drunk but i dont enjoy it like i smoke the water pipe (shisha) that stuff is great to smoke, but it smells so awful the next day!
post #70 of 89
Been smoking, since I was 12. To date, I've tried cold turkey, the patch, nicotine gum and Zyban. I even had an appointment with a hypnotist. I've managed to last a day or two but, always went back to it. The hypnotist wasn't able to put me under so that was a wasted $150.
post #71 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by katl8e View Post
Been smoking, since I was 12. To date, I've tried cold turkey, the patch, nicotine gum and Zyban. I even had an appointment with a hypnotist. I've managed to last a day or two but, always went back to it. The hypnotist wasn't able to put me under so that was a wasted $150.
From what I remember, if they can't put you under, you don't pay? I would think if the service can't be performed, you shouldn't pay. I wouldn't...
post #72 of 89
I started smoking at a very early age, at least for me, I was about 13 yrs. old. I smoked about 2 packs a day when I finally quite in 1990. Now I'm your typical non smoker, I can't stand to be anywhere near smoke or smokers, they really stink to me now. You don't realize how much you smell like a full ashtray till you finally quit. Thank God the law has stopped smoking in most public places, I for one appreciate that.
post #73 of 89
If you can't quit on your own, try some help. There are patches and gum out there to help you or even certain phone numbers. I bet you could quit if you had a little help. Good luck.
post #74 of 89
Hi, I don't feel I'm bashing anyone here, only stating my feelings. The one thing that differs between smoking and drinking is that second hand smoke kills, if your around a drunk you can't die from being near him. A drunk only kills himself, I..by the way do not drink at all. Did when I was a lot younger, now I feel there is no reason for it especially since I'm dieting, lol.
post #75 of 89
I have smelled smoke when I am behind a car at a red light when the people are smoking, you just can't miss that smell or get away from it. Unfortunately people who smoke carry the smell with them as well, when they pass you buy they just stink so bad as do heavy drinkers, they stink too. You certainly don't smell clean or smell like the cologne or after shave you put on earlier in the day, all you smell is the crap your putting into your body and that's a shame.
post #76 of 89
You hit this nail right on the head, the only thing we can catch from anybody is second hand smoke, you don't catch anything sitting beside a drug addict or drunk but druggies are against the law, cigerettes should be against the law also, I would be the first one to vote for that. Oh yeah we can catch colds from others but normally a cold is not a death threat.
post #77 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
I smoked Marlboro red kings for 24 years, quit 3 1/2 years ago. Second best thing I ever did for myself. (First was getting the Harley. )

I miss it sometimes, but I don't miss being sick so much, I don't miss the coughing and I sure as all heck don't miss being such a slave to the coffin nails or the money I used to spend on them.

I did not turn into "one of those" former non-smokers that judge smokers harshly, however, I can't have anyone smoke in my car or my house, because it makes me WANT ONE.

And I abjectly REFUSE to EVER pick up a cigarette again. Until, maybe, they tell me I've got only a couple of hours to live, then PASS ONE OVER and GIVE ME A LIGHT!
Wow, your story sounds exactly like mine...except that I quit 9 years ago, and bought a Yamaha (I can't afford a real motorcycle )

...and yes, I could light one up right now, but I refuse to. The way I look at it, I never quit...I just keep putting it off
post #78 of 89
I have quit before but right now I don't want to quit. It helps me calm down when I am anxious and if I couldn't smoke cigarettes when I leave I don't think I would make it without freaking out (agoraphobia and socail anxiety disorder). I can understand people not wanting to be around it and respect that but if I am smoking in my car with the windows up thats my business. I don't throw ashes out the window or cigarette butts.
post #79 of 89
all this talk about smoking is making me want a cigarette! just kidding, but man oh man would I love to start up again as weird as that sounds to most of you, its the truth, I really liked smoking and I'm not ashamed of it, nor will I offer excuses, I honestly liked smoking! oh well, life goes on
post #80 of 89
I am 20, and I smoked from age 16-19. i recently just quit. WOOHOO!
post #81 of 89


umm, that would be a no!
post #82 of 89
I smoke cigarettes. It's my only vice. I don't drink anything alcoholic at all.
post #83 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965 View Post
I think it is interesting that people who are so against smokers/smoking and call smokers names will gladly drink themselves silly. Booze is addictive, smells bad, KILLS people every day, kills brain cells permanently yet those who hate smokers drink with with a clear conscience.

I just don't get the inconsistency here. Both are legal, both stink, both kill but alchohol is somehow more acceptable. Is it the media? News reports?

I don't want to turn this into an IMO thing on this thread. After reading the responses so far, I think it is sad that smokers are hiding their heads in shame while non-smokers feel it is okay to bash them.

Until those who bash others are themselves some version of heavenly perfection, I believe they should rethink bashing. Thanks!
Thank You Bonnie. I know both are filthy habits, and I am a smoker. However, I do agree that booze is just as bad, if not worse, and sadly it's accepted, and no one thinks any less of you, if you do drink. I however would much rather live with someone who smokes than someone who drinks. I absolutely HATE being around anyone who drinks.
post #84 of 89
my older sister and I were adopted when we were 4 and 6, the parents who adopted us never smoked and neither did we growing up but after I was about 20 I started, my sister started sometime after that, we met our real parents and they do smoke, I have tried to quit cold turkey once, I ran out at night and thought I would try it, I made it through the night then got up the next morning and got my girls ready for school, then after they left I sat down and my heart rate dropped down to almost nothing, I don't know if that was a result of not having the nicotine my body wanted or what but I am to scared to try cold turkey again.
post #85 of 89
I've never smoked at all or tried it. Most of the people I grew up with smoked but always said it was something to stay away from and I did.
I have nothing against smokers, but I wish they wouldn't do it infront of non smokers, it really makes me feel sick and bad and lots of others I'm sure!
Smoking is a choice, but I've been asking friends nicely for years to not smoke directly infront of me and they still carry on with it, which is just disrespectful really.
I'll be glad when the smoking ban for public places comes into place on
July 1st! It's a great idea as long as they keep on enforcing it as it means smokers can smoke and they won't be irritating non smokers half as much!
post #86 of 89
I don't smoke and a good thing too because I have a tendency to get very bad colds and respiratory infections.

I used to be a very militant anti-smoker (all the anti-smoking propaganda I heard when I was a kid really worked) so much so that when I was around 8 years old and heard that my dad used to smoke at one point I got so angry at that "betrayal" that I punched him.

My home is completely smoke free though and even when I have parties any smokers need to smoke outside. Also where I live all places where people work have to be smoke free (this includes clubs, bars and pubs) and I think that's just fantastic.
post #87 of 89
My dad just quit!
post #88 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRussa View Post
If you can't quit on your own, try some help. There are patches and gum out there to help you or even certain phone numbers. I bet you could quit if you had a little help. Good luck.
I know you're trying to be helpful, but after watching one of my good friends try to quit and hearing what some of her friends said to her... this can come off as insensitive. What people who are trying to quit hear when you say this is "You're not trying hard enough". I know it isn't what you mean but this might be one of those cases where only people who've gone through it can give advice, I mean, imagine the worse PMS times a thousand and then throw some headaches in there too, and that is what its like. Those quit lines do drastically increase your chances, you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRussa View Post
Hi, I don't feel I'm bashing anyone here, only stating my feelings. The one thing that differs between smoking and drinking is that second hand smoke kills, if your around a drunk you can't die from being near him. A drunk only kills himself, I..by the way do not drink at all. Did when I was a lot younger, now I feel there is no reason for it especially since I'm dieting, lol.
Drunks do considerably more damage than smoking when they're behind the wheel, when they decide to get into a fight, when they fall and hit their head... homeless alcoholics cost your average city millions. Second-hand smoke is mainly a concern of people who live with smokers or spend a large portion of their time in places that allow heavy smoking. IMO alcohol does considerably more damage, and in many ways you can get away from smoke if you want with the exception of children. Smoking doesn't change your personality or make you unable to control yourself. I've never woken up after smoking a cigarette and realized I'd done/said something incredibly stupid the night before. I've never been hit because somebody had a few too many cigarettes. My mom's friend did not die in a car accident because the other person had too much nicotine.

The reality of it is that people do stupid things to themselves, some of which are damaging to themselves and others. But we aren't banning alcohol or unprotected sex. Why cigarettes? Alcohol causes cancer too.
post #89 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
Drunks do considerably more damage than smoking when they're behind the wheel, when they decide to get into a fight, when they fall and hit their head... homeless alcoholics cost your average city millions. Second-hand smoke is mainly a concern of people who live with smokers or spend a large portion of their time in places that allow heavy smoking. IMO alcohol does considerably more damage, and in many ways you can get away from smoke if you want with the exception of children. Smoking doesn't change your personality or make you unable to control yourself. I've never woken up after smoking a cigarette and realized I'd done/said something incredibly stupid the night before. I've never been hit because somebody had a few too many cigarettes. My mom's friend did not die in a car accident because the other person had too much nicotine.
A person drinking responsibly does not cause me problems. There is no way I can be around any smoker and not feel the irritation of my lungs. Smoking is more subtle in its damage and it is invades others space no matter what the intention of the smoker.

And I do know the pain of losing someone close from another person driving and drinking irresponsibly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Do you smoke?