TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Screaming for no reason!! HELP!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Screaming for no reason!! HELP!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I've had my cat for about four years already so I know almost all of his moods and behaviors really well. Well last night he did the weirdest thing. He was sitting on the sofa and he screamed REALLYYY loud, two times! I was in another room but my mom was witness to this. She said he was just sitting there and scratching and then he screamed, then he laid down on the sofa arm and had his claws clenched to the sofa and screamed again. For no reason! He sounded like a human, I have never ever heard him scream like that. It sounded like the way they scream when you accidentally step on their tail but it was even louder and it lasted a good few seconds. It really scared me, I thought maybe he was possessed or something.
We live in a duplex and our neighbor has a dog that stands by the door and I think he's been giving my cat fleas because my cat's been getting them and he doesn't even go outside! I was thinking maybe he was just irritated because of the fleas biting him. I put medicine on him this weekend and it seems to be working. But still I have no idea why he screamed so loud.
Does anyone maybe have an idea. Please help! I keep thinking that maybe he has something medically wrong with him. I'm worried.
post #2 of 13
I can't tell you for sure, but it is possible that there is something medically wrong with your cat. It sounds like he's either in pain or ill, but like I said before, I can't say for sure. The best thing you can do is take your cat to the vet for a through examination.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks. I think that's what I'm going to have to do. I'm just monitoring his behavior for now and he seems alright again. But I just can't stop worrying, he's my baby.
post #4 of 13
What kind of flea medicine did you use? The stuff from the grocery store, pet store, etc is notorious for causing NASTY reactions, even death. I don't want to scare you, but it's necessary.

The only flea meds I'll use are the prescription type from the vet - Revolution, Frontline, and Advantage.

If you used over the counter medicine, I would suggest a bath in some cat safe shampoo - something mild, and a visit to the vet.
post #5 of 13
First I'd like to say Welcome to TCS! I think that taking him to the vet is the best thing. Maybe this is his way of telling you he's not well. Just remember that cats are usually very good at hiding discomfort or pain (it's important for them not to show weakness in the wild) so if he does appear sick a trip to the vet is always a good idea.
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
What kind of flea medicine did you use? The stuff from the grocery store, pet store, etc is notorious for causing NASTY reactions, even death. I don't want to scare you, but it's necessary.

The only flea meds I'll use are the prescription type from the vet - Revolution, Frontline, and Advantage.

If you used over the counter medicine, I would suggest a bath in some cat safe shampoo - something mild, and a visit to the vet.
I took him to the vet this weekend and that is where I asked about any flea medication they might have for me to give to him. I'm not sure if it was Frontline or Advantage, because the guy mentioned both. But then they just took him and put it on him for me.
I did notice he was acting a little strange when I took him home. He seemed restless and he would lay down and pant the way he does when he's exhausted. But that was just the first day and I thought it was normal because maybe the fleas were going crazy. But after that first day, he was fine.
post #7 of 13
It is entirely possible that he had a reaction to the Frontline or Advantage, too.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mew View Post
First I'd like to say Welcome to TCS! I think that taking him to the vet is the best thing. Maybe this is his way of telling you he's not well. Just remember that cats are usually very good at hiding discomfort or pain (it's important for them not to show weakness in the wild) so if he does appear sick a trip to the vet is always a good idea.
Yea, I was monitoring him closely last night and will do so this evening when I get home. I think I will take him to the vet though just to make sure. Thanks.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
It is entirely possible that he had a reaction to the Frontline or Advantage, too.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mew View Post
First I'd like to say Welcome to TCS!


I'm sorry, that was rude of me to not welcome you. I didn't mean to be harsh...it's just that when you mentioned the screaming, the 1st thought in my mind was the flea meds. I hope he's OK.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
It is entirely possible that he had a reaction to the Frontline or Advantage, too.
I didn't really think about that until you told me. Mostly because it's been a few days and he's been fine. I've never used that medicine on him because he's never had alot of fleas.
post #11 of 13
I so totally gave you the cold shoulder as far as welcomes go, too!!

Welcome to TCS! We are all as worried about your kitty as you are. Please let us known how the vet visit goes.
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
True.





I'm sorry, that was rude of me to not welcome you. I didn't mean to be harsh...it's just that when you mentioned the screaming, the 1st thought in my mind was the flea meds. I hope he's OK.
Thanks!! I just happened to google 'cat forum' and found this site. It's great so far. Glad to find fellow cat lover's like myself!
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
I so totally gave you the cold shoulder as far as welcomes go, too!!

Welcome to TCS! We are all as worried about your kitty as you are. Please let us known how the vet visit goes.
Thanks!!! And I will keep ya'll posted.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Screaming for no reason!! HELP!