Chicken Soup

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so after long consideration. I decided I am going to switch PHX over to Chicken Soup cat food. So I decided to call around to make sure I could find a pet store that sells it. The very first place I call... I asked them if they carry it.... because I got their number off the chicken soup distributor list... anyways they are like

"No, the chicken soup is not good for pets, so we don't carry that!"

:censor::censor::censor:??!!??
I don't know what to do now.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you ask why they said that? And it's usually sold at feed & farm supply type stores, $18-$22 for a large bag.
There was a recall on some of their can recently, but not their dry.

I have been feeding the boys the adult formula dry, I was waiting for the RPC in Caster&Pollux that I normally feed to be cleared - thankfully it was. They're fine on it and will be finishing up their bag soon.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could very well be their personal opinion. I know many pet stores will not carry foods that the owner/staff do not like.
Chicken Soup is a good food.

However, I noticed that their website is not very up to date as far as retail stores to purchase it. There are many stores listed near me, so I called around & many no longer carry it!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

No I didn't ask why.. i guess I should have.
We all have those "duh" moments on the phone, or at least I know I do. I forget the most obvious stuff.

Look in a phone book or use a search engine yellow pages, and look up "farm supply store" "livestock supply store" for your area. That should give you some results. Write down the numbers, then call.
simple as that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After hearing from that one store that Chicken Soup isn't good for pets... it makes me worry
Maybe it really isn't good for pets... But I would take the opinion of TCS over a pet store any day... you guys have alot more experience
I think because on here I can get dozens of opinions, and well at the petstore I only get 1 opinion.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken Soup doesn't contain any by-products, no wheat gluten, no corn, how can they say it's not good for pets? did they read the label???
I feed it and have beeb very very very happy with it, both the actual product and the price, my cats all like it too, and their fur is gorgeous, very soft and shiny
I am the unofficial TCS spokesperson for Chicken Soup BTW

if pet stores didn't stock food that wasn't good for pets, then nobody would carry cat chow, friskies, meow mix, 9 lives, etc etc

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Chicken Soup doesn't contain any by-products, no wheat gluten, no corn, how can they say it's not good for pets? did they read the label???
I feed it and have beeb very very very happy with it, both the actual product and the price, my cats all like it too, and their fur is gorgeous, very soft and shiny

if pet stores didn't stock food that wasn't good for pets, then nobody would carry cat chow, friskies, meow mix, 9 lives, etc etc
Your guess is as good as mine

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I went to one local store, looking for Solid Gold in cans. They had the dry in stock, but they told me that most of the canned cat foods available "are crap". (exact words)
Gimme a break. Ironically enough, related to the topic here - the ONLY canned food they had in stock was Chicken Soup!! Go figure.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would think pet stores, etc would carry all brands of food - no matter what their personal opinion was... a sale is a sale. And if someone is looking for a particular brand- then they are going to take their money and regular sales to a different pet store that actually carries it!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You would think pet stores, etc would carry all brands of food - no matter what their personal opinion was... a sale is a sale. And if someone is looking for a particular brand- then they are going to take their money and regular sales to a different pet store that actually carries it!
I have a store that only sells some of the foods in the Whole dog journal , they think that mag is the answer to all , and they dropped three very good foods and lost many loyal customers cause they wont carry anything not A rated by a mag??... Well I can only use two of the cans they sell cause they sell stuff my girls cant or wont eat ... IMHO is just that.. I think for you chicken soup is agreat food as it wont break your $$ and is FAR FAR BETTER quality than the current food

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some stores sell only holisitc foods. The local tiny pet store only carries food he thinks is good or he likes. Another one carries whatever sells 10 bags/cans or more a week(that means all Science Diet).

Check out www.waggintails.com I ordered from them. With all the recall issues going on, they pulled sales of some foods(like Tiki Cat) until the food met Waggin Tail's standards.

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

The very first place I call... I asked them if they carry it.... because I got their number off the chicken soup distributor list... anyways they are like

"No, the chicken soup is not good for pets, so we don't carry that!"
ok, just a thought..... perhaps they don't carry it and the person thoght you meant chicken "SOUP". I mean seriously, if you haven't heard of it and someone calls in and asked "do you have chicken soup for cats?" I'd be like ummm....noooooooo. lol I guess if they had asked "Do you have the brand of cat food called 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' I would have just said "no, we don't carry that."

I think we talk about this stuff so much all the time here, that we ASSume people know what we are talking about. Just a thought!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by techiegirl

ok, just a thought..... perhaps they don't carry it and the person thoght you meant chicken "SOUP". I mean seriously, if you haven't heard of it and someone calls in and asked "do you have chicken soup for cats?" I'd be like ummm....noooooooo. lol I guess if they had asked "Do you have the brand of cat food called 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' I would have just said "no, we don't carry that."

I think we talk about this stuff so much all the time here, that we ASSume people know what we are talking about. Just a thought!
LOL I guess I never thought of that before
But it showed on the Chicken Soup site that their store carries it, that means at least they probably USED to sell it... even if they don't sell it anymore- I would think they would know what I meant?

If I recall I said "I was wondering if you carry a certain brand of cat food -it's the Chicken Soup for cats...?" LOL I guess I didn't specifically say the brand
oops!

After work today I am going to still look around to find someone that carries this

Thank you everyone, for all your help
I couldn't have done this without TCS!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found Chicken Soup's website not very accurate for who actually carries the food. I called every store on their list within a 50 mile radius of my house and non of them carry it any more. And on that is on the list hasn't carried it in well over a year.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily, I pretty much live in Phoenix so there are several options for me. I finally did find a store that carries it... It's only like 10 minutes from my work, like 30-35 minutes from home...So I'm going there this weekend
It's at a horse tackle cat food selling ranch kind of a place... LOL! But hey, they got it!But I forgot to ask how much it is
on the phone!!!

Hmmm now I wonder if I should get wet and dry food? or just dry as usual?

GOSH i'm sorry I have so many questions!!!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hmmm now I wonder if I should get wet and dry food? or just dry as usual?

GOSH i'm sorry I have so many questions!!!
I know some of their canned food was recalled, but I don't see anything on the web site anymore, and I don't remember which ones.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

i 2nd her opinion - this is the food i feed my 4. Cable's been eating nothing but this [dry] since kittenhood. she didn't even get kitten food, because i had 2 adult cats in the same house, one of which was overweight & ate everything in sight!. i use both the dry & the wet. you can order it online here if you can't find it locally.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, the chicken soup website isn't very current. we went to visit family, and one of the stores listed nearby isn't there anymore. they went out of business (the last time i was at that store was october 2006). and it's been quite a while since they closed according to my MIL. i only paid attention because that store used to carry one of raven's favorite toys.