Your name...do you like it?

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you like the name your parents gave you? Would you or have you changed it?

My mom and dad only had boys names picked out - they honestly never considered that they would have a 2nd girl, therefore didn't have a girls name picked out. I was supposed to be Matthew. I didn't have a name for days. Finally they decided on "Adrienne" after Adrienne Clarkson - at the time a Canadian journalist most recently Canadian Governor General. I was never fond of my name - I preferred my nickname "Ady", especially after the Rocky movies came out (Yo Adrienne). When I was about 5 I built up a whole fantasy how my real parents were Greek Shipping Tycoons and that I had been kidnapped and my current parents found me in a garbage can. My real name was Alexandra. Every time I got in trouble I told my mom she wasn't my real mom and that my real mom would find me and love me and not punish me.

Now I've grown into the name, but I still hate the Rocky reference.

What about you.

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I HATE MY NAME!!!!!! Either way I was going to be a Tyler....Atleast I got Nicole for a middle name...I went through an identity crisis in 5th grade and refused to have anyone call me Tyler and went by my middle name but that didnt work cuz I wasnt used to it and wouldnt answer..Now some people call me Tyler Nicole or have some other odd nickname for me....Im still waiting for someone to think of one that actually sticks with me...Besides Erma Butt which my mom so lovingly calls me to this day...

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Rocky refferances must get annoying!

I like my name but hate the nick name. I'm meaghan and when I was little my family called me Meggy and I hated it... still do! What's funny is that my parents were considering nameing me Abbigail (a name I've always LOVED!) but decided against it becuse my dad didn't like the nick name Abby.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate the name Natalie. My entire family calls me "Nat Brat". It pisses me off to no end. I seriously have considered legally changing my name!! I was going to be Arielle, but had a distant(like 3rd) cousin born days before me that got named that.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is Tiffany, my middle name is Rose. I think it sounds good together Tiffany Rose. When I was younger I hated the name, but it's ok now. My family calls me TR which I hate. I kind of wish it was spelled Tiffani though

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I hate the name Natalie. My entire family calls me "Nat Brat". It pisses me off to no end. I seriously have considered legally changing my name!! I was going to be Arielle, but had a distant(like 3rd) cousin born days before me that got named that.
Aaaah, I like the name Natalie..I do get Nat the Brat alot too..BUT I think its a nice name that is not too weird and not too common

I was going to be Veronica!!
My mom stomped on that idea

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first name is Sara. I'm fairly ambivalent about it, although when I was younger I used to resent my parents for not naming me "Sarah" and affording me the opportunity to have lots of crap with my name on it (nowadays the name "Sara" is much more common than it was twenty-plus years ago).

My middle name is Louise. I don't really like it (it sounds too nasal to me, and I hate, hate, hate the nickname Wheezy), but it's my mother's middle name, my grandmother's middle name, and my great-grandmother's middle name, so I'll probably pass it on to my own daughter. My sister likes the name Louise, however, so maybe I'll let her have it for her own kids ...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my name is boring and plain, Amber, and unfortunately the name was rather popular at the time. At school there was always 2 or 3 other Ambers
My mother did want to call me Amanda Lynn, thankfully she didn't, Amanda was even more common.

I really don't hate the name, at least it's difficult to make nick names out of and kids didn't tease me for it in grade school.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brandi is ok for a name. If people could spell it right. The y or ie irritates me. My nickname is Bratty from my dad. Or Bran from everyone else. The Brandywine bothers me too.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like my name at all... well, mostly just how it's spelled. If I had been a boy, my name would have been Terry Wayne Jr., which I would have despised I'm sure.
My mother wanted to name me Tiffny Marie... not Tiffany, Tiffny. She's into weird spellings. My older sister ended up getting to name me, so she named me Britni Nikol... my mother picked the spelling of course. Very few people have ever been able to spell my name correctly, even my grandmothers and other family members can't spell it. Other than my parents... John can spell it and a few of my best friends can, but that's about it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my days
My name is Mackenzie... and I get tired of spelling it out for everyone all the time
But I always get compliments on it, but I suppose people would think differently if THEY had my name!

I don't know what I'd change it to if I could, but I never will- one of my co-workers sons' name is Mackenzie - its actually a male name.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh when what seems like 60% of the female population is named "Jennifer" or "Jennie/y/i/ey" like gets annoying. I walk into any store and if someone calls out "Jen" 5 heads turn.

I've always been in class where there are at least 3 Jennifers (except my Masters-THANK GOD).

Then when Forrest Gump came out, I had so many people doing the one liners from that movie that at first it was funny...then it got old. Especially if someone does it now. :rollseyes:

Anyways, my middle name is Elizabeth and even tried to go by that in college...but somehow "Jenney" stuck. Oh well. The only other thing I can hope for is witness protection program.

I'm avoiding the top 10 list of baby names when I have kids.

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I HATE MY NAME! My real name is Jessica, but I really don't like it. I've actually never liked it, even as a small child. From a young age, I was called Jessi, then it adopted the spelling Jessie, then Jesse. (Same pronunciation but different spelling)

Not to mention, throughout school, I ALWAYS had at least one other Jessica in the class. At one time, we had 4 Jessicas in the same class. It got really annoying, really fast. My kids will have uncommon names.

In college I adopted the name Taylor (a name that my mom wanted to name me but my grandmother wanted the name Jessica.) I've also been called Blaine in the past.

I plan on changing my name to Jay. I'm in the process of switching over to using it in school and everyday use. I having picked out a middle name yet but I'm working on it. I don't hate my middle name but I don't like it. Lauren. Far to feminine for me.

So far, my new name stands at Jay Denham. Jay Clarke once I get married. I still need a middle name though.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name isn't half bad except for the fact that nobody belives my full name isn't Abigail. "It's Abby," I tell them. "Just plain Abby!" But they don't believe me.

My middle name is far worse - Sue. My mom's name is Sue, though, so I'm probably going to end up naming one of my kids ____ Sue too... darn tradition.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually like my name
my full name is Kathleen, which isn't as common as Katherine
I go by Katie, but my family now calls me Kate almost exclusively, guess its kinda that growing up, losing the "e" thing
I HATE it when people assume my name is Kathy though
I intensely dislike that name for some reason, I'd rather be called Kathleen

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to hate my name when I was younger but I like it now. The only problem I have with it is people always spell it wrong.
Its spelled Rachel and people always spell it Rachael...which I don't mind sometimes but It really gets on my nerves when its written right in front of them and they still spell it the other way.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to be Diane. My Dad especially loved that name -- I guess I wouldn't have minded it. But a few hours after I was born, I made some face or other while Dad was looking, and he said to Mum, "Not Diane -- Frances -- look, it's Frank." Frank was my Mum's much loved brother, who died the year before I was born.

Frances is OK, too. I'm not madly in love with it, but it means a lot, so I'd never in a million years change it. It irks me when people spell it "Francis", since that's the masculine spelling. It also irks me when they read "Frances" off some formal document and address me that way without asking what I want to be called. I go by "Fran", and only a very few people get away with any other form, including "Frances", all of which are to one degree or another intimacies allowed to close friends or family.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Ah No !!! I hate it, I have spend most of my life trying to figure out why on earth someone would name a itty bitty baby Lois, Like your mother
I'm named after my mom. Barb...it's not my favorite name, but it's not horrible. For some reason I grew up being called Susie, and most of my relatives still call me that. My full name is Barbara Ann, and yes...I like that song!

I think I'm more of a Susie than a Barb though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

I'm named after my mom. Barb...it's not my favorite name, but it's not horrible. For some reason I grew up being called Susie, and most of my relatives still call me that. My full name is Barbara Ann, and yes...I like that song!

I think I'm more of a Susie than a Barb though.
My Opa called me Susie. He had a special name for all of his grandkids. There was Susie, Chrystal(Lisa), Hansi(Eric), Zeppi(Brendan), Gretel(Ashley), and Fritzi(Patrick). Can you tell German wss his 1st language (he was Austrian).