TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › I can't decide weather to call the vet today or wait until Monday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I can't decide weather to call the vet today or wait until Monday

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Jordan is back to not eating properly. It's even to the point that he won't eat his entire plate of wet food. I'm leaning towards waiting until Monday because last time I called he started eating again that night. Don't get me wrong it's not that hes not eating anything. It's just that he's not eating with his normal vigor. I just want so badly for things to go back to normal, to not have to worry about him at every moment.
post #2 of 21
I am so sorry about your baby, it's so hard to see our babies when they aren't their old selves...Do you feel comfortable with waiting till Monday?
Many prayers for your sweet boy
post #3 of 21
You risk him not eating well tomorrow or Sunday though. If your vet does emergency calls or you're willing to force feed if necessary if he goes off food this weekend, then maybe wait?
I don't see how a call now and a chat with the vet would hurt.
post #4 of 21
I know there is the possibility of him starting to eat tonight, but honestly, I'd call today. It can be tough to get ahold of a vet on a weekend.
post #5 of 21
I would probably call today. If you're anything like me, you'll just spend the whole weekend worrying if you don't.
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
I would probably call today. If you're anything like me, you'll just spend the whole weekend worrying if you don't.
I can only agree with this thought! Better safe than sorry. Especially if Jordan starts to eat even less, etc. Not only for your peace of mind, but for your cat's health, you should probably call and/or see your vet today - or tomorrow if you can't get in until then.
post #7 of 21
Yeah, on Friday my sensitivity to kitty issues goes way up - from the paranoia of a long wait over the weekend. I would call.
post #8 of 21
How long has it been since he stopped eating normally? Has he been having regular BMs? If I was in your situation (which I was), I would call the vet. However, when I called my vet in a similar situation, he advised me to wait it out since she was still eating SOMETHING (just not as much as she should've been). By the end of that same night, I ended up taking Bailey to the emergency vet because I couldn't stand it anymore.

So yeah, I'd give your vet a call. It can't hurt to at least talk to him on the phone and get his opinion/advice. And since I know that you ARE like me when it comes to your baby, it's going to eat at you if you don't call and his eating habits don't return to normal.

Also, you might want to pick up some different flavors of meat baby food (make sure the ingredients are JUST meat, NO garlic, NO onion, NO salt), just in case his appetite decreases even more. I think baby food could've saved Bailey's life, so it's a good thing to have on hand. Even mixing it with her regular canned food seems to make it more appetizing when she's being finicky.

Please keep us updated!!!
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
I decided to call, but of coarse the vet I've been working with is off today. So they are going to have another vet give me a call.
He has been having regular BM's 1 a day. I don't know if I'm being over paranoid, or if it's something to worry about. The other thing I realized this morning was that he's been coughing more than normal. He's got a touch of asthma & when I thought back over the last couple of weeks he's coughed at least every other day and for him once a month is normal. My poor baby, he's got megacolon, asthma & feline herpes. I guess when I think about it I should be amazed he eats at all.

EDIT: I should add this started on Tuesday. He only ate 1/2 his dry food that morning. Then Wednesday he ate most of his dry food, but left a spoon full of his dry food, then same thing yesterday and this morning he wouldn't touch his dry food, so of coarse I gave in and gave him wet food, but he didn't eat much of that either.
post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
Still waiting to hear from the vet so I'm sure we aren't going to get in today. I am planning on trying 1/4 of a pepcid pill tonight to see if that helps, but it's been so long since I've had to do that I forget how long before he eats should I give it to him?
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27 View Post
Still waiting to hear from the vet so I'm sure we aren't going to get in today. I am planning on trying 1/4 of a pepcid pill tonight to see if that helps, but it's been so long since I've had to do that I forget how long before he eats should I give it to him?
I think it's 30min before.
post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thanks. On a personal note, I just know I'm going to have an ulcer by the time I figure out what's wrong with him.
post #13 of 21
I just checked the package of famotidine (Pepcid) that I give Palekana. It's one hour before eating if you're using it to prevent stomach upset. I'm sure 30 minutes would be OK, though.

What are you giving him for the asthma? If he's reacting to something and coughing more it may affect his appetite. You might want to ask the vet if you can increase his medication for a day or two in order to stop the coughing.

Good luck and positive thoughts to you and Jordan.
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Wel, I can't believe it but the vet never called today. I'm guessing that becuase I didn't leave a voice mail and the receptionist girl was supposed to give them a message she forgot? I don't know, but now that I'm home with him I'm less worried. He has been playing all evening. Either Levi or Jordan had loose stool today (I know it wasn't Maggie or Isaac because they both had BM's after I was home). So maybe it was him and his tummy was upset and that's why he didn't want to eat today. I guess I'll find out tonight. I did stop and buy some chicken baby food just incase. Last time he had a URI I had to force feed him 2x a day for 5 days and as someone else pointed out baby food works well for that.
Jean, he's actually never been on meds for the asthma. He's never had a bad enough attack to take him. I had one vet tell me he probably had a touch of asthma because he was coughing all the time when I was using Glade Plug-ins. Then when I took them out he stopped coughing.
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27 View Post
I had one vet tell me he probably had a touch of asthma because he was coughing all the time when I was using Glade Plug-ins. Then when I took them out he stopped coughing.
Poor kitty, those things are icky. DH (has asthma) and I can't be around them without coughing either.

Do you know if he might have slight allergies? Tomas was coughing awhile back and the vet gave me some antihistamine pills for him, they helped and I still have some left. It's a low dose so whenever I notice his eyes are a bit watery I give him a pill. His watery eyes and sniffles seems to coincide exactly to the days DH and I have allergies affecting us the worst.
post #16 of 21
Any updates? How has Jordan been doing over the weekend?
post #17 of 21
Thread Starter 
Friday I gave him some Pepcid before dinner and he ate like normal, but it's hard to say if it was the Pepcid or not because Saturday night he ate great too, but then last night he didn't want to eat. This morning he only ate about 1/2 of his dry food, and I didn't give in and add wet food because I need to see if he's just trying to get more wet food or not. I don't know if I should call the vets office again or not. I don't want to take him to just any office in the area, but I also feel like it's hard to take him somewhere new when they already know what's been going on with him.
post #18 of 21
Thread Starter 
Ok, so the vet called me back this afternoon. I think that there was a communication problem between me & the receptionist last week. He now feels we need to do somthing else for Jordan. To begin with I'm supposed to take a fecal sample in because I don't know that Jordan has ever had one done, I've always done Levi because his are easier to get. If that comes back clean, I believe he is going to do a CBC. I thought he did one but apparently not. He may also do a chest x-ray becuase his coughing has increased & check for heart worm. An ultrasound is also a possibility. If all these tests come back OK, then he wants to try a low allergen food to see if that helps him.
So here is the list of possibilities that I now plan to research
1. Lung worm (Dont know what this has to do with not eating and constipation. I think this is more about the coughing)
2. Food alergy
3. Pancriatitis (SP?)
4. Heart worm
5. Heart failure
6. And of coarse cancer is still a concern.
I do feel better at least knowing that we are going to do something for him.
At this point I'm praying for food allergy, it would be a pain in the tush, but it's better than the alternatives.
post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 
You know I swear he heard me say he might be going back to the vet becuase Jordan ate ALL of his food last night, licked the plate clean. Then ate almost all of his breakfast.
The truth is I didn't put fiber in his food last night, so I'm wondering if it's the fiber he doesn't like?
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27 View Post
You know I swear he heard me say he might be going back to the vet becuase Jordan ate ALL of his food last night, licked the plate clean. Then ate almost all of his breakfast.
The truth is I didn't put fiber in his food last night, so I'm wondering if it's the fiber he doesn't like?
I'd say that is very likely. These little beasts are very sly...I could put something odorless, tasteless, and INVISIBLE in Beandip's food and he would sooner starve than eat it.
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
I'd say that is very likely. These little beasts are very sly...I could put something odorless, tasteless, and INVISIBLE in Beandip's food and he would sooner starve than eat it.
I second that. If I even put the TINIEST bit of pumpkin in Bailey's food, it takes a lot of coaxing for me to get her to eat it, and then she'll only eat about half of it. Now instead of putting the pumpkin in her food, I mix it with a little bit of baby food and she eats it with no problem.

I'm glad that your vet is working with you to find out what's going on. I know how frustrating it is to constantly be wondering what's wrong.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › I can't decide weather to call the vet today or wait until Monday