Cat STILL biting

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My neutered male Sphynx has just had his first birthday, and is STILL biting
. I have corrected him by hissing in his face but it doesn't stop him at all. It doesn't really hurt when he bites, although he has teeth like needles, but it is really annoying. Also, he is constantly going up to our Frenchie and trying to bite her. She is so patient, but as a result of his always biting she is very wary of him. PLEASE, anyone have any advice or tips. Other than biting he is the most darling boy.. SO full of personality and cuteness!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! You named him Gollum?!
(sorry, I shouldn't find that as funny as I do at the moment)

Sounds like he's big kitty of the house, dominate. Have you tried some of the other methods listed in various posts on here? Since he doesn't respond to the hiss he likely knows you're all bluff and wrapped around his paws.

There's been several post just these last few days with great ideas. Have you tried ignoring him too? If he's in your lap, biting while you pet him put him down and refuse to even look at him for a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Oh! You named him Gollum?!
(sorry, I shouldn't find that as funny as I do at the moment)
Ya, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised at his behaviour
. I have to say though, that he is now called Molly... (long story) so no wonder he has issues

I will definitely try to ignore him when he is sitting on my lap and biting me ~ he is just so darned hard to ignore.. he is SO cute and persuasive!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have access to anything like Bitter Apple Spray?

What about distracting him whenever he tries to bite?

I guess, IMO, another cat would be a good idea. That is, provided you can afford one, have one where you live, & want one.

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Do you have access to anything like Bitter Apple Spray?

What about distracting him whenever he tries to bite?

I guess, IMO, another cat would be a good idea. That is, provided you can afford one, have one where you live, & want one.
I will definitely look into bitter apple spray.. thanks for the tip
. Not sure if it is available here, but I won't say anything negative until I have had a good look around!!

I had actually thought of getting a 'sister' for Molly. I would like another Sphynx and would have to ask his breeder when there would be another one available ~ there is quite a long waiting list for them. Oh my, the thought of 2 of them together is quite scary

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Have you tried biting him back????
You may laugh when you read that, but it does work. I had a Siamese who would bite, and we tried everything to get him to stop but to no avail. So, one day when he bit my hand, I decided to hiss at him and bite his paw (lightly - more to scare him than anything). It worked and he didn't bite me again.

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

You may laugh when you read that, but it does work. I had a Siamese who would bite, and we tried everything to get him to stop but to no avail. So, one day when he bit my hand, I decided to hiss at him and bite his paw (lightly - more to scare him than anything). It worked and he didn't bite me again.
LOL, that sounds pretty funny! I would have to bite ever so lightly, as my little boy has no hair to protect him
Awww, he looks so peaceful and innocent right now sleeping on my bed ~ butter wouldn't melt in his mouth! I will be giving all of the above a try.. one way or another my little
boy is going to get the message!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sphynx

I had actually thought of getting a 'sister' for Molly. I would like another Sphynx and would have to ask his breeder when there would be another one available ~ there is quite a long waiting list for them.
Unless you have problems with fur, you could always adopt a furry cat. If you're worried about your sphynx getting scratched or hurt... just remember, his teeth are certainly in working order.

You could always get on the waiting list in the meantime. More cats the merrier, after all.

feral65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh my, i love this forum! i haven't laughed so hard in a long time, seriously! the posts about biting your cat back is sooooo funny! I did it quite by accident. I have a male who bit me one too many times and the last time it downright hurt, so without even really thinking, i reacted, grabbed his paw, and bit him back! (not hard). it really did freak him out though and he never did it again! honestly though, there's got to be a better way. i really don't recommend biting your cat.... :-) sammy is probably right and it's a "dominance" thing. the cat needs to know you're in charge, and there's got to be better ways of doing it.