What kind of cat/

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just bought a 7 week kitten at the pet store,so cute. Im trying to figure out if its a tabby or? It looks like a russian blue with 2 small orange spots around the eye,If I could figure out how to put a pic up I would?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a blue cream to me if its blue with "orange" spots. Post a picture and we'll tell you what color it is.

BTW WHY did you buy a kitten from the pet shop? They get their dogs/cats from puppy/kitten mills. And 7 weeks is far too soon to be taken away from mom - if from a kitten mill, the kitten was taken from mom even younger.

I do hope you don't have a lot of behavior/social problems or health problems getting your kitten from a pet shop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What the heck is a mill? And how in the heck do ypu post a pic on here,cant seem to get it to work?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A puppy/kitten mill is a commercial "breeder" who breeds the animals to death (on every heat cycle). The animals have minimul care - no shots, poor food, no socialization. All they do is breed them to make money. The resulting puppys and kittens usually have poor social skills (as they are taken from mom at about 4-5 weeks old and shipped to pet shops across country.

They also have poor health because the mills don't give them any care. They breed the females to death as its a high mortality rate with litters. The "lucky" ones make it alive to the pet shop; where they are put in tiny cages waiting for people who really don't know to come and buy them.

Pet shops are one of the worse places to get any kind of pet!

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread contains instructions for all TCS newbies. One of them is how to post pictures which you would post in the sub forum "fur pictures only". I am not very computer literate but I learned.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82565

A kitten mill is like a puppy mill. Unfortunately I have placed a half dozen former breeding cats from a mill near where I live. These cats live in 2 foot by 3 foot cages and are just bred to produce as many litters of kittens as possible.
Because of the unsanitary conditions and not paying attention to appropriate genetic lines kittens from such places are often ill. All of the cats I rescued have genetic problems.

Now to clearify purchase vs adopt. A great deal of "petstores" which are really pet supply stores no longer sell mill animals. Instead they have associations with local animal rescues, humane societies, and shelters. PetsMart and Petco often have adoption animals. A person still pays and adoption fee.

Most people who are not familiar with animal rescue don't know this difference and may speak about adopting as purchasing a pet, because they did pay for the animal.

Ok have I thoroughly confused you now?

ETA: LOL GK45 I take too long to type. Your excellent explanation wasn't there when I started

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well she loves people,seems real happy, and has had her 1st shots and lieukiema shots,this pet store has been around about 20 years.

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
seems like a long process to post a pic,geeeez. Any1 with an email I can send a pic of her and you can help me would be nice,thx

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just as an FYI, there are a fair number of pet stores in my area who taken in kittens from people who had "oops" litters. The kittens are then "sold" with a health visit and other goodies. In my mind, this is not as bad as a kitten mill, since the people who's cat got pregnant aren't paid for the kittens, and the kittens find homes and get a free vet visit (sometimes spaying and neutering is also included in the cost I think--we haven't "bought" one since our childhood cat was a kitten 14+ years ago, and my cats have been adopted or found). While adopting from a shelter is best, this is better than supporting kitten mills.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rajah was purchased from a mall pet store, i think she was from an "oops" litter - i can't imagine that there would be much money to be made from breeding "mutts". I beleive that her early exposure to so many people who must have handled her at the pet store is responsible for her extremely friendly disposition. She was the best $60 i ever spent, and has never had unusual health or behavioral issues. I tried to adopt at a shelter, but their rules were so restrictive that they wouldn't let us adopt because we were renters, even though i had cleared it with my landlord. And i was literally unable to find anyone giving kittens away or anything like that, it must have been strange seasonal timing or something. This was the only pet store in town that had kittens, and she was the only one left - i'm convinced that it was fate.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Pet shops are one of the worse places to get any kind of pet!
Thank you for saying this! I'm glad someone else realizes this.

Though I admit to buying a baby leopard gecko from Petco last December.
The poor thing was starving and at the glass begging for food.

I've seen several pet stores that seem to have "oops" litters, usually older kittens, luckily. Tiny ones are upsetting to see with no mother. I do know the one the next town over takes these and vets them, since there's no animal shelter in the area, they try to help a little.

To the OP, go on any search engine and search for information on puppy and cat mills. The descriptions given by other posters are correct, but I think you should try to find some pictures of the conditions these animals are kept in.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Places like Petco or Petsmart where they bring in the shelter/rescue groups for adoptions are fine. Love when they have the Greyhound rescues there - would take them all home

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also have been rejected by a shelter to adopt a cat, due to me being a renter and my young age at the time.

I ended up buying my cat at a pet store, she is a maine coon and mutt mix.
She grew up to be super fluffy and big. Best $50 I ever spent.

Kitten mills are awful, but if shelters were more open minded, I think a lot more animals would find good homes.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Agree with you, Shelters shouldnt say no, to an owner just cause he/she is renting, thats messed up. Maybe they should ask for the landlords num but to deline is bad.

Ihave seen kittens at petstores. They are cute but I'd never buy one from them. Though my BIndi was from an Oops litter, My dads girlfriend, whom he has broken up with, found a stray preg cat, long story short she had six kits, four black and white, one gray and one black. I took the black one home and named him Bindi. I was at her house when the Kits were 5 weeks, It was a wonderful experence let me tell you. A few weeks later I took Bindi home.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Racn1320

Just bought a 7 week kitten at the pet store,so cute. Im trying to figure out if its a tabby or? It looks like a russian blue with 2 small orange spots around the eye,If I could figure out how to put a pic up I would?
Here's a picture of the little cutie..

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sweet that for posting misty,she is really cool,and loving,she sleeps with me every night,im just afraid of sleeping im might roll on top of her,so i try and stay in 1 spot only,she is so small,i tried to take her downstairs las night and put her on the couch and shut my door,when i walked up the stairs she looked so sad and within 2 min she was crying so i had to let her back in.

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whats a dilute torti?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Racn1320

Whats a dilute torti?
Awww she is a little beauty! It sounds like she loves you
What is her name?

Here are some example of dilute torties (tortie is short for tortoiseshell - it is a word that describes the coloring)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_cat (scroll down about 2/3 of the page)

http://www.petcaretips.net/cat_colors.html (scroll about 1/2 way down)

Here is a TCS thread (older) on dilute torties:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58093

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just got her but thinking of Bristol for the name