bird house

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like to paint bird houses and hang them outside, I can't hang them my dad has to so I only have one hanging up since he has not had the time to put up my other two finished ones (which is weird since one was finished Christmas and the other a few months before that). The one that is up has residents, some sparrows. I went out to put out the cat's hair for birds to build nests and I noticed the bottom is starting to fall off. Through the piece peeling off I can see there is a nest and I would be devastated if it fell off and babies or eggs were in it and died. Is there anything I can do to stop the process or the bottom coming loose without taking down the house (in case there are eggs in it already)? Also how can I prevent this from happening to the other houses?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the safest thing to do, so you won't disturb the eggs any more than you really have to, would be to carefully wrap duct tape all the way around the birdhouse from bottom to top, overlapping the tape at the top by at least a couple of inches for security. I'd do that near the front edge and near the back as well.

When the bird family moves away, you can take the house down and reconstruct it more securely -- and I'm sure the duct tape will ruin your paint, too, so you'll have to repaint as well.

You're so nice to do these things for the birds! Can you show us pictures of your birdhouses? We'd love to see!

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I think the safest thing to do, so you won't disturb the eggs any more than you really have to, would be to carefully wrap duct tape all the way around the birdhouse from bottom to top, overlapping the tape at the top by at least a couple of inches for security. I'd do that near the front edge and near the back as well.
DUCT TAPE!!
That is exactly what I was thinking when I was reading it!! Duct tape will fix ANYTHING!! HAHA

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
That's cool. I noticed when we moved in, a house down the street has about 3 or 4 different birdhouses on a little shelf at their front door. I dont think they are used but more for an interesting decoration

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I would love to see some pictures if you have any. Once we have our yard finished I want to put up bird houses and bird feeders. I agree duct tape would be the way to go now because you don't want to disturb the family more than you need to. After they move out, maybe you can reinforce the bottom with strips of wood going crossways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THANKS CAROL! I can't believe I didn't think of Duct tape

I'll put pics up later today if I can find the camera
The houses are nothing spectacular, my Christmas one is pretty cool though, even though it looks out of place in the middle of the summer. I'll just put it in the holly tree an it will fit right in. But yeah I'll get you some pictures of the house with the mom or dad poking out. I should name them...