still "lusty" neutered male cat

janemargo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 4 year old male who very vigorously and loudly mates with my slippers, stuffed animals, etc. DAILY. He was adopted feral as a kitten, fixed at 6 months, and is a very healthy active tuxedo. His brother who we also adopted does this sometimes. Is this normal?? He is also very skinny. We named him Romeo. I've never had a cat do this so much.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is pretty normal. Sometimes kittens taken away from mom too early will have funny issues, and sometimes kittens neutered late like 6 months (after they matured sexually) will have problems such as this one. I don't know, as long as he isn't hurting himself or anyone else, and he IS neutered so I don't think you need to worry.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I didn't know that about male cats being neutered after they have sexually matured. Wow, I'm so lucky then! My cat, Loki, was neutered at 2, after he was turned into the Humane Society. He's a little b----y sometimes, but not, umm, "lusty".

Tricia

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellington started doing this after we lost his brother, it was as if it was part of reassurance behaviour. I don't mind except when he has a go at my leg when I am lying in bed!

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought it was a domination thing.

Snickers was neutered when he was a kitten and the only times he's done the humpty-hump was back when Dusty wasn't fixed. (the only 2 cats in the household waaaaaaay back then)

She would go into heat, and even tho Snickers was neutered... he'd still grab her, mount her, and have a go at it. He was hovering like 4 inches above her and didn't really do anything of substance, but it apparently made him 'feel powerful'.

Dusty liked it so we never stopped him.

He gave up eventually, guess he didn't want to dominate the lil gal anymore!

feral65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by janemargo

We have a 4 year old male who very vigorously and loudly mates with my slippers, stuffed animals, etc. DAILY. He was adopted feral as a kitten, fixed at 6 months, and is a very healthy active tuxedo. His brother who we also adopted does this sometimes. Is this normal?? He is also very skinny. We named him Romeo. I've never had a cat do this so much.
It used to be that the recommended age for nuetering a cat was 6 months. Now, it seems it's down to as young as 7 weeks. Since your cat was feral, he likely learned some behaviors much earlier than a "sheltered" kitten would. This includes spraying and the sole mission of finding a mate. Male cats in the wild mature sexually very quickly. I too have feral cats I adopted at about 6-8 months old. Although I immediately had them neutered, they were already "fully mature" and so the "spraying" continued for quite a while, even after being nuetered. Over time they settled down more, but one I have is still "in love" with a white kitty stuffed animal I have. It's funny, because he's white and the stuffed animal is a white kitty too, and is almost as big as he is. He carries it around in his mouth, and just won't let it be. All he does with it though is "knead" it. It's really weird, but he likes it so much I just let him have his way, despite the fact it was one of my favorite stuffed animals. :-)

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmmm Humphrey loves a rug in the lounge that he likes to knead first then if he gets half a chance get "lusty" with the rug!!!! Can be quite embarrasing if we have visitors!!!!!
He was neutered at 5 months old, now he just over a year old.

Claire

xxxxxxxxxxx

feral65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I don't have any helpful advice. Just wanted to say I love the euphemisms
"euphemisms"? what euphemisms? :-)

baelfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
its when you use other words to describe something to paint it in a better light. (example: death = passed away) sorry i had to use such a morbid example T___T but we just went over them in sociology and its the only one that comes to mind.

feral65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by baelfire

its when you use other words to describe something to paint it in a better light. (example: death = passed away) sorry i had to use such a morbid example T___T but we just went over them in sociology and its the only one that comes to mind.
there is no euphemism or irony in the previous posts. it is what it is. fire your professor and think for yourself.......

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by feral65

there is no euphemism or irony in the previous posts. it is what it is. fire your professor and think for yourself.......
I was referring to the euphemisms to humping, etc. What are you talking about?

baelfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i misunderstood your post and thought you were asking what a euphemism is. I'm sorry but if you actually read my post i didn't say anybody used any euphemisms. I just explained what a euphemism is and gave an example of one. So please don't attack me for my misunderstanding.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by feral65

getting lusty or doing the humpty-hump are all euphemisms for cats imitating mating type behaviors with non living objects . Or them imitating dominance behavior with non living objects.

I have yet (knock on wood) to have any of these issues with Ping before his neuter or afterwards.

feral65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i'm sorry, i have a really "dry" sense of humor and it doesn't always come across right in an e-mail. i agree there's some pretty funny euphemisms. just the fact that cat is named "romeo" cracks me up! my boy, before discovering and molesting my favorite stuffed animal, was totally in love with a particularly fluffly blanket on my bed. that would have been fine, except i was under the blanket a lot of the time. therefore, i'm kind of glad he "dumped" the blanket for an affair with my stuffed animal instead. i sleep better now.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiger has been know to get a bit "passionate" with a couple of my blankets

As my friend's dad said once "Just because you're fixed, doesn't mean you don't want it every once in awhile"
He of course, had a vasectomy

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem...I've woke up the last couple of mornings to Megabyte humping my leg!! He's been fixed since he was around five months and he is a year now.

I can't lay on the couch or anything without him coming up to me and trying to do that!

Silly cat.