My Cat Stalks Me When I Have My Coffee...WHAT THE?

catsitterbea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it just my kitty or do your cats react to the smell of coffee like catnip. I spilled some on the carpet by accident one day and he took one wiff and he was all over it like catnip. Now when I drink it, he comes after me crying for some. So I sprinkle some on his blanket and he goes nuts. I don't get it. Can anyone tell me something about this? Thanks gang!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that's a new one to me!! but hey, if all our kitties were the same, what fun would that be
I don't think it will hurt him at all, so if he likes it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsitterbea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right? I thought the same thing. I'm trying to find out if it's toxic. Haven't found anything yet. I won't let him drink it or anything but it's just so silly watching him lay all over the drops on his blanket and react like it was catnip. So funny.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatSitterBea

Right? I thought the same thing. I'm trying to find out if it's toxic. Haven't found anything yet. I won't let him drink it or anything but it's just so silly watching him lay all over the drops on his blanket and react like it was catnip. So funny.
just don't ever take him to starbucks, that would be a disaster!!

kittylovejoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's an interesting link lnbandcats. Had no idea onions would be on there! I caught my cat eating some chopped ones before (
)... I'll make sure he stays away from them now!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Fred loved the smell of coffee, but never actually consumed any. He would stick his little head over the coffe cannister and take deep breaths. It was so cute.

saturdaysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats always loved the smell of mint or menthol. Not more than once did I discover the two chewing gum they found in my purse. I had to put the toothpaste away lest the two would go on a mint rampage. Put Vicks on my chest when I had a cold, you would have thought I was the mecca for all cats.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Everybody has to guard their coffee cups at my mom's house, because her cat loves the taste, and will lap up as much as she can. It's not something cats should be allowed to have, though.

mistercatworks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never had a cat show an interest in coffee but one of mine thought valerian tea was the most INTERESTING smell in the world. She would do everything but climb into my mouth when I was drinking it.

Cat evolution has favored variety in all behaviors, which has led to the general observation "cats is cats".

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday drinks coffee out of your mug if you aren't watching him. Luckily for him I only drink decaf and I drink it very rarely. If I'm feeling benevolent (not often) I'll give him a sip.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't drink much coffee, but Radar always shows interest when I make a cup of tea. The first time he did this when he was a kitten, he stuck his face right over my steaming hot cup of tea and hurt his eye with the steam, had to have eye cream for a week after. Now every time he sees a cup of tea, he half-closes that eye, he obviously remembers that the tea hurt him but he still tries to get to the mug.

Once I was carrying a hot mug of tea from the kitchen to the sitting room and he leapt up and tried to grab it out of my hand

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mistercatworks

I've never had a cat show an interest in coffee but one of mine thought valerian tea was the most INTERESTING smell in the world. She would do everything but climb into my mouth when I was drinking it.

Cat evolution has favored variety in all behaviors, which has led to the general observation "cats is cats".
That doesn't surprise me, as valerian is in the catnip family. Have you ever just given her a valerian tea bag to play with? Or valerian cat toys?

grinder_7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Milo will jump up on ANY table and knock off anything that smells with coffee. He loathes the smell and has even tried to push the coffee maker off the counter tops.

A few weeks ago I was reading the Sunday paper when he jumped up and tipped of the cup.

WHY ARE WE DRINKING THAT POOPY WATER!

omg.lisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both my cats know that the best way to get my attention while I'm drinking my coffee, is to drop their mouse right into the cup.... DUH it's fetch time!!!

danigirl16003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mistercatworks

My cats when mad over valerian tea. I got loose tea one time and they tryed to climb in to the cupboard to get it. I don't even bring it in to my house now becsue of them.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't go mad for coffee, but he loves dill pickle chips, Doritos, eggs, and hash browns with ketchup . It he smells them, or hears/sees the chip bag, he goes nuts.

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one cat Lauren who LOVES Mesquite wood.
It's her catnip. If I'm coming back in from BBQing she's all over me.

I'll bring in a piece of it in for her every once and awhile.