Foster cat spraying

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey guys, I'm new to cats with litterbox issues (never been a problem with mine) so bear with me on this.

My foster cat, Sam, a neutered 2-year-old, has urinated outside the litterbox twice to my knowledge. He uses the litterbox when confined to my foster room, but over the past week I've let him have the run of the apartment for limited periods of time. He's also used the other litter boxes with no problem. However, he urinated in the fireplace over the weekend and on the floor and up against the radiator in my downstairs hallway. That was this morning. I didn't catch him in the act, but know it was him because he was poking around in both places right before I discovered it.

I'm wondering if this sounds like he's marking his territory more so than a possible UTI. I've got an appt for him at the vet this afternoon, just in case. Would have taken him sooner except I've been out of town for work.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The question is was he peeing or spraying? You didn't mention how much pee there was. Spraying is usually a few squirts at kitty nose level (if you catch him in the act, you'd see him back up and wiggle his tail as he does it) --that's territory marking. Luckily I've not seen it in my own house, but I've watched the alley cat do it to my garage

Peeing (squat and go--usually more liquid is released) would be more indicative of UTI. Then again when I first got Stanley he walked into the room with the litter box and peed in the opposite corner. I moved a box there and he's been fine. Maybe he doesn't like where the litter box is and he's trying to get you to relocate?

I think it's very possible that being in a new place, unsure of his position, he's staking out some territory for himself. He also could have a UTI from the stress of moving. Do you know how old he was when he was neutered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

The question is was he peeing or spraying? You didn't mention how much pee there was. Spraying is usually a few squirts at kitty nose level (if you catch him in the act, you'd see him back up and wiggle his tail as he does it) --that's territory marking. Luckily I've not seen it in my own house, but I've watched the alley cat do it to my garage

Peeing (squat and go--usually more liquid is released) would be more indicative of UTI. Then again when I first got Stanley he walked into the room with the litter box and peed in the opposite corner. I moved a box there and he's been fine. Maybe he doesn't like where the litter box is and he's trying to get you to relocate?

I think it's very possible that being in a new place, unsure of his position, he's staking out some territory for himself. He also could have a UTI from the stress of moving. Do you know how old he was when he was neutered?
Good question, but since I haven't actually seen him do, I don't know for sure. There was a fair amount of pee both times.

The thing is, he's been using the litterbox in his foster room just fine, which makes me think this has to do more to do with staking out his territory. It makes sense that it could be also be stress related. He's been through in the past few weeks, including having some dental work done and being poked and prodded by several different vets. He's a rescued stray and was only neutered about three weeks ago, so that could have something to do with it too.

Guess my best bet is to get him to the vet as planned and keep a close eye on him.

Thanks!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He was recently neutered, right? He's still got hormones....& might every once in awhile feel the urge to mark something.

Just make sure you clean the spots with an enzymatic cleaner. And tell him to quit it!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I took Sam to the vet yesterday after work, but she wasn't able to tell much because his bladder was small and empty. She felt around and couldn't detect any obstructions. Also, based on what I told her, the vet seems to think it's behavioral with Sam, not medical. Just to be sure, though, Sam's spending the day to get some testing done.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

He was recently neutered, right? He's still got hormones....& might every once in awhile feel the urge to mark something.

Just make sure you clean the spots with an enzymatic cleaner. And tell him to quit it!
I bet is is your boy's residual hormones. Also, when they're neutered late spraying is already a habit for some...here's to hoping that time will do the trick and the spraying habit will fade away with the hormones.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet just called. They were able to get a urine sample from Sam and everything's fine. Glad it's nothing medical. I'm hoping that because Sam has only sprayed twice that it isn't a habit per se and he gets those hormones out of system sooner rather than later.