Homeopathic remedies

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you use them? Do you believe in them? What do you think?

I have started using a homeopathic remedy for Derek's teething. The infant Motrin and Tylonel just weren't working for him and he was miserable. Our babysitter suggested homeopathy and I did some research and have decided to try 2 - Hyland Teething Tablets and Camilia by Bioron. Let me tell you - they seem to work wonders for him. With this success I am thinking of trying more homeopathy for myself.

How about you - what if any do you use?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I started using Bach rescue remedy a few months ago to help with my anxiety. It seems to help, need to use it more to see

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used Ginseng and Bee Pollen for energy for a long time. They are also really good for stress as well. I also have taken Glucosamine for a joint problem for about 3 years and it has helped quite a lot. That was actually recommended to me by my doctor.
The glucosamine can also be used for cats and dogs with arthritic conditions and there have been several studies that show that it is very effective.
My sister swears she survived menopause thanks to evening primrose oil.
So yes I think these treatments can be very affective but you just got to be careful with the dosages and it is a good idea to research a bit just in case there is a interaction problem...
Better safe then sorry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Arnica montana

allergy stuff( ones a spray one is a tablet )

nux vomica

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Homeopathy - no
Herbalism/medicinal botany - yes

Don't confuse the two.

If someone has a serious disease, taking a diluted 'remedy' will not help them. And I'm certainly not going to willingly take anything that contains heavy metals (mercury, arsenic, etc) no matter how diluted it is.

"Homeopathic formulas are based on the theory that even when a remedy is diluted with water to the point where no starting material remains, the water will retain a "memory" of what it was once in contact with. Homeopaths assert that the therapeutic potency of a remedy can be increased by serial dilution combined with succussion, or vigorous shaking. This dilution is often repeated such that there is no active molecule present in the solution. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

If you look it up elsewhere you'll find much the same information.

Supplements - vitamins, minerals, and use of herbs is much different.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i use them.

i take cranberry & vitamin c for prevention of bladder problems. i seem to be susceptible to them. of course, i watch my diet & caffeine intake too.

i also take acidophilus because i have something like IBD issues with food. it really seems to regulate it. i also like organic yogurt (only organic though, something in conventional milk/dairy disagrees with me) as a source of acidophilus.

i have a few herbal remedy teas i should use more often. one is for allergies, and the other is for womanly issues.
for my allergies i just use claritin & eye drops. i almost forgot, i have a neti pot that i use too.

i used cosequin, rescue remedy, and cranberry for raven when he was having bladder problems & anxiety. i don't think the rescue remedy did much though. amitriptylene & the feliway diffuser did more for that.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Herbalism here. Comfrey for cuts, Aloe for burns, Catnip and Chamomile for nerves. Tea Trea for acne. Sulfur for warts and acne. I almost sliced my toe in half while running and hit the floorboard, stupid me was in a hurry, cleaned and wrapped it in Comfrey and it was healed in a week, I always thought I needed stitches. I don't like going to doctors', always pushing medications with side-effects.

On another note, have you noticed all the drug commercials and drug adds in magazines? It seems to have tripled in the last 5-7 years.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose the hogwash one...the reason being a coworker of mine beleives in that, and her kids are ALWAYS sick..Poor things don't even get vaccinated..and she thinks this is good for her children..To me it seems shady..

I might try it someday, but I would never denounce vaccinations

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

I don't like going to doctors', always pushing medications with side-effects.

On another note, have you noticed all the drug commercials and drug adds in magazines? It seems to have tripled in the last 5-7 years.
Lots of stuff has side effects, even herbs, unfortunately.
I can't remember which show it was on Discovery Health channel I watched, but the one woman died from taking too many different supplements a day.

In the end, it's about balance. At this time I'm just on a daily anti inflammatory, without it I have pain flare ups that make walking nearly impossible - side effect is that it is a NSAIDs that can cause GI problems. Unfortunately, there isn't a herbal 'cure' or treatment that will fix the damage done to my pelvis.

I've noticed all the drug commercials too, sometimes the commercials are rather ridiculous. Medicine is a competitive business, hence commercials.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My sisters husband was brought up with his mother practically wearing white gloves, she always was afraid of germs going on her boy, now he is always sick I guess because he never got immune to those germs.

I believe in vaccinations, but, not some of the newer ones.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Homeopathy - no
Herbalism/medicinal botany - yes

Don't confuse the two.

If someone has a serious disease, taking a diluted 'remedy' will not help them. And I'm certainly not going to willingly take anything that contains heavy metals (mercury, arsenic, etc) no matter how diluted it is.

"Homeopathic formulas are based on the theory that even when a remedy is diluted with water to the point where no starting material remains, the water will retain a "memory" of what it was once in contact with. Homeopaths assert that the therapeutic potency of a remedy can be increased by serial dilution combined with succussion, or vigorous shaking. This dilution is often repeated such that there is no active molecule present in the solution. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

If you look it up elsewhere you'll find much the same information.

Supplements - vitamins, minerals, and use of herbs is much different.

I'm not real familiar with "homeopathy" but from reading that wikipedia article, there's a big difference between simply "natural" or "herbal" and true homeopathy. There are some natural remedies that I'm a big believer in...but homeopathy - eh, I don't know.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't for myself, but I have used homeopathic remedies for Sash for various things over the years. My vet is licensed in homeopathy, so she's prescribed quite a few for Sash, some have worked some have not. I do believe though in homeopathy and natural treatments for Sash's health and will continue to use them in the future. It does take time sometimes to find the right remedy, so it does take some patience to wait and see if it works, but he always seems to feel great and have a lot of energy and just feel better overall after a remedy was given to him. I think it would work the same for people.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have used/use Homeopathics on myself and my cats (in addition to my vets treatments). I have had great results with them, especially for my headaches. I used Homeopathics on our girl Aurora, when she had a very nasty viral upper respiratory infection. Since antibiotics would not work for this and the infection had gone on for 2 months. I used a combination of remedies and the infection cleared in 2 weeks after starting the homeopathics. I also used them to treat Aurora for a closed pyometra in combination with the vets treatment and antibiotics. Aurora's pyometra cleared with this treament

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have to be MUCH more CAREFUL with herbs and "natural meds" than homeopathy which is FDA regulated and regulated in EU ... Homeo[pathy has been proven effective and WITHOUT side effects ... NO it doesnt CURE and I would NOT use just it in a LIFE theatening situation but I find it to be great and far less costly and more effective for me ... the girls use some but the use alot of herbals as RX ed by the two vets

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really know much about homeopathy, either, but I must admit that the explanation given by Strange Wings does sound a lot like something I'd hose down the pigs with. If I, y'know, had pigs.

If that explanation is accurate, then I don't know how to explain my recent experience. As you may know, diabetics are especially vulnerable to certain kinds of problems, including yeast trouble, and the expensive traditional medicine my doctor kept prescribing only helped me for a month or two -- then I'd have to go back to her for another prescription.

About three months ago, when I had a recurrence less than three weeks after my last course of treatment, I called her office and begged for another prescription, because I just couldn't afford yet another exam and lab work when we both knew perfectly well what I had.

But after probably seven or eight visits regarding this issue in the past three years, she still wouldn't prescribe without seeing me again. AUGH! I know there are times when that kind of caution is called for, but... this just wasn't one of them.

So instead of making an appointment, I did some research about home remedies and herbals and homeopathic medicines, and I ended up trying some homeopathic tablets called AZO Yeast. After a week of using them three times a day, I cut back to one a day for maintenance, and I've had no trouble whatsoever since then.

So however crazy homeopathic theory may sound... I can vouch for the effectiveness of this particular medicine, at least.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

So instead of making an appointment, I did some research about home remedies and herbals and homeopathic medicines, and I ended up trying some homeopathic tablets called AZO Yeast. After a week of using them three times a day, I cut back to one a day for maintenance, and I've had no trouble whatsoever since then.
Do you know exactly what was in them? If all the contents weren't listed there could have very well been a probotic in them that would have helped.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Do you know exactly what was in them? If all the contents weren't listed there could have very well been a probotic in them that would have helped.
Hmm...I was curious.

http://www.azoproducts.com/drugfactyeast.html

INGREDIENTS: Each tablet represents Boneset (Eupatorium perfoliatum) 6x, Mistletoe Leaf (Viscum album) 6x in a natural base containing Lactobacillus Sporogenes, Cellulose, Lactose and Maltodextrin.

I added the bold.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's the stuff. The bottle says it's homeopathic, but... homeopathic, sociopathic, sympathetic, whatever it is, it works!