Tuna-Junkies

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I made a grand mistake believing that fish ant cats go together.

Basically I did the bubu with Singa. When I got Soleil later she just goes for the same food as I give Singa.

I always tried to give Singa variety of different foods - both in wet and dry. Staying away from the 'unhealthy' supermarket brands.

Whereas with the dry (Royal Canine) Singa has always been fine. But at some point Singa got extremely fussy with the wet foods. I started out with several brands and several meat types. She hates the ones that are all mashed up. She hates if it is kept in the fridge for a day - and in the end I started buying the 1-serving ones which are Tiki Cat and Fussy Cat (since I didn't want to go for Fancy Cat- as I heard they are no better than Whiskas and the other over salted brands). Those two brands only offer sardines and tuna with all kinds of additives e.g. shrimps, white fish, salmon etc.

Singa loves them - and Soleil of course does too.

What I did not know is that it is not healthy to give cats fish all the time - especially tuna. Now I am trying to change their diet - the vet recommended "Addiction" - which you can get as possum and eel.

They just won't go for it! I tried mixing it gradually into their food. If it is one or two tea spoons they are ok - everything more than that, they won't touch it anymore.

What can I do to make them eat healthier food?????

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the dry food available to them all the time? If it is, I would suggest switching to "meals", to help them become more open minded about other foods. I had a hard time getting my cats to try new things when they still had dry food available all the time. They were never truly hungry, so they weren't very adventurous about other foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Is the dry food available to them all the time? If it is, I would suggest switching to "meals", to help them become more open minded about other foods. I had a hard time getting my cats to try new things when they still had dry food available all the time. They were never truly hungry, so they weren't very adventurous about other foods.
That could be an issue... in fact I free-feed them and always have both dry and wet available for them. But usually they tend to go more for the wet than for the dry...

Actually I have a couple of feeding issues... My older cat is really getting fat - could it be because se is also eating the kitten dryfood? Since I free-feed both I mix adult and kitten dry together so that they both at least get the nutrients they need. But when I showered Singa a couple of days ago, I noticed she has become really fat since I got Soleil. Any ideas on how to put her on a diet???

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
control portions and Wet food shouldnt be left out more than an hour or so at a time

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still have no luck changing their food

I have now switched to more common brands - NB, Eagle Pack, Evolve, Solid Gold, Avoderm- mixing it with the tuna. Using NB and Evolve they at least had a bite or two, but Eagle pack and Solid Gold they didn't even touch at all. I mix it about 1.5:1 (more tuna than the other wet food).

I am hardly giving them dry so that they are actually very hungry, but still they won't really eat it.

And now they wake me at night asking for food - or yummy food.

I really doin't know what to do to get them to eat the healthier choice!!!

Pls help if you can! I really need some advice!
Thanks

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried putting a few pieces of dry on top of the wet that they won't eat? Push several kibbles down into the food, exposed enough that they can smell the kibble, but deep enough that they have to dig them out a little.

There are some good tips and info at www.catinfo.org

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i thought of that... i used to do that when singa was little

but singa usually neglects to chew it properly and then it all comes out again... sheesh....

will try tho!
thanks