Cat food....

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok you guys are getting sick of me posting on here about cat food.
But, I'm going to start switching PHX over from his Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula to something healthier! Can you guys give me some good suggestions?
I'm looking for a good, healthy food.. that is a good price. I don't have alot of money, so be easy on me

Now, I was told that this purina cat chow indoor forumula is not healthy for him. Is it just this particular brand I'm giving him... or is ALL Purina not good?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to stay within a budget. I think the purina one, regular, and sensitive system are good, for a commercial product, and my cats like them both. For wet, I give trader joes turkey and giblets, and science diet Turkey.
I read the ingredients on all of these, and from what I learned here, these are not too bad for the price.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks to the CatSite, I switched to Merricks canned, it cost more, but, so much more healthier than any other I have tried. They like it too, they did not like anything I bought at major pet stores or major grocery stores. I would always have to feed my dog whatever they did not like because I was wasting $.

They eat less when on the Merricks. I can't believe it, they don't need so much food, I guess their appitites are satisfied in one sitting. One can a day and some dry for two cats seems to work for me.

nausicaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now, I was told that this purina cat chow indoor forumula is not healthy for him. Is it just this particular brand I'm giving him... or is ALL Purina not good?
I think Purina One is supposed to be decent. Not the best, but not bad, neither.

My cat's currently on Chicken Soup. The brand's not involved with the recalls, the ingredients are good (although it's got a lot of...stuff in there, so it might not work if your kitty has a sensitive tummy/allergies/UTI), and it's reasonably-priced. I buy the 18 lb. bags, which only cost around $20.

Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care is also supposed to be very good, and the 20 lb. bags only cost aound $30 at my Petsmart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nausicaa

I think Purina One is supposed to be decent. Not the best, but not bad, neither.

My cat's currently on Chicken Soup. The brand's not involved with the recalls, the ingredients are good (although it's got a lot of...stuff in there, so it might not work if your kitty has a sensitive tummy/allergies/UTI), and it's reasonably-priced. I buy the 18 lb. bags, which only cost around $20.

Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care is also supposed to be very good, and the 20 lb. bags only cost aound $30 at my Petsmart.
I keep hearing people talk about that chicken soup.... it must be good since everyone's talking about it

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys have gotten Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul for nearly two years now (wow, I can't believe they've been with me for so long!!
) and they've always done great on it. Its a good food (no corn, no wheat, no byproducts) for a great price. The only difficulty is finding it.

Here's their website if you want to check it out, including ingredients and a location finder. http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...products/cats/

gr1m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten eats purina one healthy kitten formula, He likes it and its great theres nothing wrong with purina. Just my 2 cents.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fed Timber Wolf Organics Serengeti. Its grain free and for the price its not to bad. On their website you can buy directly through them the shipping is free if the order is over over 15.00 so thats like two 4 lb bags of it or like me a 16 lbs bag for 33.00 no shipping.

For canned we switched to Eagle Pack. I can get a 5.5oz can (for one cat last 2 days or 4 feedings) for just under a dollar a can. Ping really likes it. The flavors he really likes is Turkey/Barley and Chicken/Lamb. He does not like the Duck/Oatmeal.

I would look for grain free dry and wet foods. I now try to stay away from that. Also make sure the first what 5 ingredients are meat or meat sources not by-products or no name meats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken soup is the cheapest at a feed store ... at least here ... about 18 $ for 18 lb ...

Natural choice is about$28 for a 20lb around here

Solid gold is 15lb for 15-25$ just depends how close they are to the distubutor

Grain frees are more money plus coming off grocery it may be hard to get PHX to eat it

for wets well I am using Wellness as many of my stand by s have had recalls

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
My cats eat California Natural dry. They love it (even Joshua, who's always been extremely picky about new foods accepted it right away)
The ingredients are very good (real chicken, some rice and no corn) and it's not that expensive. An 8lb bag costs me $25 and it lasts a month (for two cats). At first it didn't last that long, but the amount the cat eat has gone down ever since they've been on that food.

Nutro is also a good choice. A bit cheaper too. But it gave Kinah lots of gas (she's always kind of gassy, but when she was eating Nutro, I almost needed a gas mask to be around her
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Chicken soup is the cheapest at a feed store ... at least here ... about 18 $ for 18 lb ...

Natural choice is about$28 for a 20lb around here

Solid gold is 15lb for 15-25$ just depends how close they are to the distubutor

Grain frees are more money plus coming off grocery it may be hard to get PHX to eat it

for wets well I am using Wellness as many of my stand by s have had recalls
I think I am going to try out the Chicken Soup.... I live pretty much in Phoenix and I found alot of places around me that sell it... I just did a search on the internet. Do you have any good recommendations on switching him over to that food?

When I first got PHX the lady I got him from was weird and when I asked her what she fed him, she said she didn't know
So that's when i just put him on Purina.. I didn't have any other food to give him? He took to that very well, didn't get sick at all.. runny stools for a couple days, but not bad really. So he switched over good then, and I hope he will now

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SLOWLY ... say PHX eats a cup a day ... for 3 days use 1/4 cup of chn soup and 3/4 cup purina ... then 3 days at 50/50 ... the 3/4 cup of chn soup ...1/4 cup purina

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Phx doesn't like the Chicken Soup (neither of mine would touch it), try the California Natural Chicken and Rice. I don't know how the price compares between the two, and I can't remember how much I paid for a big bag of Cal Natural a couple weeks ago (I tend to block stuff out that I'd rather not think about
), but the bag lasts a long time for two cats.

Also, someone mentioned Nutro. I understand that's a pretty decent quality (better than Purina) and not as pricey. The Nutro CC has had mixed reviews at my house, but they eat it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

If Phx doesn't like the Chicken Soup (neither of mine would touch it), try the California Natural Chicken and Rice. I don't know how the price compares between the two, and I can't remember how much I paid for a big bag of Cal Natural a couple weeks ago (I tend to block stuff out that I'd rather not think about
), but the bag lasts a long time for two cats.

Also, someone mentioned Nutro. I understand that's a pretty decent quality (better than Purina) and not as pricey. The Nutro CC has had mixed reviews at my house, but they eat it.
Cal natural at least here runs about 40% more than chn soup

kittysmother

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm giving my kitty Pet Promise since all of the recalls. Dr. Weil puts his stamp of approval on it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another one you could think about, Nutro MAX cat. I believe it costs me $20 for 20 lb? I dunno....I think it costs about the same as Chicken Soup for me!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Cal natural at least here runs about 40% more than chn soup
I just called the store where I get the Cal Natural and it's $9.79 for 4 lbs and $17.49 for 8 lbs. Chicken Soup is $8.99 for 6 lbs and $21.99 for 18 lbs.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I just called the store where I get the Cal Natural and it's $9.79 for 4 lbs and $17.49 for 8 lbs. Chicken Soup is $8.99 for 6 lbs and $21.99 for 18 lbs.
WOW

yep it is alot more...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

it really does vary from place to place. here, the chicken soup is my least expensive option for a higher quality dry. dry is necessary because my senior cat refuses to eat wet...
she also does not care for most of the grain-free drys. orijen is the only one she showed any liking for, & it's 2.5 times more expensive, especially after i factor in shipping. nobody carries it, locally. i also feed the chicken soup wet, with some homemade mixed in for my wet food eaters.